Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Cnn live

"Ukrainian national security official: Russians launched an effort to breakthrough front lines Monday

From CNN's Julia Presniakova in Lviv

Oleksiy Danilov, secretary of Ukraine's National Security and Defense Council, said Monday that Russian forces had launched an effort to break through Ukrainian front lines in three regions.

"Today, almost along the entire front line of Luhansk, Donetsk, Kharkiv regions, the occupiers tried to break through our defenses," he said in remarks on television.

"Fortunately, our military is holding on, and only in two cities they [the Russians] have passed: Kreminna and another small town. But the fighting continues, we are not surrendering our territories and the attempt to start an active phase has begun this morning," he said."

2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I think a cyber takeover of their media is in order. No bullets. No bombs. Take over their media and rewrite the narrative.

Hand the cameras and mics to the Ukraine.

3. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Anonymous & others have hacked into main media several times with videos, photos, etc. Problem is it seems the average Russian is fine with what's going on, & everyone else is getting arrested or drowned out.

But yeah knocking their media out for longer spurts & putting feeds from other networks (BBC, CNN, Al Jazeera, etc) showing what's going on would be good. Don't know if it'll make a difference with a good chunk of people though.

4. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY

5. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    Well, Russian prowess has been greatly overestimated and how much of their nuclear weapons work is a really good question. But should we allow a brutal dictator rape a nation just because it is inconvenient for us to stop him. The deterrence was supposed to be a two way thing. It was supposed to keep both sides honest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    I know the page name may be inflammatory so please ignore but the tweet itself is awesome!

7. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY

8. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    agree their prowess was greatly exaggerated. it’s truly tragic, but the evidence of the last 50+ days shows the Russians are not a real threat to anyone 50 miles away and definitely not a threat to the US……I am NOT on board with sending Americans to their gruesome, violent and certain death for Ukraine.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  9. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    Well how many effective ICBM's is a good deterrent? I think we stop Putin now or we stop him later. I think now is the time. We may never have such an inspired ally again soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    When you say stop Putin, does that mean you want 500,000’troops mobilized and invade Russia to get to Moscow ? Just my opinion, but the regime change business has been very costly for the US in both money and loss of life. When I hear people say “We gotta stop this dictator “ I hear. “I want to send other people kids, someone else’s husband or father to get blown in half, shredded, limbs blown off and for the lucky ones that make it back will be left with a lifetime of psychological torment. “. War is an awful thing. You’d think after the last 25 years of constant war we would have learned that but it appears we haven’t. Let putin send his people to get slaughtered. Let them bleed out money and lives and if it lasts long enough and costly enough then maybe someone inside will handle it, but I believe it to be a naive thought to think we can “ get rid of Putin by sending us troops to combat in Ukraine

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    That video was getting real, near the end it seemed a close flying missile went by. If your unlucky enough to be near the blast it is devastating.

13. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    You done turned Yellow ATL, Semper Fi do or die! Boo Yah. Send in the he 101st and the Marine Corp. Drop some HEAVY METAL on that ski............YKW

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Seen on another thread...man needs a wheelbarrow for his jewels

• Like Like x 1
  15. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY

• Like Like x 1
  16. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    No need for the hyperbole. Ukraine is doing the lion’s share of the fighting. We could defeat Russia in the air and at sea, support Ukraine’s scheme of maneuver, and restore the January 2014 international borders without putting in a single conventional ground troop, without having any effects of fires outside of Ukraine, and only using personnel who enthusiastically volunteered for the mission. In fact, if we put out a call for volunteers to fill a composite fighter wing our biggest problem would be telling 3/4ths of our fighter pilots that they couldn’t go.

So if you are genuinely worried about intervention escalating into thermonuclear war, then that’s understandable even if I happen not to agree. But please don’t act like your position is nested within saving the helpless members of our armed forces from certain death on the march to Moscow. I’ve been in the military for 23 years and haven’t had another profession since I bagged groceries at Food Lion. I’m telling you that supporting Ukraine is the most just cause I’ve seen in my career.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Putin's war machine is stuck the mud of Ukraine, hundreds of miles from the hard wall of NATO.

Putin is a delusional crackpot...but not quite a full blown schizomaniac. He's waging a war to keep that (NATO) wall hundreds of miles away; he won't assault it (barring one or a combo of provocation and/or desperation).

IMHO, WW III starts and ends with mushroom clouds.

We're not there, and id like to keep it that way indefinitely.

18. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Wasn't suggesting we capitulate to Putins demands out of fear. I wrote (waaaaay upthread) that it was folly to dignify Putin's nuclear threats (bluffs).

I was questioning where this 'focus' on nukes was coming from (your post echoed by the other poster i quoted).

I haven't really heard it mentioned much, beyond Putin's passive aggressive banterings.

19. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It wouldn’t be surprising at all if that played a role as far as giving them everything they wanted up front. Even Zelensky spoke as if he thought he was a dead man in the first few days of the war.

Obviously Russia’s military isn’t what anyone thought, including the Russians. Unfortunately they are still dangerous as they are going scorched earth in the eastern part of the country rather than admitting failure.

20. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Fair points.

( btw, see my post above clarifying where I was coming from on that post you replied to).