Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You sound like you need to take a laxative. Why don't you take care of business, then take up a high-fiber diet, and get back to us in another month or two. We'll wait.

And next time, keep those kinds of problems to yourself. TMI.

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    If the last Russian collapse was a tragedy, let's hope the one coming up will be more of a comedy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Putin probably needs to blow up the Kremlin if he wants a Pearl Harbor-type reaction.

4. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I'm not sure any false flag attempt on the Kremlin would drive much of a public response. IMO, if Putin's looking to galvanize his country and foster support for his war, an "attack" would need to be a target with which average Russians have a more passionate connection, either some type of cultural heritage site or a massive civilian casualty event.

5. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    The Finns have found a creative way to smuggle news and information into Russia. They created a very popular game called "Counter-Strike: Global Offensive" that plays video and provides information about the War in Ukraine if you play it long enough. The video game targets Russian young males.

A Counter-Strike Map Is Informing Russians About The Ukraine Invasion Amidst Censorship (yahoo.com)

Pretty clever.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

A little more personal history: I'm not a "young" person. 64 and was the last child born of my parents.

Anyway - So my dad ran a combo general store, bar, and in the back - card games at his place, located just outside Eglin. We are talking late 30's early 40's here.

Well, Eglin and the surrounding community back in those days - Not much to it.

Guess where all the fly boys, and everyone else would go to?

My dad met Jimmy Doolitle, and all his boys.
    He met the pilots that dropped the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki (One of which, committed suicide after).
    He met Gregory Peck, as a matter of fact Peck stayed with my parents when he shot a movie at Eglin. Think it was 30 seconds over Toykyo or 12 O'Clock High, I forget now.

I always accused my mom of "slippin" in that guest bedroom......
    she denied it of course........lol

OK back to the war...............
    Oh sorry Vlad - "The police action"

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    According to Russia, they've destroyed 27 of the 18 HIMARS systems that the U.S. has supplied to Ukraine. A new Ukrainian superhero, Captain HIMARS, is not having it. And he's willing to mock Russia to prove it. He says he only targets troop barracks when no one sends him coordinates for armored vehicles and ammo depots. Then he provides an e-mail address so the Russian troops can send coordinates of their ammo depots and armored vehicles. Then he goes on to state that it is useless to target his HIMARS system, because it is stored in an old Soviet bunker that can withstand a nuclear attack.

Ukraine Situation Report: HIMARS Shown Being Stashed In 'Soviet Bunker' (yahoo.com)

• Like Like x 2
  8. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That couldn’t have been a serious assassination attempt. A drone blowing up near the top of a dome in the middle of the night where Putin doesn’t sleep and with not even enough explosive power to take down the flag pole or apparently even damage the flag is pretty telling.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Also, Putin was reportedly not even home at the time.

10. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Grew up across the bay from Tyndall. Still remember the constant roar and sonic booms from the F-4s throughout the Vietnam War and after, then the F-15s. My dad took us over there for the airshow every year. He was a Marine Corp fighter pilot in Korea and was always on top of what was going on at Tyndall. He got to go up in an F-15 once.

11. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Yes, to both. Relatively recently I went to the Joint Air Operations Command & Control Course at Hurlburt, just prior to deploying to the Middle East as a Combat Aviation Brigade Oprerations Officer in 2021, and while there I had to take a day trip to Eglin for my second COVID shot. Also, I went to Naval Flight School near the same area from 2000-2001. The Fort Walton Beach and Pensacola areas are outstanding places to live and visit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Most likely it was a false flag either intended to provide a pretext for a serious retaliatory attack on Ukraine, possibly an assassination attempt of Zelensky or a strategy to increase support among the Russian population for Vlad's "special military operation". In addition to facts in your post, it seems kind of odd that the Russians were able to provide high resolution photos and video of an attack that occurred in the middle of the night (if I recall according to one account the "attack" took place at 3:00 am). Additionally, the type of drone used in the attack had nowhere near the range necessary to fly from Ukraine to Moscow. If it wasn't a false flag launched by the Russian government itself the most logical explanation would be an attack launched by Russian dissidents. The premise that Ukraine was responsible is absurd on its face.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
  13. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Thanks, and to return the favor, my recommendation for your diarrehic propoganda …

Attached Files:

14. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Why not give diplomacy a chance?

• Like Like x 1
  15. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Is this the intelligence of our enemy? An old man thinks he can publicly tear down the flag of a country his country is at war with, and nothing bad will happen? What a metaphor for this whole war.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. cron78

cron78 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2022
    Did site engineering for an aircraft maintenance facility at Hurlburt several years ago. Couldn’t call it a hangar because the color of the money wouldn’t allow use for a hangar. Was on-site trying to determine where the storm pipes ran to and stopped in front of a bonafide hangar to ask an airman if he knew where the trench drain at the hangar doors ran to. He couldn’t hear me and waved me into the hangar but there was a problem…the red line at the door. Even as a civilian I knew not to cross the red line. Apparently those Special Ops security folks have liberal authority to use force if red lines are crossed without explicit permission. Didn’t want to lose my job… or get shot. There are some really cool pieces of equipment on that base.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. cron78

cron78 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2022
    Kewl. My dad was stationed at Tyndall twice ‘61-‘64 and ‘69-‘73 and retired here when he was in line to get sent away from Florida to somewhere in BumFrick Nebraska or Iowa. TAFB was my stomping ground from ‘69 til I went to UF. Perfect place to grow up. Paradise geography combined with military diversity (diversity was much simpler back then) and a lot fewer people, cars, and boats to deal with compared to today. Total destruction of the base by Hurricane Michael put a stop to the air shows. The $3.2B to rebuild the base has risen to $5.2B. Gonna be well worth it.
    Edit: Those twin engine Phantoms and older Voodoos used to piss me off when flying over our house when I was trying to watch Tarzan cartoons as a kid on one of the three TV channels Saturday mornings. Now days the F-22s are even noisier and the F-35s take the noise up another notch, but I no longer dislike the sounds of freedom.

• Like Like x 2
  18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    oragator1 -

Followed by:

Wagner to leave Bakhmut on May 10 over lack of ammunition, Prigozhin says

Things are getting "cheeky". Oh and Ukranian and Russian officials get in a fight at a Turkish conference.

Where are you Duggars Dad? Better suit up and go to the front. Looks like your guys need you.

Of course this could all be "False Flag B.S." - certainly something Russia is expert at.

20. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Oops. Russia's invincible hypersonic missile is more hype than hyper: Ukraine just shot one down with a U.S. Patriot system. Our resident troll is not going to like that. The "Dagger" fell harmlessly in a football stadium, far short of the goal line, I might add.

‘Ukraine shoots down Russian hypersonic missile using US Patriot system’ (yahoo.com)

I understand that Ukrainian children are taking selfies with what they call "Duggar's Dagger", mocking the troll they've come to know and despise on Gator Country.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1