Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    Sweden joins the good guys!
    Turkey has agreed to back Sweden's NATO bid, alliance chief says | CNN Politics

Glad to announce that after the meeting I hosted with @RTErdogan & @SwedishPM, President Erdogan has agreed to forward #Sweden’s accession protocol to the Grand National Assembly ASAP & ensure ratification. This is an historic step which makes all #NATO Allies stronger & safer,” Stoltenberg said in a tweet after a meeting in the Lithuanian capital of Vilnius.

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    I used the math to illustrate a broader point, not to define an exact timeline. That said, you do realize most of Ukraine's successful counter advances occurred before Western machinery arrived in bulk? They are able to move much quicker now in theory, but they're not, because of how Russia has dug in on the front lines. The mine fields have neutralized one of the biggest advantages of having those Western assets. Ukraine is moving slower today than before the new equipment arrived. While it may be true Ukraine is only using <25% of its force to counterattack along the front lines, that's smart considering the situation on the ground. If they went all in, it would be a slaughter and the war would end very quickly in a way that is not in Ukraine's interests.

Clearing mines doesn't mean much to me as it is time consuming, counterproductive and Russia will continue laying the mines. When you consider Ukraine have only regained 50 square miles of territory (that's using the Ukraine defense ministry's number), there hasn't been much clearing of anything. 50 square miles is roughly the size of Ocala proper. Except in this case, Ukraine have recaptured 50 square miles of mostly village, farmlands and territory they lost a few months ago near Bakhmut.

The advance has slowed to a crawl, if you even want to call it an advance. Zelenskyy has all but admitted that in the past few days. There's no point in trying to make it seem more successful than it has been when Ukraine's commander-in-chief is telling you they are disappointed in how it's playing out.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Did Erd get EU concessions or promises for this?

4. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    Why would they need concessions? The operative question is what did Turkey get. I imagine continued/enhanced access to US weapons systems which he desperately want seen that Russian system are total crap

5. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not sure if it was on the table but I think Turkey was also making noises about wanting EU membership or partial membership.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    they wanted EU membership or return of Turks in exile in Sweden and delegation of Turk group as terrorists if memory is correct.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I have no idea what’s going on.

8. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Russia brought this on themselves and they have positioned themselves are an adversary. They took over Crimea, then eastern Ukraine, they had previously invaded Georgia, they were meddling in the US and other elections (which I understand is a feature not a bug for you) and they were fueling a western lean towards populist authoritarianism (again, a feature not a bug for you). They were murdering and poisoning people all over Europe. Russia chose to invade, and Ukraine chose to fight back. The US, along with Western Europe chose to support Ukraine against our adversary. It was in our best interests to do so. If left unchecked Putin continued pressure on Eastern European countries and continues to push western populist authoritarianism (yes, which you like). And if we stepped aside when China eventually invades Taiwan I 100% guarantee you that you would have been among those saying Biden caused it by letting Russia roll into Ukraine.

By uniting behind Europe and supporting Ukraine, we have

- Greatly diminished Russias power and standing in the world
    - unified Europe and got them to up their defense spending
    - helped to break German and European dependence on Russia natural gas
    - helped boost the US fossil fuel industry as a substitute.
    - Possibly cause China to think twice about invading Taiwan or anybody else.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  9. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Classic neo-con take. Were you here praising Trump when he was attempting to get Europe to up their defense spending and break their dependence on Russian gas? Interesting that you believe we needed a catastrophic war to achieve those ends.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So instead of addressing the specifics you call me a neocon and praise Trump?

Did Trumps rants and scolding make any difference? Of course not. That’s not how diplomacy works and everybody thought he was an ass and idiot. It doesn’t matter that he was right in this instance - when you lie all the time and act like an idiot nobody listens to you.

A neocon tends to support wars based mainly on ideological and moralistic objectives. I view our support for Ukraine as in our best interests. Sometimes doing what is in our best interest can actually ideologically appeasing also.

I’m not sure how anybody concludes it is in our interest to let Russia March into Ukraine and threaten the rest of Eastern Europe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    it’s par for the course just ignore it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    So, in other words, war with hundreds of thousands of dead bodies is better than Trump being an "ass" for asking Europe to deliver on what they had already promised. Got it.

Like so many of our previous neo-con adventures, this one will likely end up costing us more than it saves.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    clearly you don’t got it lol because what you just said makes no sense. War is not better, but maybe you should be pissed at Russia for invading and not at the us for helping Ukraine. Just a thought.

14. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Or perhaps you’re someone who simply can’t keep your emotions in check, which is why you think every American should be so pissed off at Russia that we want to send banned munitions to Ukraine so they can blow up a lot of their own people. Key words being Russia and Ukraine. ie two countries that we have very little direct dealings or trade with. You think war is so bad? Why do you want to stoke the flames in a foreign land that isn’t attacking us? (hint: the pro-Vietnam War doctrine isn’t going to convince me)

15. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Ukraine wants to fight for their freedom and homeland. We aren’t forcing them. Who are we to stop them? So your position is that from a humanitarian perspective we should let Russia assimilate them? Bizarre.

16. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Actually, we are. Ukraine has been looking towards NATO ascension for years and NATO (U.S. and U.K.) have told them "you want to join NATO? Well, then you'll need to handle this first." Otherwise, to your first point, great. Let them fight and defend their homeland. We stay out of it. Not our fight.

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Impressively myopic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    We spend a trillion a year on defense and we’re down to cluster munitions a tired and frazzled workforce and tranny officers …

upload_2023-7-11_10-11-55.jpeg

19. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022

20. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    isolationist gibberish. We don’t have direct dealings with Russia?! Lol ok.
    Also why in the hell do you keep posting about emotions? You may think you’re being cold and logical and emotionless but you aren’t. Cold maybe, but definitely not the other two. I’ve made clear my position, no reason to keep discussing it in what is supposed to be a war update thread. If you want to keep discussing the pros/cons of us involvement start your own thread. I’m done filling this one with useless arguments with you and won’t respond again unless it’s a war update.