Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    So much for that Russian general saying their goal was the 2 separatist states...if that's the goal why do you need Kyiv? :rolleyes:

"Russian forces attempting 'corridor' around Kyiv, says Ukrainian deputy defense minister

From CNN's Vasco Cotovio in Kyiv and Nathan Hodge in Lviv

Ukraine's deputy defense minister said Monday that Russian forces were attempting to establish a "corridor" around the Ukrainian capital to block supply routes, amid continued fighting around Kyiv's suburbs.

"The enemy is trying to make a corridor around Kyiv and block transport routes," said Hanna Maliar, Ukraine's Deputy Defense Minister, in televised remarks.

"The defense of Kyiv continues. Ground forces, Air Assault Forces, special operations forces, territorial defense are involved. Kyiv residents are also very active in the defense of Kyiv. It is very difficult for the enemy. But we must speak honestly: the enemy is not letting up attempts to seize Kyiv after all. Because taking Kyiv essentially means taking Ukraine. So that is their goal.""

2. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Oooooh "cause for concern". Thats the only issue with Biden's statement, that it gives Putin more ammo but they'll take anything including farting in their general direction as a "cause for concern" or a threat

"Kremlin says Biden's comments on Putin are a cause for concern

From CNN Staff

The Kremlin is concerned by US President Joe Biden’s comments about Russian President Vladimir Putin, spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Monday.

But the Kremlin issued its own affronted response, saying Russia's ruler is "not to be decided by Mr. Biden."

"These statements are certainly causing concern," Peskov said Monday on a regular conference call with journalists when asked about Biden’s comments.

"We will continue to closely monitor the statements of the US president. We carefully note them and will continue to do so," Peskov added."

3. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Cnn live.

"Zelensky says Moscow is "frightened" by his interview with Russian journalists

From CNN's Nathan Hodge in Lviv

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky reacted to Russia's attempt to censor his interview with independent Russian journalists, saying Moscow was "frightened" by journalists "who can tell the truth."

"Strong people of our strong country, today is the day when I’m convinced over and over again how far we are from the Russian Federation," Zelensky said in his latest video address Sunday.

"Just imagine, they were frightened in Moscow because of my interview with Russian journalists. Those of them who can tell the truth."

Some context:
    Moscow's media watchdog, Roskomnadzor, issued a statement Sunday warning Russian news outlets against rebroadcasting or distributing the interview.

"(They) destroyed freedom of speech in their state, (and are) trying to destroy the neighboring state. They portray themselves as global players. And they themselves are afraid of a relatively short conversation with several journalists," Zelensky said.
    "Well, if there’s such reaction, then we are doing everything right. Means they are nervous.""

Can I just say how well spoken Zelensky is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Cause for concern among the useful idiots over on fox too I'm sure.

5. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Well, the answer to that is as a bargaining chip. Let’s just buy for a second (I don’t personally) that Russia actually had limited objectives but was only posturing as if it meant to capture the whole country. Taking Kyiv gives them something “offer back” in exchange for official recognition of Donbas and Crimea being part of Russia. That is a classic move in limited war, an example from our own history being the British campaign to take New Orleans during the War of 1812. Their objective was not to keep New Orleans but to positively influence the peace negotiations that were already in progress. This didn’t work, of course, because, first, they lost the campaign, and second, unbeknownst to either side, the accords were signed before the main battle occurred. But that was the idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Not to dove too far off topic, but taking New Orleans, which I believe was either the largest City or one of the largest US cities at the time, was far from being limited to a political objective. Taking New Orleans meant seizing the Mississippi and the military ability to use the River.

7. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    IMO the goal was to quickly take Kyiv, depose Zelensky, install a Ukrainian puppet government, have that government recognize the independence of Crimea and the two breakaways, and then have those regions "vote" to join Russia.

That gives Russia the governable chunks of eastern Ukraine, sets the stage for eventual international recognition of those annexations, and retains purportedly neutral country as a sort of pseudo satellite state. And it all happens before anyone can really react.

I think there's some logic to it, but the whole thing blows up with Russia being unable to take Kyiv.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yep, I'm sure pootie pie was counting on this being over in less than a week. I also don't think he anticipated the western response nor the ferocity of Ukraine's will to fight. Even still he may be thinking he can outlast the west's willingness to keep the pressure on for the long haul ( i.e. beyond our 2024 election and potential new potus or return of Trump).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Well, of course. If New Orleans had no military, economic, or political value, then it wouldn’t be much of a bargaining chip. But my point stands that the British had no intent to keep New Orleans; the purpose of the campaign was to seize it and trade it back for some other concession.

Back to the topic, I was saying that could be the essence of Russia’s new narrative: We were only campaigning on the Right Bank to make you give us the Left Bank, and we will return Kyiv as a concession for official recognition. Personally, I agree with others here who assess that this is a face-saving out for a failed military campaign. And my position remains that we don’t allow Russia to save face. The only acceptable end state is full Russian withdrawal from all of Ukraine.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 4
  10. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Well, this is awkward.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wasn't a claim made this past weekend about Ukrainians mistreateing POWs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL

• Informative Informative x 4
  13. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Uh oh. Where is this going … ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    yeah, not sure I buy this one. What would be the point?

15. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Putin willing to poison his own people to poison Ukrainian diplomats. Because he’s just that kind of a guy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I agree that he’s precisely that kind of guy. Which is why the President, intentionally or not, was 100% correct that we cannot deal with Russia as long as he holds power.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    We already saw the same play with Putin’s political opposition. Hardly surprising to see it now. He needs to go.

18. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Putin staying in power would frankly be a kiss of death for Trump being elected, because we darn well know he & Putin are buddies and the sanctions will disappear, & next thing you know the US is getting out of NATO & let Putin do what he wants. I just don't see Trump standing up to Putin at all.

19. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Anonymous doing God's work in this situation with Ukraine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Yep. That's what I'd said that Ukranians were investigating but that they've been seeing a lot of staged fakes.