Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    Slovakia now sending 14 F16s’s to Ukraine…

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    The main point of posting the article was to point out that things aren’t so hunky-dory for the Ukrainians as some of the sunshine pumpers here would have us believe. What’s striking in his comments is that he attests to most of Ukraine’s best fighters having been killed or taken out by the Russians. Not good, if true.

3. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Hall of Fame

Dec 31, 2016
    And that has been the mantra from the military brass. If in fact there were a collision I fail to understand how the tail fins on predator drone survived. I'm more inclined to believe the dumping of fuel weight and mass did the damage. Hitting a wall of water or fuel at such speeds would do damage in my opinion. Not sure what the propeller is made of on the predator much less the air frame. What I do know is the skin must be heat resistant and weight is a consideration. Think of the space space shuttle and the fact that the aircraft is capable of flight.

That said this raises a new level of tactics against a drone. We know planes carry flares to avoid heat seeking missiles imagine carrying a load of paint or some other substance that would render cameras ineffective. It is also surprising that the video rendered is not that of high quality video. The cameras on these drones are render highly detailed images.

4. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    Of course I listened to it and I make it a habit to listen what was said in the videos posted on this thread before I reply to a post.

5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 2
  6. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Different issue, and an internal issue. If you’re going to speak public ally about the state of your military while your country is actively at war, expect the consequences.

7. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I listened to a military aviation expert who watched the videos, and he concluded that the Russian collision with the drone was an unintended Russian pilot error. He explained that the geometry of the collision showed poor training and execution.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Oh, so the US is at war with Russia. Earlier, I was mocked for suggesting this was another US proxy war.

9. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I’m sorry, but this makes no sense as a retort. My comment was about a Ukrainian military official getting rebuked for publicly critiquing the Ukrainian military for the state of its military.

How can anyone’s takeaway from my comment be that the US is at war with Russia?!?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    So we’re not at war with Russia even if we’re helping Ukrainians to kill a Russians ?

11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I "think" I understand your point. Having said that things are far from Hunkey Dory in Ukraine.

The Russians are blasting countless towns to rubble, deporting Ukranians to concentration camps, destroying critical infrastructure, and are stupid enough to cause a serious release of radiation at nuclear power facilities.

All courtesy of your friends at the Kremlin.
    Hell of an improvement from pre Feb 2022 now isn't it.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    I listened to that as well but the video doesn't show a collision. Perhaps someone can create a video to scale of both aircraft that how the Russian plane hit the propeller without damaging the tails fins of the predator.

As you watch the video the Russian air craft flies away without any damage at all. The only way I see possible for that to happen is to hit the propeller with the nose of the plane or possibly the tail fin of the plane. Neither is a move in which I can imagine that serious damage isn't done to both aircraft. Given the speeds involved that would have to be one hell of a pilot.

13. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I hear they’re throwing Ukrainian babies in the air and catching them on pitchforks.

14. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    Turkey clears the way for Finland to join NATO and Sweden is next. Both very effective fighting forces, modern and have routinely held joint exercises. Also in strategic positions.

We are stomping all over Putin’s red line andd as a paper tiger all he can do is squeak like a kitten. Got to be humiliating.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    I think it likely that there will be payback such that Russia knows it was us/US and at a scale they understand what for.

16. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    What video are you watching?

17. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    You seem to have major cognition and imagination issues. Or maybe you’re right and the highly engineered carbon/titanium blade just fell apart in the jet wash. Sure that’s the ticket!

LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    I can see this in my head..

This object flying at this angle:

[​IMG]

Could hit this prop in between these flared out tail fins.

[​IMG]

The reason I asked about what video you were watching is because I have yet to see "As you watch the video the Russian air craft flies away without any damage at all." Everyone I have seen ends shortly after showing damage to the prop. But maybe you have seen something that I haven't.

Video:

Where is the Russian just flying away without any damage at all?

19. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    The one that's posted all over the internet and in the news media. If you have something that convinces me that the plane clipped the predators propeller feel free to post it here.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  20. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    Yup just a carbon/titanium blade failure due to of puff of jet wash. Nothing to see here! Man you go out of your way to make yourself look like a ….””””…….

You should switch your avatar to a Cessna or a hang glider.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1