Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    As is the embedded tweet. Apparently Soho just realized there is a war going on and has some catching up to do.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    You can buzz the… off,was linked in another forum today and I didn’t check the date. Several K more posters there it’s hard to keep on top of everything. Don’t see you bringing much to this thread…

not to mention the fact that thanks to Ukraine the US knows everthinhg there is to know about it now

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    tissue?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Well, that date makes a lot more sense for finding that system outside of Kyiv. That was when Russia’s embarrassing retreat — er, elaborate deception operation to mimic strategic withdrawal — was in progress.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    No, that’s for snowflakes. I just told you where to go. Deal with it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Internet tough guy huh?

So you post a year old post, we point it out, and you tell me to go F myself? That seems snowflakey to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    Read again I did not say that. You added the snark and as far as I can see you’ve not added much to this thread.

Man, dealing with people with less than a 12th grade reading level is so annoying. when you have something interesting to say I’ll re-engage. I suspect it will be a while.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Putin decides to move some tactical nukes to Belarus. Apparently he is desperate enough from losing this war that he feels the need to create a nuclear threat against Ukraine. Either he is bluffing, or he has some grand scheme to blame Belarus for nuking Ukraine. Either way, it seems like another ill-conceived scheme from Dr. Evil.

Putin says Moscow to station nuclear weapons in Belarus, first time since 1990s

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah not concerned. Talk talk talk he knows what’s in store for him if he did and he shows no signs of suicidal ideation nor courage.

10. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Russia's elite marine brigade has been reconstituted EIGHT times since the start of the war. That has to be some kind of record. What's that, once every 6-7 weeks? Fortunately, that is still enough time to train the next group of conscripts on how to dig a ditch and carry a shovel into battle. At some point, they will be known as the most elite ditch-digging brigade in the world. Ukraine is probably a little nervous going up against such a capable group. I imagine the Ukrainian soldiers are probably loading their rifles before they go into battle, instead of depending on luck.

Russia’s ‘elite’ marine brigade reconstituted eight times since start of war, says ISW

11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Maybe slightly off-topic, but I suspect that in the end Alexander Lukashenko will come to regret his close relationship with Putin. It's only a matter of time before Putin will try to reincorporate Belarus back into Russia relegating it to the same status that it had when it was part of the Russian Empire and the Soviet Union the difference with Ukraine being that when Vlad decides to do so tens of thousands of Russian troops will already be based in Belarus making an invasion unnecessary.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I think armored personnel carriers are just as if not more important to a counter offensive.

The ability to quickly and safely move troops to where they need to be will be key, IMamateurO.

Tanks are great, but take a loooot to maintain in terms of people and equipment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I can picture his head on a pole one day.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I think that the U.S. armored personnel carriers will be ready for action before the tanks are. I suspect that the maintenance is simpler, and the training required to operate the APC's is less as well. I am taking it as a given that the APC's will be ready and available when the tanks become ready. I thinks that the tanks and APC's need to work together.

• Like Like x 1
  15. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    To a weak "leader" with few ideas on how to run a country or support an economy, it make be attractive to transition from president/premier to governor. He will get a lot more financial assistance from Russia when it happens, and he won't have to worry about what to think or say because Putin will tell him what to think and say. I'm sure he hopes that his loyalty to Putin will pay off in the long run. Right now, he's probably as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs being in between Putin and the West.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    This post and those who agreed with it reveal how green you are all on the subject matter at hand. Putin is very happy with the status quo in Belarus. Why would he expend Russian resources on a country that already happily and eagerly operates as a Russian satellite state?

17. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Putin already tells Lukashenko what to think and say. Why would Putin want to shoulder the burden of Belarusian pensions and its weak economic prospects when he can already do whatever he wants in Belarus for free?

18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Probably because as long as that country is not officially under the thumb of the Putin, with some pretense of independence, the Belarusians could potentially do what Ukraine did in 2013… that is tell the Russian puppet President to GTFO. Obviously harder to accomplish now that both these countries have gone full U.S.S.R, but if Belarus is asked to send its soldiers to die in Ukraine on behalf of Russia that could shake things up and cause unrest, or could cause Belarus military to stage a coup.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    More importantly for the moment, Belarus has approximately 400,000 personnel under arms with partial mobilization, call it 600,000 if it calls up its inactive reserves. You think Putin has anything for them to do if Belarus, like, suddenly decided it wished for full union with Russia again?

20. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    As I’ve said before, we can dream, right? I mean, we could run the table and go 16-0 next season. Anything is possible. But Lukashenko has held that country under an iron grip for 22 years. We can’t rely on an Arab Spring to remedy the situation, can we? And Putin doesn’t want or need Belarussia’s ill-trained and ill-equipped military’s help.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1