Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Who has been saying that Russia “will bend any day now”? I follow this war as close as anyone, and I have not heard anyone in authority predict that the war was almost over. To the contrary, all agree this conflict has the potential to go on for years. Most agree that the war is trending positively for Ukraine at the moment, but even at the rate they’re going, we are looking a very long time and much sacrifice to restore their borders. Even then, there is no suggestion that Russia would just stop fighting. So if you’re point is, “You all said that sanctions would win the war by now, why hasn’t it happened?” then mine is, “No one said that. What people said is, sanctions are an essential element of a whole-of-government strategy to make Russia feel pain for its decisions.”

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Well, let’s start with just this thread. Anyone other than you think things are going Russia’s way? Nope. Even you have had to not-so-deftly redefine what “going well” is for Russia in accordance with the current narrative. Personally, I would be more than a little embarrassed if it was my job to go out and say “We meant to do that” every time Ukraine gave my vastly overrated army a shot right to the face, but every losing despot needs its own Baghdad Bob, I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
  3. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    The general sentiment on this thread is probably the reason Biden continues to send billions of dollars of weapons to Ukraine. At which point this thread turns dark, his handlers will persuade him to abandon the project.

4. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Or, perhaps if Putin doesn’t invade, the defense industry doesn’t profit? Fascinating how that small detail was omitted.

• Like Like x 1
  5. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Raytheon execs were tired of sitting around like the Maytag repairman ?

6. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    It’s even stupider because the US did not invade any country or territory there - Russia invaded Ukraine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    History started 2/24/22

8. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    No, I want to be entertained. Tell us how wrong we all are that the war is trending Ukraine’s way. Tell us how Russia is actually not retreating but fighting in a different direction. Tell us how it’s all part of grand deception operation, and Kyiv will fall any day now, followed by Odessa, followed by glorious linkup with oppressed Russians in Transnistria. Any day now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    The whole notion of Russia retreating is based on the Kharkiv counter-offensive where a Ukrainian reserve force, culled, trained and equipped, over a six month period, rushed into an area previously vacated by Russia ... and suffered horrific losses.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    First of all who is “they”. But yes I anticipate crimes are committed on both sides during war. ie unarmed enemy soldiers shot. However, I follow this war constantly and read from many different sources and I haven’t seen Russia digging up mass graves of civilians with many of them tortured. Or Ukrainian forces purposely targeting Russian civilian housing or Ukrainian army hiding small mines that will purposely maim or kill civilians and children. (Fox is even reporting Russia’s atrocities below).
    so what are we not seeing - what is this statement referring to?

Russian forces targeting civilian infrastructure as Ukraine continues counteroffensive, UK says | Fox News

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    A great visual on the war. Basically hasn’t changed since April overall until the recent push by Ukraine.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    What do you mean by “FOX is even” ? FOX is, for the most part, totally sniffing Biden’s hair on Ukraine as are all major news sources, both political parties and pretty much all 100 Senators. In the West, you pretty much have to look for sources that aren’t infused with prior hatred of Putin.

13. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Hall of Fame

Dec 31, 2016
    That was President Biden's, this administrations and NATO analysis that sanctions would bring Russia to their knees. That's where I disagree. It's going to bring the global economy to its' knees.

As for the administration declaring the war would be over in short order that's a reference to the current state of mind some may have on this board. I am with you on the point that this war is going to continue for some time yet as Russia is not without resources. The question at hand is when or if Europeans will say enough is enough. The populace is certainly growing antsy and angry with their leaders.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  14. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Hall of Fame

Dec 31, 2016
    Pray tell what do you with dead remaining on the battlefield when you advance? They certainly are not left there to rot. To the point of targeting civilian infrastructure that is no different than any other war. Means of communication, means of transport, government buildings, power stations, etc.... all become potential targets. Lining up armed forces and going at it changed in WW I.

15. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    The notion that the war would be over in short order did not come from Russia. I do not believe Putin is evil IN A WAY WESTERN LEADERS ARE NOT. But I can imagine that Putin is cynical enough - and certainly clever enough - to have conceived a slow-boil hybrid war which would serve to boil through Western weapons reserves and, perhaps more importantly, degrade their economies. Notice that the current political froth is happening in countries other than his own.

16. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Thank you. That will work. Better than coffee.

17. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Actually, another chemical stimulate comes to mind ...

18. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    The real chance for Ukrainian atrocities is if they invade Russia. Heroes liberating you don’t torture and kill civilians and plenty of women will thank them for their efforts. I am sure there are sickos in the Ukrainian army but they commit isolated events not mass graves and raped villages.

19. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Putin is so stupid that he threw the 2016 US election and has the Germans building warming stations and Estonians peeing in the shower to warm themselves.

20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Putin is practicing nuclear terrorism without using nuclear weapons. Target the energy grid in the vicinity of nuclear power plants to force rapid changes in operations at said plants and hope something goes wrong in the process. Safety measures have prevented an accident, so far, but how many operational hurdles can be thrown at them before there is a mistake or a failure in a back-up system? This is like russian roulette, but with nuclear power plants on your enemies territory.

added benefit for russia of knocking these nuclear plants offline, Ukraine uses nuclear power palnts to export electricity that doesn't need to be generated with russian gas.

Should Ukraine be able to use HIMARS to strike comparable russian power generation facilities in Russia

Why aren't these nuclear facilities protected by anti-missile systems?

Russia retaliates with deadly force after major losses to Ukrainian counteroffensive (msn.com)

In the south, Ukrainian authorities accused Russia of "nuclear terrorism" after a missile struck early Monday close to a nuclear power plant.

The attack near the South Ukraine nuclear plant in Yuzhnoukrainsk knocked out critical infrastructure in the area, but did not cause any damage to the facility's three nuclear reactors, authorities said.

The plant, located in Ukraine's Mykolaiv region, is the second Ukrainian nuclear facility to come under fire in recent weeks. The Zaporizhzhia plant was close to shelling for weeks before United Nations inspectors arrived at the facility to assess its safety.

The Zaporizhzhia plant is the largest nuclear power facility in Europe, and the South Ukraine plant is the second-largest in the country.

• Informative Informative x 1