Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Props and Congratulations to Ukraine for a partial turning of the flanks near Bahkmut.

A marvelous turn of events.

Well done!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sometimes, this is the value of local knowledge.
    I remember the US a while back suggesting to Ukraine that they let Bakhmut go and regroup for defense.
    But Ukraine knows Russia and Russian politics and tactics. That battle may now be the one hat breaks Russia. It’s already driven a massive wedge between Wagner and Putin (who Putin needs desperately), they’ve lost thousands of men there, and now it looks like Ukraine has the upper hand (5 sq. Km gained just today apparently), which would be a terrible PR blow for Putin and leave a hole in their line.
    Russian troops ‘fall back to regroup’ north of Ukraine’s Bakhmut

• Like Like x 2
  3. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lost a flanker and a fullback less than a week after Russia's own invincible super-missile couldn't cross the goal line. And these guys were fighters, and they were really fast--they could fly. Then they lost two of their top super-helicopters with a new secret stink bomb weapon (code named "EW"), which was 10% of their "EW" force. All this with their offensive line collapsing--Putin is going to have to scramble with two bad hips (Misery rating = 8), or he might get sacked before he can throw the long bomb. They were almost out of bounds in their own stadium when this happened. Russia better hope it doesn't lose anybody at the defensive positions, or they are going to get whipped and have to think about using their special teams, which could get ugly. This game is turning into a war. (This new AI system for interpreting news reports is great--I have the language set to "football".)

Four Russian Aircraft Shot Down Within Their Own Borders (yahoo.com)

Last edited: May 14, 2023
  4. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I’m curious what “EW” means in this context. In U.S. military speak it refers to electronic warfare. While the Russians might have EW-capable helicopters, we certainly don’t. All of our EW aircraft are high-speed, high-altitude (such as the EF-18G) for maximum effect. I’m not sure what good having an EW-capable helicopter would be.

5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
  6. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    The "EW" does mean electronic warfare. My interpretation was a joke (as in "ewww!").

I'm not sure what the benefit of putting it in a helicopter is either.

7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    win for the bad guys. wonder how many millions in weapons, and which ones, got blown up here

Footage shows massive explosions and fireballs after a wave of Russian drones targeted a city in western Ukraine (msn.com)

• Russia announced that they had destroyed an ammo depot and a hangar at an airbase.
    Dramatic footage circulating on social media shows a massive explosion rocking the western Ukrainian city of Khmelnytskyi following a mass attack by Russian drones.

The Khmelnytskyi Oblast Military Administration confirmed on Telegram that "critical infrastructure" had been hit in the attack on Friday night.

A wave of 21 attack drones were fired at the city, according to reports. "Unfortunately, not all drones were destroyed that night – 17 out of 21 UAVs. There are four hits in Khmelnytskyi region," said Yuriy Ihnat, spokesman for the Air Force of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, per Mail Online.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 2
  9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    looks like hey are still depleting their storage but they are still 30% higher than this time last year. Hopefully they start filling their storage at these prices instead of using it to suppress the price further. Lower prices may also hurt US LNG industry and suppress US nat gas price which would drive down energy prices for nat gas generated electricity worldwide but I would rather the EU be full so that any disruptions could be handled

How much gas have the EU countries stored? - Consilium (europa.eu)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    drone jamming devices?

11. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Nothing we can’t do with greater effect with fixed wing at high altitude. But it’s not a terrible guess.

12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    higher on the horizon? mobility?

13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    targeting hardware to track and triangulate launch locations of artillery and rockets?

14. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    This is crazy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...14/prigozhin-wagner-ukraine-leaked-documents/

Wagner chief offered to give Russian troop locations to Ukraine, leak says
    THE DISCORD LEAKS | Yevgeniy Prigozhin said he would tell Ukraine’s military where to attack Russian troops if they pulled their own forces back from the beleaguered city of Bakhmut, where Wagner mercenaries were taking heavy losses

In late January, with his mercenary forces dying by the thousands in a fight for the ruined city of Bakhmut, Wagner Group owner Yevgeniy Prigozhin made Ukraine an extraordinary offer.

Prigozhin said that if Ukraine’s commanders withdrew their soldiers from the area around Bakhmut, he would give Kyiv information on Russian troop positions, which Ukraine could use to attack them. Prigozhin conveyed the proposal to his contacts in Ukraine’s military intelligence directorate, with whom he has maintained secret communications during the course of the war, according to previously unreported U.S. intelligence documents leaked on the group-chat platform Discord.

15. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Did Ukraine dirty bomb itself ?

16. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

Isn't this considered TREASON in most circles? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Putins private army and the Russian Military getting at loggerheads with each other.

I figured Mr. "P" was full of shit when he said they were pulling out of Bakhmut and heading to Africa. Then of course promptly reinforced the line / changed his story.

He does seem to have a point about his flanks however in that the flanks are held by Russian contingents that are currently retreating under Ukrainian counter-offensives.

I was always under the impression that types like Putin do not appreciate any "criticism".

Mr. "P" may want to avoid the Kremlin for awhile.

The only information I have been able to ascertain about the Ukranian "counter-offensive" in Bakhmut is that the force level was 40 tanks and 1,000 infantry.

While not insignificant this hardly represents the (6 to 9) Brigades supposedly ready for the "big push".

Sources also suggest the equipment being used in the Bakhmut counteroffensive IS NOT the more advanced NATO equipment, rather the Soviet/Russian junk that Ukraine has been saddled with for much of the conflict.

The point being, this is NOT, the big one.

Of course there is a huge Psy-Ops disinformation campaign going on by both sides, the cat and mouse game continues.........

17. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
  18. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Russia bans all government officials from resigning, so all of them will be going down with the ship. Unless . . . you have a problem with health or corruption.

"Umm, I have a really bad cold. And my hemorrhoids are acting up again. And oh, yeah, last week I stole three pens and a ream of paper from the office. Clearly, I'm out of control. I think resigning would be the honorable thing to do at this point."

Putin’s Reportedly Had to Ban His Top Officials from Quitting as Ukraine War Falters (yahoo.com)