Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I suspect that military families are probably better versed on history and the dangers of communist countries like Russia. My family has no one in the military that I can think of (my father worked as a civilian for the Navy), but I guess I've always had an interest in historical wars, a respect for people in the military, and a distrust of communist countries and dictators. I travel internationally a fair amount for work, so I have to understand what kind of country I am going to.

2. cron78

cron78 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2022
    Us pierogie loving folks with Ukrainian heritage (and Polish and Welsh and Manx) hope so.

3. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    And you're o.k. with that? You're o.k. with Russia getting control of Ukraine's metals/steel production? That will only cause Russia to expand their production of military equipment. You're o.k. with Russia getting control over the world's breadbasket? Because Russia has demonstrated a willingness to let people around the world starve if they don't do what Putin says. Russia gaining Ukraine's natural resources makes them stronger, without question. Ukraine, even if it does have corruption, has no history of invading other countries, but Russia does. Supporting Russia's invasion of Ukraine means that you are likely willing to accept future Russian invasions of other neighbors.

Beyond the foolishness of your statement, I would have to ask, who made you the decider of who are the good guys and who are the bad guys? Yes, Ukraine has some corruption in its past. Zelenskyy has shown a willingness to arrest people for corruption. Sounds like a good first step to me. Or is perfection the only acceptable condition? Or are you waiting for Tucker Carlson to tell you that Ukraine has become one of the good guys?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Almost as bad as people parroting Kremlin propaganda lambasting others for anything.

• Like Like x 1
  5. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    I would say most conservatives are against funding a proxy war in Ukraine, at this point. Of the three major candidates in the presidential election, the two candidates conservatives are most likely to vote for are both signaling we need to get out. I don't think that's something they talk about if it's going to grate the base. And then the one candidate conservatives are less likely to vote for seems to have a blank check for Ukraine to keep fighting.

Neo-conservatives are definitely on board with fighting it out in Ukraine, but the conservative base, if you look at the polling numbers by and large, oppose funding a war in Ukraine.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  6. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Not sure how you got that out of what I said. My post was in reply to a different conversation point. I hope Ukraine wins. I’m fine with giving them equipment and training. I’m not okay with sending billions to them with no mechanism for oversight or accounting. I’m not okay with their glorification as some bastion of democracy as has been done for the last 15 months.

Lumping me in with Tucker? I don’t believe in giving negative ratings, so Come On Man.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. defensewinschampionships

Sep 16, 2018
    I’m with you. I’d like them to win. But if I’m being honest, this is about like me rooting for Auburn when they play Georgia. Not because I like Ukraine, but because I want Russia to lose.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. defensewinschampionships

Sep 16, 2018
    I was using the simplicity of language that has been driven home by the media these last months. Democracy vs Tyranny. Good guys vs bad guys.

Of course Ukraine should stay sovereign. Of course the citizens are victims. Of course I hope they win. But damn, this board and the public in general is holding them up as some sort of beacon of light in a darkened world. So yes “the really evil guys vs the not very good guys” would have been a better way of saying it. But my point came across

9. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I think you just explained why there is not a lot of enthusiasm for republican candidates right now. I don't consider myself a neo-conservative (I never voted for GWB, for example), and I support helping Ukraine. Actually, in the House of Representatives, I believe it's the pro-Trump idiots in the Republican Party (MTG, Boebert, Santos, and Gaetz) who are most vocal about not spending money on Ukraine. They may be loud idiots, but I don't think they speak for the entire party.

Spending money on Ukraine is the smartest defense money we can spend, period. Ukraine is reducing Russia's military AND economy (with help from sanctions) to ashes. When we spend money on the latest defense technology, there is a good chance that it will be obsolete before we can even use it (ever heard of littoral ships?). That does little to hurt our adversaries or advance world peace. What Ukraine is doing is hurting Russia and helping world peace. By providing older weapons to Ukraine, it amplifies their destructive power against the Russian military. We've seen it happen before, as our support for Afghan fighters destroyed the Russian military and helped precipitate the collapse of the USSR. Why are you against that outcome? Why would you rather spend trillions on weapons that may become obsolete before they are needed than on something that actually hurts one of our main adversaries?

And in many cases, we are sending weapons out of warehouses, not from our active military or from a production line somewhere. We have a total of 10,000 Abrams tanks, and half of them are in storage. Why do we need 5,000 tanks in storage? How does that hurt our enemies more than what Ukraine is doing right now?

Listen closely. Every dollar we spend on Ukraine right now will, if Ukraine wins the war, save us $10-100 down the road (within a decade). Look at what happened to our defense spending in the 1990's--it was nearly cut in half. Why could we afford to do that? Because Russia was defeated and bankrupted. This is exactly what led Bill Clinton (a poor excuse for a president by any definition) to be able to reduce our budget deficit to nearly zero, in combination with the internet economy. All because we sent some Stinger missiles to Afghanistan and made some broad claims about Star Wars defenses. We should try to avoid being penny-wise and pound-foolish, as the British saying goes.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    An interesting story about how Putin is cannibalizing the Russian economy in a desperate attempt to win the war.

How Putin Cannibalizes Russian Economy to Survive Personally

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    I was raised in a military family but am liberal. I wonder if this is a military thing? Like if were raised hearing about it or living it you understand the bigger picture better? Idk.

12. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    again sanctimonious. And wrong. Par for the course. And stop telling people to be objective when you have failed to do so yourself. I am not required to be “objective” about a war of conquest against a free country.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Most of the people on this thread have you on ignore. I have been nominated by the few who don't have you on ignore to ridicule the absurdity of your posts mercilessly. I only ridicule your absurd posts, of course. Which is practically all of them. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    No, it's a liberal thing. I see articles in liberal media all the time calling for us to double-down on military aid to Ukraine. You would have never seen that 15 or 20 years ago. Trump flipped the script and sold Republicans on isolationism. Meanwhile, Democrats think Russia stole the 2016 election and so there's no end to their support for military aid to Ukraine and they would probably go further if allowed. After all, Putin is responsible for the 3 SCOTUS justices and all of the other tragedies of the Trump administration. Gotta get him!

15. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Partly free...

[​IMG]

16. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Russian shills gonna shill. Despicable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    The conservative base of the Republican Party isn’t very conservative any more is it?

18. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Pure conservatism isn't looking for wars all over the world.

19. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think if you polled the House of Representatives or MAGA Nation, you'd get a very different result.

20. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    You’re doing yeoman’s work.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1