Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    I hope so. seeing Some reports Ukraine is running into stiffer resistance and mines are causing havoc. A few videos of Bradley & leopard tank hulls; probably result of mines. Also Russian helicopters are on the hunt.

But also seeing a few reports the Ukraine Army is fighting towards Melitpol with mention of attempts to cut Russia army in half(?)

Below is a good example how difficult an offensive is without air against a well dug-in enemy. Below is to take out a 100ft trench with just a few Russians fighting from it (I assume this is current).
    This Ukrainian offensive will be challenging and the public needs to be ready for a difficult battle with heavy losses. No more silver bullets like the javelin and himars.

per your earlier point, a key advantage for Ukrainians is they are fighting to defend their homes, cities, prevent killing of civilians, mass rape and children being kidnapped. Russians are invading because they joined for money and gov/Putin is forcing them to for some nebulous reason they seem unsure about.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Guys don’t buy the Russian propaganda. The same video of one failed attack are being used to color the whole offensive as a failure. The offensive will take time and be costly. It is what it is. If they can do what they’re trying to do they could not only split the Russian army but perhaps even force an end to the war.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    I'm not sure how this displays on mobile, but on PC when you click the icons, Bombing, Tank/Anti-Tank, etc, it takes you to the video clip on Twitter so you can see exactly what happened at that location.

5. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    It was used on Funker530's YouTube channel is how I learned of it.

You can search for it on google. I searched "GeoConfirmed Map"

This is what the link looks like:

geoconfirmed.PNG

6. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    @PITBOSS I think I'm looking at an older version. Let me get this working, because it's pretty dang neat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
  8. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
  9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Yep. You’re going to see mixed results for a while. I’m not sure if “a while” means days, weeks, or months.
    Well, I hope so, but that seems like a pretty optimistic goal. As you say, it will all play out and not in real time as we wish it would. We will have to be patient and watch how ground actually changes hands. Because of course both sides are going to tell us that it’s going their way right up until the point that they can no longer deny the truth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It works, just allow extra time for the page to load.

11. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    I don’t think Putin is even saying that. “The Ukrainian offensive has still yet to be undermined.” But in any case, you have to take the leopard tank destructions seriously, as best I can tell, only a couple dozen or so have been delivered to Ukraine thus far. Taking out 7 of them would be pretty significant if that number is accurate. The Abrams tanks are still months away.

12. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    Yep. Def means the Russians are going to win now. Of course. Thanks for reminding us.

In all seriousness I only saw verification of 2, one of which was towed back for repairs. Maybe most important is those crews weren’t killed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    I don’t see anyone here saying that and if they are, I guess I have them on ignore. Whatever the number is, the more Russia destroys will indicate they’ve controlled the skies and again, there are a very limited supply of these tanks. The counteroffensive just began a few days ago and yes, the first stages will be difficult for Ukraine, but if they keep losing tanks, it’s probably not going to go well. Hardly a disorganized mess on the Russian front lines, thus far.

14. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Looks like the Ukrainians are not the only ones taking damage from Russian mines. Russian troops are also setting off their own mines when they retreat from forward positions. The U.S. supplied 155mm howitzer shells with a range of 11 miles that lay down mines when they land.

Reports of Russian casualties as they 'withdraw through their own minefields' driven back by Ukraine's counteroffensive, UK intel says

• Like Like x 1
  17. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ukraine making good progress. They are already breaking through the first lines of defense in some areas. If Ukraine can capture the town of Tokmak, 10 miles from the front lines, they will be able to cut off occupied parts of Crimea from Donbas. Ukraine has advanced almost a mile in the Bahkmut area, increasing the risk of Russian troops in the city being encircled.

Ukraine war: Kyiv breaks through Russia's first defensive lines

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  18. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What has happened to the Wagner troops?

19. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Gone to Bakhmut. Don’t worry. They’re fine. If they haven’t written for a while, just be patient. Happy days will be here again soon. Glory to Marshall Putin!

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Yeah, I think the take away from this, along with Putin's 1000+ tank brigade being rendered scrap metal--pretty much the take away from this war thus far--is that the age of tank has simply passed. The seem like little more than sitting duck multi-person coffins with cannons mounted on top of them.

Kinda like bow and arrows, shield and swords, and mounted horses...all had their day (era). Until a war came along, and exposed their antiqued obsolescence.

Guided missiles, drones, tank killers...so many ways to destroy these things, while what they can destroy, is mostly just....other tanks. And smaller buildings I suppose.

That's my take away, anyway.

Jmho/fwiw.