Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Warning: Once the first one pops open, it's addictive. I almost gave it up because I bought the cheapest one I could find (Third from the left) and it turned out to be the hardest of all the ones pictured. If you want to give it try, get a cheap set of picks, a simple masterlock, and jump on YouTube. The first pick set I bought came with a clear lock so you could see the tumbler/pin setup and easily visualize what is going on during the pick.

I bought a deadbolt the other day to give it a try. It's more difficult because it has an extra pin in it. After about 5 or 10 sessions of about 10 minutes each, I opened it. I bought another one last week at a liquidation store, brand new Schlage in the box, for 5 bucks. I've only tried it for a few minutes, but it's still locked and next on my list.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Fun hobby.

I tried this years ago and it worked.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Corruption and undue influence cuts across both systems. This is more or less unavoidable human nature.

The key difference in the communist system, all industry is nationalized and owned by the state! The govt can’t distribute what it doesn’t own. Those Russian oligarchs didn’t “found” their company or build anything from the ground up, they were literally handed control and ownership of previous Soviet state controlled industry. Given the scope of their wealth, it’s obvious they were also given outsized % of the shares vs. whatever pittance was “allowed” to go to individuals or even institutional investors.

Yes, it’s gross that in our system we have guys rewarding themselves $10’s or even $100’s of millions despite apparent incompetence. We have corrupt actors pouring hundreds of millions into politics. We have shady govt contracts and rarely see takedowns for corruption. There’s definitely a bit of an old boys club, but this still pales in comparison to the situation with these Russian oligarchs. At least most of our billionaire oligarchs legitimately build something innovative, these Russian guys basically just loot the state of resources and nothing more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Like any five year old, saying no is the most terriblest thing that you can do to Russia. And setting up a defensive posture is practically saying no to what Russia wants to do.

• Like Like x 1
  5. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    I remember a doonesbury cartoon where Reagan is getting credited with the military budget increase that Russia tried to match and it toppled the soviet union. The punchline was Reagan asking "Am I that smart."

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    They are small potatoes compared to us. Most of their oligarchs own fossil fuel interests, transportation stuff, natural resources etc. But yeah, they didnt make Facebook or whatever. That seems a point in their favor though lol. We have the GDP of well, the USA, they have an economy the size of middling European states like Italy. We are 100% more dangerous to the world than Russia is. But having our kind of power, means you dont have to be wrong about anything, even when you are, like Iraq or helping crash the world economy.

7. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Your neighbor is crazy so you get a big dog for the yard to keep him on his side. Your crazy neighbor gets increasingly paranoid the dog is going to jump the fence and attack him so he attacks the dog with a poisoned umbrella.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Never tried it, but I'm familiar with the technique. Nice.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I will never understand the Putin Apologist's in their belief that Putin's right to destroy Western Democracy's world wide should supersede our right to protect Western Democracy's world wide.

10. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Why do we have the Monroe Doctrine in place? The answer is the same.

Your view is certainly the mainstream one, but it certainly has not prevented war in Ukraine. You can argue of course that it would've happened anyway, so we can just agree to disagree here. I also can't argue against it if you're willing to accept the consequences of promoting liberal democracy around the world no matter the cost. I think it's cost us a lot since the fall of the USSR and that it isn't worth it, but if you do then that's just a difference in opinion.

I also think China is not "just" an economic competitor, but rather that it's "also" an economic competitor, which makes it a far greater threat than the Soviet Union ever was. With that said, I agree that China is a lesser threat when it comes to invasions (except for Taiwan) as well as the spread of alternative political systems than the Soviets. I don't much care about those things though, as you can probably tell. I think their economic might will be able to threaten our financial dominance and in turn our wealth much more so than the Soviets, and that it allows them much more staying power than the Soviets, hence my view of them as a greater threat. Whichever industry they've moved up into, ours have been hollowed out. Only some Americans have felt some pain from it, and it's already causing social issues here, but as they move up into the cutting edge, we will all start to feel it.

11. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Don’t underestimate the disinformation campaign that we let slip to Soviet spies that we had the workable StarWars defense system. Russia went bankrupt trying to create the System that we had (even though it never actually worked)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Maybe that's what the Space Force is working on ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Russia doesn't agree that it is limited to defensive intentions only.

14. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yep, that old Russian paranoia after being invaded by Napoleon, then Hitler. None of which is any justifies what they are doing to Ukraine.

15. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    From CNN live

"CIA director: Chinese president "unsettled" by Russian invasion of Ukraine

Chinese President Xi Jinping is “unsettled” by the Russian invasion of Ukraine in part because “his own intelligence doesn’t appear to have told him what was going to happen,” CIA Director Bill Burns told the US Senate Intelligence Committee on Thursday.

Chinese leadership is also concerned because of “the reputational damage that China suffers by association with the ugliness of Russia’s aggression in Ukraine” and “the economic consequences at a time when growth rates in China are lower than they’ve been in 30 years,” according to Burns."

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Can you PM me with a link to a “cheap” set of picks? I’m curious how this hobby would set me back. lol

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled Ukraine War thread.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    This could go here or the energy thread...but :

"EU foreign policy chief says Putin "failed" in his belief that "he was going to conquer Ukraine"

From CNN's Joseph Ataman and Xiaofei Xu in Paris

European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said Thursday that Russian President Vladimir Putin “believed he was going to conquer Ukraine” but “he failed.”

“He believed he was going to divide us; he failed. He believed that he was going to weaken the transatlantic relationship and he failed. Now he has to stop,” he added while speaking to reporters while entering a summit of EU leaders in France’s Versailles.
    Borrell said after European countries reduce dependency on Russian energy exports, “we will be much safer. Have to spend less gas, use less gas, the climate requires that. For once, geopolitics and climate go together.”"

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    On my feed...Anonymous hacks Russian Federal agency, releases 360,000 documents. They hacks Roskomnadzor the agency responsible for monitoring/censoring media.

Looks like a tweet but I don't have twitter so...

• Like Like x 2
  19. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NY Times column by Tom Friedman
    Opinion | Putin Has No Good Way Out, and That Really Scares Me
    Essentially, Friedman is predicting defeat for Russia in Ukraine with the only question being whether Putin decides to minimize his losses and concedes with a face saving compromise (my words not Friedman's) or decides to fight an extended war resulting in a defeat and the deaths of tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians and Russians (again my words).

20. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Not to you, but it's up to you. It's up to the Russians to decide whether the threat of another invasion from the west, with western Ukrainians' backing (they sided with Hitler during WWII), is real or not.

What's up to us is to decide how WE respond to their actions based on their threat perception, not how THEY perceive the threat.

Look at it in reverse, Russians think their invasion is defensive in nature, and that it doesn't present a threat to the US and Western Europe. Do we care about what they think their threat level to us is?