Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    If the US announced that it was sending hundreds of thousands of troops to Ukraine, how would that register with Americans ?

2. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Indeed, had to beat that dog down hard in 39-45.

I am an admirer of German Culture. But it really pisses me off about the myth of 'We didn't know persists".

WW2 is one of my most studied subjects.

During the last two years of the war the only way people survived, and had consumer goods, and food, was because of the extensive network of concentration or "work" camps. People think of Auschwitz or Dachau but the fact was HUNDREDS of camps, many minor, existed all over the Reich and in GERMANY (not just Poland), AND Ike made those Sieg Hieling sorry bastards walk through them during the collapse.

"I didn't know............MY ASS".

Another thing - When the Brits captured nazi officers they put every one of them, up in Fancy accomodations with servants, they lived luxuriously, and recorded every word they said starting in 1940, ........they increminated themselves. There is miles of recorded tape, countless officers of every rank, knew EXACTLY, what was going on, and the Wermacht PARTICIPATED in the early execution pogroms before the Final Solution and then of course during the Final Solution itself, especially logistics.

I have little tolerance for War Crime and Holocaust deniers.

Eastern Europeans................such a lovely bunch.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  4. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    The us isn’t fighting anyone despite your obsession. Start your own thread about us military.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    As long as we keep getting these ridiculous posts caricaturing Russian troops as ragamuffins ... I will be hear to furnish perspective. Don’t like it ? There is an ignore button.

6. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Ragamuffins? That's harsh, I'm sure he meant cannon fodder or bipedal bullet attractor.

• Like Like x 1
  7. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Easy for Americans to trash talk when their fighting Russia with another country’s soldiers.

8. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    O.k., Cybil. I think I can diagnose your medical problem. You have multiple personality disorder, right? One of your personalities thinks that Russian polls are the most important thing in the world, and one of your other personalities thinks they are irrelevant. Whom are we speaking to right now?

I would like to point out that the correct comparison would be the U.S. invading Canada and killing thousands of people because fictitious Nazis have taken over and are abusing Americans living in Canada. You can identify the Nazis because they frequently say "Eh?" at the end of their sentences. If that seems like an insane premise for an invasion, that's because it is.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    Why do you care or not if people talk some trash about Russian soldiers? They have certainly underachieved expectations. As bad as the us feels about their own readiness right now especially in the pacific theatre I bet they feel a hell of a lot better in the European theatre having seen Russia fight Ukraine.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, the modern U.S. standard for the results of its fighting were set in the first Iraq invasion, where about 150 Americans died (most of which were from a single strike of a SCUD missile on troop barracks on a base), with about 30,000 Iraq troops dead (200:1). With standards that lofty, most Americans (especially troops, who have the most to lose) would say they would like the U.S. to be better prepared. U.S. troops are also much better trained than Russian troops, and have a better understanding of combat than the Russians do (without having to learn the hard way)--they view their own troop readiness as realists would, and not as optimists with vodka-fueled bravado. I promise you that the standards in Russia and China are a lot lower than ours. Sometimes, if you would just think a little before you post, and review something called "context", you might understand things a little better.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Europe doesn't want Russian refugees. There is some concern that Russians could be Trojan horses who try to undermine western efforts to defeat Russia.

Top Diplomat Warns Russian ‘Army of Trojan Horsemen’ Hides Among Us

I say put them up in the Ukrainian refugee camps and have them provide various services for the Ukrainians as supervised volunteers (custodians, food service, repair work, latrine digging, etc.). If they do not behave respectfully and provide useful services, send them back to Russia. Dress them in striped uniforms so they can easily be watched. If they have enough money, they could stay in a hotel and avoid working in the camps. I think many of those working in the camps would quickly come to realize how wrong the war in Ukraine is, and would be excellent Russian advocates for the Ukrainians.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Others are correct: we need one thread for news about the war in Ukraine and another thread for smack talking. At the suggestion of others I put it on ignore a while back.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    You seem to be likening the Russian public to Cybil. Is there really a contradiction between broad support and anxiety ? How do you think Americans polled on WWII ?

Where is the basis, other than hubris, for asserting that US troops are better trained than their Russian counterparts ? And however well US troops may be trained, they do seem to be lacking confidence to match.

I just think that you’re like too many Americans. Like I used to be. It’s uncomfortable to throw off the warm blanket of American primacy and an indomitable military and the comfort it provides.

And it’s horrifying to contemplate the possibility that that your betters may be the bad guys or at least the gang who can’t shoot straight.

14. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    You’re not the heartiest sort I’ve ever encountered.

15. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    But you do see the sense in giving the madman whatever he wants. And somehow that makes sense to you. It will all end up just fine if we give the madman whatever he wants. We'll live in a better world, and the madman will stop demanding things once we give him what he wants. Is that your logic? Hitler was considered a madman--how would things have turned out if the U.S. and the rest of Europe just gave him what he wanted?

You have admitted that Putin is a madman. (I have to admit, I thought it would take longer for you to see the light on this. That is real progress for someone with as many issues as you seem to have.) So, tell me, how would you stop the madman? Turn a blind eye to whatever he's doing, because he is just looking for attention?

16. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    It may be too late to give the ‘madman’ what he wants. So he may just take what he wants. It’s not
    like we didn’t have years to hear and perhaps bend a bit to his concerns. But of course he’s not allowed to have concerns. He can’t have his reasons. Because Russian.

17. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I know it won’t happen but I think Poland and Lithuania should liberate that inclave. Lol. I think the Russian reaction would be funny.

18. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    Poland and Lithuania should enter with troops and hold referendums and then hold a parade and victory celebration outside of their capitals once the 99% response comes back in saying that the enclave wants to leave Russia.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Image from Daily Mail showing new Russian conscripts. Are these the heartiest sorts you speak of?
    [​IMG]

20. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    One's got his rifle pointed at the other one's head! He's about to get his first official kill. That's great training from the most professional military in the world.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1