Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    But is this violence natural or learned? If natural, is it in all of us?

2. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    yes

3. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Compelling

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    this is the ultimate result of an authoritarian gov. People racing to leave the country.

“Thousands of desperate Russians are scrambling to flee the country to dodge Putin's mobilisation, as miles-long queues form to escape into border countries.

Many flights were sold out yesterday amid the panic, while others appeared to resort to drastic tactics to avoid the conscription, with Googlesearches for 'how to break an arm at home' - skyrocketing hours after Putin's speech.

A wife from Tyumen in Siberia said: 'I will not let my husband go. I'll break his both legs. His duty is to raise his children.”

Desperate Russian wives threaten to break their husbands' BONES so they are unfit to join war | Daily Mail Online

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Well, who taught Cain to kill ?

6. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022

Russians who don’t like Putin are purging themselves. Putin can’t stop winning.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    In Vietnam regular infantry threatened their platoon leaders when they were given orders they didn’t agree with. Friendly fire can come from all directions.

8. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I’m not sure she’s thought this through. How much help raising children can you get from a man with two broken legs? Sounds like you’ve just created a lot more work for yourself and cut off your primary source of income. Better to enhance ongoing efforts to drive him nuts so that he’s not mentally fit to serve.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    But the Duma just passed a law against that sort of thing, so problem solved.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Still not compelling

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I might also add that Russia already has problem with desertions. I suspect that with Putin's new mobilization the number of Russian soldiers who decide to "purge themselves" from the military could increase exponentially.
    From two weeks ago.
    Russian force sees "mass desertion" amid Putin's recruitment push: Report

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    “according to Ukrainian military intelligence”

13. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    What do you want ? Science ? Okay, wear a mask.

14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    my apologies for using the snyde term, bad day yesterday and out of character as I agree petty names do nothing to further discussion. Your repeated slant is that Russia is not sufffering and the EU and west don't have the willpower or the resources to take on Putin. i strongly disagree on both levels and don't understand your repeated use of russian based sites that are controlled by Moscow as sources of information or your refusal to acknowledge that Europe is well on the way to doign just fine without Russian gas and oil and will be able to do so indefinitely as new pipelines and resources are added to the energy matrix. Russia is suffering not only economically but also thru brain drain and sheer number of people leaving the country to get away from Putin. Russia will lose bigly for decades to come in this failed attempt to solidify Putin's vision of a bigger Russia as they lose their place as a energy superpower and the extra funds that generates for the economy. They just aren't big enough or diverse enough to sustain a $200M per day decrease in exports. While some in the west may be complaining about the price of gas, those in Russia are lined up at the border trying to get the hell out. And you still somehow believe that the west suffering is worse...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    my mistake, shouldn't have done it.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Hall of Fame

Dec 31, 2016
    Apology accepted.
    Seems to me the repeated slant is Ukraine vs Russia is a foregone conclusion with Ukraine being the victor in all of this yet there is no end date in sight. The fact is the suffrage will be felt by all and the determination of the outcome will be decided by a coalition of proxy war forces. This is where we deviate from reality and consequences of war. After all how could a coalition of forces with the backing of the US lose? History has proven time and again such myopic views are rainbows and unicorns.

News comes from all sources and that includes Russian sources as well. I have cited news sources from many nations not just the Russian point of view. You might want to go back into this thread and read the many articles I have provided from US, Asian, and European sources. Too often the blinders are put on and tunnel vision ensues.

That said we are in uncharted waters and things are not looking good at all.

17. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    How would we/nato respond if Russia uses tactical nukes?

“For Putin, nuclear escalation wouldn’t be a way of snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, but of snatching survival — political or even physical — from the maw of oblivion. Unlike democratic leaders, he has no way to retire gracefully after all the damage he’s done. As a quack historian of the Tsars, he knows that his end could be messy.

This is why he might dust off a Russian doctrine that Western analysts call “escalate to de-escalate.” It means going nuclear to avoid losing a conventional (non-nuclear) war.”

One answer to a limited Russian nuclear strike is to double, triple or quadruple all the measures the West has already taken against Putin’s regime, completely cutting off Russia from the Western world. Instead of caving, the West would also send more weapons to Ukraine, and more forces, including nuclear arms, to NATO’s eastern front.”

“the so-called Tiger Team — to study potential responses in the event Russia deployed chemical, biological or nuclear weapons against Ukraine, neighboring nations or NATO convoys of weapons and aid headed for Ukraine.”

A Decision Tree for Biden If Putin Goes Nuclear

Biden Warns Putin on Use of WMDs: ‘Don’t, Don’t, Don’t’

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    And you don’t even need to go to Russian sources. There are ample a Western sources that attest that not all is rainbows and unicorns.

19. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    “completely cutting off Russia from the Western world”

That’s like telling me I can’t have pumpkin spice lattes.

20. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Has Ukraine invaded Russia and deliberately bombed civilians? No. It’s a hypothetical.

• Winner Winner x 1