Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Russians need stronger bullets. It turns out that all someone needs to stop a Russian bullet is a loaf of Ukrainian bread. No wonder they're losing this war.

Russian bullet stopped by loaf of bread amid attack on Ukrainian military vehicles near Bakhmut – photo (yahoo.com)

Russians are robbing Ukraine's bakeries to get loaves of bread to glue to their tanks, in the hope of stopping the Ukrainian onslaught.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This expert believes that Russia losing four aircraft in a single day will cause Russians to give up hope on the war and look forward to seeing the war end in any way possible.

Expert says more and more Russians want to end war against Ukraine, on any terms (yahoo.com)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Ukraine says they didn't do it.

Wagner chief says they were all with a 25 mile radius with russian anti-aircraft battery within the radius. look at what was in the radius and you tell me...paraphrasing the quote I can't find. Friendly fire? Sabotage taking over russian position and using sams?

4. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fruitcake, I could understand - that would stop a .50 cal. But bread?

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hoping to see this beast ferrying arms across the pond to help fight Russia

Canada Confiscated Russia's Monster Plane and Gave It to Ukraine (msn.com)

For over a year, a massive An-124 Ruslan cargo plane has been sitting on the tarmac of Toronto’s Pearson International Airport. The jet, with serial numbers RA-82078, had landed there on February 27, 2022 carrying a cargo of Covid-19 rapid tests—just four days after Russia launched its massive invasion of Ukraine. That same day, Canada’s transport minister closed Canadian airspace to all Russian-operated aircraft, keeping the An-124 grounded.

Following an April 11, 2023 meeting between Ukrainian and Canadian prime ministers Denys Shmyhal and Justin Trudeau, Ottawa now plans to confiscate the plane and give it to Ukraine. This decision was made on the basis of a legal ruling by a Ukraine court that Russia’s Federal Air Transport Agency had illegally approved air-worthiness certification for all twelve of Volga Dnepr’s An-124s.

Antonov Airlines, a branch of the Ukrainian state-owned company which designed the An-124, will undoubtedly receive the craft. And to add insult to injury, Russia is still on the hook for over $330,000 USD equivalent in parking fees for the over 400 days spent in impoundment.

Aptly codenamed Condor by NATO, the 200-ton jet—capable of hefting 150 tons of cargo and roughly 50 tons of fuel—is the reigning T-Rex of heavy lift aviation. It’s the largest operational aircraft in the world, ever since Ukraine’s even larger An-225 cargo jet was destroyed in the battle of Hostomel airport last year. A uniquely upgraded An-124-100-150M was also damaged in the Hostomel fight.

• Like Like x 2
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So it was carrying cargo to help
    Save Canadian lives, and grey impounded it and now are giving it to Russia’s enemy?
    Doesn’t exactly seem to help gift giving or humanitarian aid in the future.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't think many will feel sorry for Russia. The value of this aircraft is a tiny drop in the ocean compared to the havoc and distruction Putin has caused.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

M.I.T. is studying my recently cooked sirloin steak.

So far:
    50 Caliber
    HIMARS
    50 Kiloton Blasts

The steak is impenetrable to all these devices.

My ex wife, 2 sons, and 3 sisters all confirm that this is real.............

Last edited: May 15, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn’t say we should feel sorry for Russia.
    Only that impeding on the long standing idea that humanitarian and medical efforts are outside of war is dangerous.

10. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Comrade Putin, I have Pneumonic Plague!
    I wanna go suck on my vodka ba ba and go to bed.

11. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    It was a commercial shipment that the Russian company was paid for. There was nothing humanitarian to it, purely transactional

14. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    What this war shows is it is a lot easier to inflict damage, via drones, rockets, etc, than to gain and take territory. Unless one side can decisively take over and drive the other side out to some degree they will always be sitting ducks. I would think this favors Ukraine, it is their homeland and they can do this indefinitely. I guess Russia can too but it really serves no long term purpose for them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    While true, I think it would be quite easy for US forces to take ground in this conflict.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    It appears that these were routine missions using long glide guided bombs and Ukraine set up the attack. Likely a patriot system moved forward and then retreated

Russia may have just lost four aircraft in one day. Here's what we know | CNN
    Daniil Bezsonov, a Russian military blogger, posted Saturday that “The enemy most likely acted from an ambush by its air defense forces, which had moved into the border zone in advance, from which the distance would allow our air group to be hit. So the enemy most likely knew the route and time of our air group’s departure.”
    There was also consternation among Russian bloggers that one Mi-8 helcopter shot down had advanced jamming equipment.

Kommersant reported that the “fighters were to carry out a missile-bombing strike on targets in the Chernihiv Region of Ukraine, while the helicopters were to back them up, including to pick up the Su crews if they were shot down by enemy fire. All four machines did not return to the airfield. Their pilots were killed.”

The Kommersant report cannot be independently verified. But other Russian sources have begun discussing the incident, with one popular Telegram channel that posts about the conflict saying: “We are talking about a carefully planned [Ukrainian] operation here.”

17. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Really interesting in many respects.
    Thank you G8tr.

That is certainly a reasonable explanation.
    I had in mind some sabatouers with weapons but I like your information.

18. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Is he dead?

Belarus Leader and Putin Ally Alexander Lukashenko Rumored Dead Following Sudden Hospitalization (msn.com)

Vladimir Putin ally Alexander Lukashenko is rumored to be dead after the Belarus president was suddenly rushed to the hospital last week, RadarOnline.com has learned.

In a sudden development to come just days after Putin placed ten nuclear aircraft carriers in Belarus amid Russia’s ongoing war against Ukraine, Lukashenko was reportedly rushed to the hospital and is rumored to be seriously ill, in a coma, or deceased.

Lukashenko was last seen in Moscow on Tuesday, May 9, while attending Russia’s Victory Day parade alongside Putin. The Belarus president was reportedly rushed to the airport shortly after the festivities with an ambulance in tow.

According to insiders, Lukashenko returned to Belarus and was taken to a hospital in Minsk before being placed in a medically-induced coma.

19. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I don’t either, frankly. I’m glad for it, of course, but I don’t see how losing four aircraft will make them quit after the much more significant manpower losses they have sustained to date.