Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Article 4 was implemented last night. That requires a meeting among members. I think you will see a coordinated response today.

But as far as open hostilities by NATO, Ukraine isn’t a member, so Article 5 doesn’t apply.

2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    No, but Article V did not apply to Bosnia, Kosovo, ISIS, or (somehow) Afghanistan either. But NATO acted anyway. I hope it acts again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    I do too. As I’ve said before, you and I are much closer in our thoughts about this than we are apart.

4. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Those who are way smarter please educate me/correct me if I'm wrong here.

Sanctions need to have teeth. I read somewhere (CNN, or somewhere) that sanctions on oil/energy are off the table because the American public won't handle more expensive energy well. This screams of "our numbers are already bad so we don't want to make it worse" (I'm cynical)

I'm all for doing things ethically and safely. But it's time to get Keystone back online. The US & Canada account for a MASSIVE amount of land mass/resources. We need to get back into drilling, mining, etc and fast. Because this is the drawback of globalization (it's already been seen with the supply chain issues from Covid).

Yes work on clean energy research etc, but shutting everything down/using other countries to avoid sociopolitical fallout at home just won't work in this new world.

5. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    See my post at 373.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Thanks. I'd read it but for some reason only the 1st tweet loaded for me & didn't see the escalating steps part.

I still would like to see the US be more self sufficient, though. Covid taught that lesson but I think this emphasizes it.

7. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    if you click the first tweet, it will take you to the thread. HTH.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Interesting news coverage this am, every station is bashing Putin, but also one questioning Zalensky. Odds there is a new Ukrainian President within 24 hrs?

9. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    And there it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Thanks. For some reason when I went back it loaded them in the thread. Think it's my phone but it only loaded part 1 last time. I'll try that next time

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Why am I getting a Spidey sense that I should be prepping my basement to serve as a nuclear bunker? o_O

13. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    It’s okay, Charlie Hurt is on saying it is worse because of all of Biden’s leadership. SMDH.

Tribalism

14. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    The Moscow bureau of the Financial Times believes Putin intends to install a puppet government in Kyiv.
    Subscribe to read | Financial Times

The precise targets of the Russian military are still emerging. But it is already clear that this is not a limited attack, confined to the disputed regions of eastern Ukraine. Explosions have been heard in the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv. And there are reports of Russian troops crossing the border from Belarus — which is the shortest and most direct route to Kyiv. Western security services, which have accurately predicted the course of events up until now, believe that Putin intends to overthrow the Ukrainian government and install a puppet regime in its place. This “decapitation” strategy will take in not only the central government, but also regional and local governments. Lists have been drawn up of Ukrainian officials who will be arrested or killed.

15. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    A few significant things I’m seeing this morning. And some my $.02 analysis.

This is NOT playing well among Russian celebrities. Yes, I know, but this is the closest thing we have to knowing what people believe on the Russian streets and the even mild criticism is enough to get banned from the airwaves in Putin’s Russia.

As I noted above, Russian markets are not responding well…and this is before the massive sanctions we are about to see from what is becoming an extremely united West.

We are also seeing countries that previously were hesitant to join NATO, such as Finland and Sweden, taking drastic steps towards joining the alliance. Additionally, our NATO Allies see this as the threat that it is. Out of Germany via Vindman:

Part of why Putin struck now was because he was on a limited time frame. He had assumed a divided West (the causes of which I will not delve into here), but also saw Western alliances healing. He had a limited time frame before the area became too muddy for armored vehicles. And he assumed that he could create a false flag pretext for invasion.

Our declassification of his false flag and his decision to invade showed our western Allies that he was the aggressor. And it appears that he miscalculated the unity of the West as a result. In fact, his actions may have unified the west even more.

We will see significant ratcheting up of sanctions as we see nato summit about Putin’s aggression.

The entire situation is tragic, for the people of Ukraine, for the people of Russia, and for the international rules based order that the greatest generation gifted to us with their blood and treasure. But the silver lining is the strength of our western alliances and that other countries are seeing the importance of joint defense from Russia and Belarus (Lushanko has begun fighting in Ukraine on Putin’s behalf).

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    OF COURSE he does. And then he will have that puppet regime hold an “election” about whether they want to be a part of Russia, rather than independent. And miraculously that election will result in Ukraine becoming part of Russia by overwhelming margins. Because Russia clearly administers open and fair elections.

17. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    There's no way to confirm what is or isn't real on reddit, but from people allegedly posting within Russia it doesn't seem like there is any support at all from within the country

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    He's also getting pretty old. He's in full on "legacy" mode now.

19. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    There isnt much love lost between Russia and Ukraine historically, but they are still basically like cousins. I don't think a full scale war was ever going to play well, particularly since it will likely wreck their economy.

20. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Finland has put out a statement saying they are prepared to join NATO if there is an acute threat to their national security, Sweden seems to be sticking with their historic “not joining alliances has served us well but we will be cooperative” stance.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1