Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I'm hearing some of those checks are not cashing.

2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    seems like occupied territories becoming a dangerous place to be a russian collaborator

Russian Commander's Car Blown Up by Resistance Fighters in Mariupol—Mayor (msn.com)

"The Mariupol resistance struck in occupied Mariupol, blowing up the car of one of the top military officers. Details later," the Mayor Vadym Boychenko was cited by the Mariupol city council as saying. Mariupol is a Ukrainian port city that has suffered widespread damage amid fighting in the Russia-Ukraine war. It was seized in May, becoming one of the first regions to fall to Russian forces. Moscow has often blamed attacks on Kremlin-installed officials in Ukraine on Kyiv.

"An explosion rang out in the area of the Bakhchivanji market (Prymorskyi district, Budivelnykiv avenue)," the council said in a statement on Telegram.

Russia's state-run news agency Tass cited an unnamed source as saying Moskvin was alive.

"In the morning they blew up the car of police chief Moskvin. He is alive, everything is fine," the source said, adding that the car exploded a few feet from the police chief.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I am still confused about the reality on the ground in Bahkmut.

In terms of Ukranian force movement, not Russian. One fact is clear, very little movement in terms of Russian advances.

Given all the pissing and moaning by Wagner and the fact the military lines are still rather static, I'm supposing "static" is good from a Ukrainian point of view.

4. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In part it depends on how many Ukrainian soldiers and Russian war criminals are being killed each day. Ukraine can't afford to go 1 for 1.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I've been thinking, even if the Ski's roll up on Kiev and take it - So what do they have? A guerrilla war in Ukraine that could last for years?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Other people have said it. I don’t think so. It’s possible, but it doesn’t fit the model.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    And they’re getting docked double for evert Km they give up. Russians smart like tractor…..

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I think they understand that. What I wonder is if they really, no kidding, have a good idea about the casualties they are inflicting on Russian forces. I get that the enemy casualties they state out loud is their most optimistic estimate. Any country would do the same thing. What I hope, though, is that they’re making any decisions about where and when to trade space for enemy attrition is based on their most conservative, realistic estimates. I would hate to learn one day, for instance, that Ukraine remained wed to defending Bakhmut based on a false assumption that they were causing 20:1 casualties only for it to come out later that it was closer to 1:1 and still resulted in encirclement. But time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I tend to believe that the Ukrainian strategy is based on a realistic estimate of Russian casualties rather than their overly optimistic public estimates. So far the Ukrainian general staff has been correct much more often than they have been wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Probably because they are almost buried in the amount of intelligence we are likely giving them.

11. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It doesn't sound like they are. In a place like Bahkmut, the city is essentially a fortress--any attempt to advance for either side will be met with a lot of death and destruction. Russia is trying to force their troops to advance, while Ukraine is playing defense. I suspect that the kill ratio in a place like Bahkmut is between 5:1 and 10:1 (Russians to Ukrainians), in clear contrast to the blather of our resident trolls and Russia-worshippers. Putin doesn't mind giving up the troops if they gain ground, but he has already lost huge numbers of officers and experienced troops in the last year. The kill ratio for Russian troops is only going to go up if the west keeps supplying weapons and ammo to Ukraine. Clearly, Putin does not know what he's doing.

12. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Russians are angry at the Russian military for shooting down a drone over a neighborhood, because a house was damaged and someone got hurt. O.k. Any anger over starting a war for no good reason? Sending tens of thousands of Russians off to die or be maimed? Chasing hundreds of thousands out of the country to avoid the draft? Destroying the economy?

Russians angry at downing of Ukrainian drone over their homes

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Since you asked..

Go back to the thread about fentanyl deaths where you said you didn’t care if 100k a year died, then when called on it you said it was an obvious typo and something to the effect of right wingers have bad reading comprehension.
    Then you kept doubling down on it.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    He’s an idiot but many of the smart guys thought Russia would roll over Ukraine in a matter of weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Dems are gonna have a hard time blaming Pubs on being the crazy defense spenders.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012

Swing and a whiff it’s got to be humiliating. I can’t be bothered to look up that thread but yeah I don’t grieve too badly for people who die from fentanyl poisoning, except for addicts who could be receiving methadone treatment. But to the point I typed “especially old links”, and you were unable to cite a post where I mock someone’s typo (I’ll stipulate that’s it’s happened) it’s a frequent occurrence among “the poorly educated” and can be hard to resist

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Eighteen German Leopard tanks have arrived in Ukraine, along with two recovery vehicles and 40 Marder infantry fighting vehicles. Portugal also delivered three Leopards to Ukraine.

Germany delivers Leopard tanks to Ukraine

It could be the beginning of the end for Russia . . . So sad for our trolls.

18. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Ukraine claims that Russia has started using chemical weapons on their troops, including mustard gas and chloropicrin. The chemicals are dropped from UAV's.

Russia resorts to limited use of chemical munitions, Ukraine says

19. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Britain's 14 Challenger tanks are already in Ukraine.

Britain's Challenger tanks have arrived in Ukraine: Kyiv

It's a shame that these tank shipments couldn't have been kept a secret, and Ukraine couldn't surprise the Russian troops with them. The sheer terror of Russian troops would probably cause a massive and chaotic retreat around Bahkmut.

• Like Like x 1
  20. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Russia has the nerve to consider asking for reparations for the damaged Nord Stream 2 pipeline. As soon as Russia finishes paying for all the damage it caused in Ukraine, then it can think about asking for reparations.

Russia may demand compensation for Nord Stream pipeline blasts - diplomat

If blowing up a pipeline is an act of international terrorism, then blowing up a country is what? An act of intergalactic terrorism? Russia should just hope it still has clothes after Ukraine takes it to the cleaners. I say that reparations should be based on the numbers of civilians killed.