Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 4
  2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    The denial is almost pathological, isn’t it? I think he shares the venerable marshal’s will to disbelieve facts on the ground. Of course, unlike Putin, drugger has access to neutral sources and doesn’t have a panoply of yes-men telling him what he wants to hear.

I’m just curious, though, when said yes-men finally make their move (out of self-preservation, of course, not any sense of morality), do we think that it will be in the form of some kind of face-saving “President Putin died after long, brave battle against terrible disease” or will they straight up put his fat, bald head on a spike, Ivan-the-Terrible style? Maybe I should start another poll.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I see repeating headlines and then the stupendous claim about Russian casualties ...

So you remember the Kherson counter-offensive of a week ago ? Haven’t heard much about it since, have you wonder why ?

In the dash to Izyum, Ukrainian forces pushed past a light brigade of Ukrainian separatists and drove thirty miles east, uncontested and are pouring themselves into a giant cauldron. And you know what happens when you’re in a cauldron, right ?

Now, it is a matter of debate as to whether Russia was caught napping. And my concern (and you should be concerned as well) about Ukrainian villagers, who had formerly greeted their pro-Russian brethren as liberators May now suffer reprisals at the hands of Ukrainian troops.

As to the stupendous claim of 80,000 Russian dead, barely that many were actually inserted into Ukraine.

It is a matter of debate, among Russians, as to whether Putin should have ceded control of the campaign to Ukrainian separatist militias and politicians. Lots of Russians are impatient and want to bring the hammer.

But I’ve just explained why, based on the contours of the campaign, it should be surprising if Russia has suffered one-tenth that many casualties.

The Ukrainians, on the other hand ...

As to who’s winning, it doesn’t seem like you’re losing when you’ve wrestled control of better than 20% of a country (and perhaps 50% of its GDP) destroyed basically all of its original weapons stocks, are busily burning through the weapons you and I are currently paying for and the other guy is having to draft old men and women and expend them as cannon fodder.

4. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    What are you babbling about now ? Don’t you know that Putin died of seven types of cancer and a simultaneous heart attack and stroke on hearing that half his troops were frost bitten ?

5. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    They pushed them to the border!

Go from the 6min mark---Talks about Russian aid to Ukraine!

6. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Well, I hope not. I’m going to be very disappointed if Putin gets a clean or natural death at the end of this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    First, we are Americans on this board. Nothing has been taken from us in this long term war of aggression Russia has been waging against Ukraine since 2014.

That said, stay away from windows. Your use of the word, "we," and the phrase, "we have taken back from you," out you. And also confess to "your" war of aggression.

I don't think your handlers will like that sentence very much.

Thanks for playing!

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    His next move will only be to say he was responding to my use of pronouns, identifying him as a Russian agent.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC

• Like Like x 1
  10. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would find it easier to believe that the west would run out of ammo before Russia did if Russia was not going with hat in hand to North Korea to beg for artillery shells. Just like I would find it easier to believe that Ukraine would run out of soldiers before Russia if Russia was not dragging former soldiers, age 55-60, into Ukraine to fight.

The author made a large mistake in his initial presentation, acting like armies running out of materials to fight with was a new problem. In WWII, it essentially defeated Germany. The German factories were bombed, their oil supplies were cut off, etc. Japan was also cut off from its oil supplies, which helped to doom Japan's war efforts.

I would also speculate that a desperate army that is in over its head might be more likely to waste ammunition, firing excessive numbers of rounds just out of fear of an opponent. Russia has seemed like it is getting desperate, with the war not going as they expected. For Ukraine's armies, it has gone better than expected.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Moscow officials are trying to find a way to gently tell Putin that it's time to retire (without getting themselves thrown out of hise-rise buildings).

Moscow Officials Urge Putin to GTFO: ‘Everything Went Wrong’

Surprisingly, the article also mentioned that Ukraine has regained 400 square miles of territory in the last few days. I didn't realize it was that much. It also referenced a "mass surrender" of Russian troops.

• Like Like x 4
  12. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, in Russia's haste to get out of certain areas of Ukraine, they left behind some large stockpiles of ammunition. Or does that not factor into the equation?

Russian nationalists rage after stunning setback in Ukraine

That is a very serious comparison to make. There may be another revolution if Putin is not careful.

• Like Like x 4
  13. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    CNN is "stunned" by the successes of Ukraine and the failures of Russia.

On the eastern front, a stunning week of Ukrainian success and Russian failures - CNN

This could be the beginning of the end for Russia. And for Putin's political career.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    it sounds like a lot, but that’s only 20 miles by 20 miles. It’s still good progress though.

what’s interesting to me is that winter isn’t far off there now. I have no idea what it means for this war, but if they make some decent gains they may be able to talk Putin into a deal of “no NATO expansion, borders restored”. He can claim a semi victory, and everyone can start to get on with their lives.

• Like Like x 1
  15. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    As long as “borders restored” includes Crimea and Donbas. Putin does not get a strategic victory here, or we are doing this again in five years.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    does that include Crimea? war reparations for all the destruction in Ukraine? what about war crimes?

• Like Like x 2
  17. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Except for the first condition (which I would consider inextricable to any peace), the others are not realistic. Those are terms you impose on an enemy that has been completely defeated. Not going to happen. Russia would use nukes prevent an existential threat. So would we.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    i think it will be us and Europe rebuilding Ukraine. The evil shelling of infrastructure as they retreat is appalling. This will hurt Russia for generations.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    I dont know about this, I've always been surprised how China does so much trade with Japan after suffering terrible atrocities from the Japenese during their occupation of Chinese territory.