Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    They're probably gonna cannibalize the planes to keep some operational until a suitable, albeit inevitably much inferior, Russian(Sino-Russian?) alternative is available. It's probably more of a "if I can't have it then you can't either" kind of move. If they're desperate enough, maybe they'd even start producing Tu-154's again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Holy moly. There’s a reason to blatantly call Putin a war criminal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Thanks for the propaganda Vlad.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That's because 3 million people have fled to neighboring countries.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    First off I have said several times in this thread I don't want American troops on the ground or on the air or sea in this. I agree with the President that participation in creating a no fly zone over Ukraine is basically bringing NATO into the war. But we are supplying anti tank weapons, ammunition, food, supplies and even anti aircraft weapons. Where is the line?

Putin could just say that supplying those items is an act of war and attack NATO. If he does that, then I think the gloves come off of NATO. If he gets desperate, I am afraid that is what he will do.

Then again, as a human with empathy for my fellow humans, it pains me to see the destruction being rained down on these people.

• Agree Agree x 11
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Cnn live:

"Japan's Defense Ministry says it spotted 4 Russian warships, possibly taking troops to Ukraine

From CNN's Emiko Jozuka in Tokyo

Four Russian warships passed through the Tsugaru Strait in northeastern Japan between Tuesday and Wednesday, possibly transporting troops and combat vehicles to Ukraine, Japan's Defense Ministry said Wednesday.

"Japan’s Ministry of Defense will continue to monitor the situation and movements of the Russian army with a high sense of caution," the ministry said on its official Twitter account."

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Cnn live

"Russia resorting to older weapons more likely to cause civilian casualties, UK Defense Ministry says

From CNN's Hira Humayun and Josh Campbell

Russia is resorting to the use of older, less precise weapons that are less militarily effective and more likely to result in civilian casualties, according to the UK Ministry of Defence's latest intelligence update Thursday.

Due to the delays in "achieving their objectives and failure to control Ukrainian airspace," the ministry said Russia has probably “expended far more stand-off air launched weapons than originally planned,” leading them to resort to weapons that are less militarily effective."

10. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Cnn live

"Putin calls pro-Western Russians "national traitors"

From CNN's Seán Federico-O'Murchú and Sarah Dean

Russian President Vladimir Putin, who has clamped down on any dissent since the invasion of Ukraine, on Wednesday blasted pro-Western Russians by calling them “national traitors” in a televised address.

“The West will try to rely on the so-called fifth column, on national traitors, on those who earn money here with us but live there. And I mean ‘live there’ not even in the geographical sense of the word, but according to their thoughts, their slavish consciousness,” Putin said.

These people "cannot live without oysters and gender freedom," he added.

The term "fifth column" usually refers to enemy sympathizers and originated during the Spanish Civil War."

11. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
  12. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Cnn live

"Zelensky cites post-Holocaust phrase Never Again in address to German lawmakers

From CNN's Inke Kappeler in Berlin

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky made explicit reference to the Holocaust in an address to German lawmakers Thursday.

“Every year politicians say never again. Now I see that these words are worthless. In Europe a people is being destroyed," he said while speaking to lawmakers via a video address at the Bundestag."

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Tucker putin whining about cancel culture targetting Russia. Poor baby....

14. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Confusing. Via what route? The Turks I though had cut off warship access to the Black Sea

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I agree that 700 is impossible, and likely the result of the inability of independent agencies to verify civilian deaths totals during a war.

The city officials in Mariupol report 1200 civilians dead just in their city, which is completely out of step with the UN number.

16. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    No idea. And would they be allowed through the Red Sea/Suez anyway? Interesting to see if Turkey buckles & lets them pass. Or if Turkey says no & Russia goes anyways/attacks Turkey, which is a member of NATO.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    LONDON, March 17 (Reuters) - Russia warned the United States on Thursday that Moscow had the might to put the world's pre-eminent superpower in its place and accused the West of stoking a wild Russophobic plot to tear Russia apart.

Dmitry Medvedev, who served as president from 2008 to 2012 and is now deputy secretary of Russia's Security Council, said the United States had stoked "disgusting" Russophobia in an attempt to force Russia to its knees.

Russia warns United States: we have the might to put you in your place

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Tell me you suffered a narcissistic injury without telling me you suffered a narcissistic injury.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Sadly, since Boeing had to turn over designs to the Chinese several years back, I am sure that there are plenty of Chinese knock-off parts available for any Boeing aircraft in Russia. Not sure about Airbus, but sure that they signed up to the same "sold our soul for profits" deal with China.

Another reason why I laugh at all of the morons thumping their chest over "protecting US IP" when our corporate leaders turn it over willingly to meet quarter profit or growth targets.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Well, he is not wrong. The US and Russia both hold the power to kill the entire world several times over.

The US, therefore, can make the same infintile claim in response.

• Agree Agree x 1