Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I don’t recall specific books, but I would start with the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). It began with a series of devastating defeats against the Russians, but they started to get their shit together (on land) and began to pressure the Japanese competently before they suffered an even more devastating blow at sea (Tsushima). Japan, though, wisely sensed the tide was turning and sued for peace while it still held the advantage.

Next, I would look at the Russian experience in WWI. Most people just remember how incompetent the Russian Army was, and it did suffer from terrible defeats in 1914 and 1915. But the Brusilov (sp?) reforms of 1916 generated a terrific shift in momentum that caused Germany to have to do a strategic shift back to the East to save Austria-Hungary. Unfortunately, the corrosive effect of growing revolution undermined what the Russian Army might have become at that point.

Then I would look at the Winter War against Finland (1939-1940). The Red Army performed so poorly that it was a key decision point for Hitler to invade the following year. He reportedly said something to the effect of, “The whole Soviet structure is so rotten one good kick will bring it down.” Well, we know how that ended.

Last example that comes to mind is the difference for how Russia performed from the First Chechen War (1994-1996) to the Second (1999-2000). They clearly learned a lot from their own mistakes and adjusted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Russia makes the world a more dangerous place. They have been doing so since WWII. Russia sells weapons to anyone and everyone, and they have always looked to de-stabilize western countries. They have no interest in living with the rest of the countries as equals. They have always looked to dominate the rest of the world. It must be something in the communist DNA, because China is not that different from Russia, once they had the wealth to be a player on the world stage. The payback from cleaning up African nations is not that great, because they are not threatening the western world. There are two paybacks from making sure that Russia is defeated in this war: containing Russian aggression and preventing the next former satellite country from falling victim to a Russian invasion, and persuading China not to invade Taiwan.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Agree with your points, though I think that dna thing pre dates communism. A really old imperialist streak, think Roman or byzantine empire with nukes.

5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Russia’s tactics have never been that good. They just have more bodies to throw at the enemy than anyone else. They had to lose 20 million in WW2 to win the East. And even then, it was a big assist from the god awful winter weather that got them there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    What is really interesting to me is the fact that the Germans were treated as heroes (liberators) when they first invaded the outer parts of the USSR. People gave Christmas presents to the Nazi troops, and at least a million Russians signed up to join the German army (!). That's how much some Soviets hated Stalin's regime. Hitler screwed it up by deciding that all Russians were subhuman and should be eliminated. After things got nasty, the Soviets decided that Stalin wasn't so bad in comparison.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    They also got a big assist from the U.S. We gave them not only weaponry, but also things like synthetic motor oil, so the Russian tanks and trucks could run at much lower temperatures than the German equipment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah - once they figured out it was a race war, they joined their race. Not sure they ever found anything redeeming in Uncle Joe, but they knew they couldn't exist with the Germans.

The eastern front and the Pacific theatre were both race wars. The truly ugly side of humanity on full display.

9. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY

Someone discussed that Chernobyl isn't covered in Russian schools so if soldiers were digging trenches, latrine pits...they could've even found buried graphite & kept it as something cool.

Wouldn't shock me that they don't cover it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    How is this not exactly what we do as well? And the British back in their day? And the Spaniards before them? It’s not communist DNA. It’s what superpowers do.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    How much of Europe did we keep after driving the nazis out? Yes, the US has done some despicable things, but please just stop it with the moral equivalency nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just the cemeteries where Americans were buried.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What moral equivalence? I was disagreeing with his statement about Russia and China wanting to dominate the world being unique. And to answer your question, we have over a dozen military bases in Europe. How many other countries have military bases in other continents?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Cnn live

"US will call for Russia to be suspended from UN Human Rights Council

From CNN's Mike Callahan

The US will ask the United Nations to suspend Russia from the Human Rights Council, US Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield said Monday their participation is "a farce."

According to a tweet by US mission spokesperson Thomas-Greenfield, “in close coordination with Ukraine, European countries and other partners at the UN, we are going to seek Russia’s suspension from the UN Human Rights Council.”

“I am returning to New York to do two things. One: I will take this to the Security Council tomorrow morning and address Russia’s actions directly," she wrote.

“Russia’s participation on the Human Rights Council is a farce. It hurts the credibility of the Council and the UN writ large. And it is wrong, which is why we believe it is time the UN General Assembly vote to suspend them,” Thomas-Greenfield said"

They should be thrown out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Yes & it's so awful that Kosovo has literally asked for the US to put a base there. Some Japanese are discussing having the US bring nukes to Japan. They're there for protection not to overtake a country/destroy it/erase it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  16. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Who said it was awful?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Cnn live

"Bucha mayor: "We will not forgive" Russians for the atrocities that happened here

They are working on identifying the bodies of the civilians who were shot dead, who mayor Fedoruk said "were indiscriminately killed by the Russian occupiers. A lot of them are elderly people."

"We get the impression that the Russian occupiers have got the green light from Putin and Shoigu, the Russian Defence Minister, to have a safari in Ukraine, and they weren't able to take Kyiv, so they vented their frustration on Bucha and the surrounding areas," he added. Around 3,000 people stayed in the town, which usually has a population of around 500,000, for the month of the Russian occupation, according to the mayor who also decided to stay. They were all "witnesses to the horrific events."

Mayor Fedoruk noted that many children and teenagers were victims of the carnage, despite posing "no threat" to the Russian troops. "It was impossible not to see that they were children, not to see that a mother is carrying a child," he told CNN.

He said that we can expect to see the same picture of atrocities from Kyiv to Mariupol, everywhere where the Russian occupiers have stepped, adding that what Putin has described as "denazification" is actually the "dehumanization of Ukrainians.""

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    It's what superpowers used to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Then what was your point with pointing out that the US has bases in other continents? Especially when you were comparing it to Russian & Chinese ambitions? Seemed like you were pointing it out in a negative light, hence my statement. It has also been pointed out negatively in the past by others so hence the statement.

If you meant it positively then apologies - didn't seem that way to me.

20. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s not positive or negative. It’s facts. We also try to dominate the world. To make it safer for us, our allies and our interests. That was my point. And no, our military bases are not there to protect those countries. They are there to protect our interests.

Personally, I’d much rather us dominate the world than Russia or China. Simply because we are still a democracy and have checks and balances. We can still hold our elected officials somewhat accountable if they do something that goes against our will. Unfortunately the Russian or Chinese people can’t.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1