Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Hall of Fame

Dec 31, 2016
    Whether people support $6 a gallon of gas doesn't matter one bit. We will still pay it no matter what happens (energy is a basic need). Nothing at this point will make a difference. Policy, arrogance and ignorance concerning the globes basic needs has all but assured prices will continue to rise. Where an equilibrium will be met is still unknown. Nearly 2/3rd's of the US is over $4 and California, leading the way over $5.

2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Well, we have already ruled out (in an unwisely public manner) military intervention of any degree. We are just about out of diplomatic and informational moves that might have any effect with military pressure off the table. And, now that we have wisely decided to stop funding the Russian war by buying its energy products, we are rapidly running out of economic measures. So absent a significant change in policy with respect to military pressure, escalation is a direction that is effectively closed off to us.

That leaves either continuing the status quo and hope that has the desired effect over time or essentially saying “Go ahead and take the Ukraine, we’ll go back to doing normal business with you … but — oooooh! — don’t you go trying this again, or we’ll make you veto another UNSC resolution.”

Your initial point is well taken. Barring a miracle, we are facing years, not months, of increased energy and food costs. We are also facing enormous defense increases for reasons that we could start a whole new thread on. But, no, unless we are willing to accept risk and defeat Russia in the field (and we won’t, clearly), I frankly don’t see an alternative to status quo. I don’t think the American people will accept a return to normal business with Russia unless and until they return to their January 2014 borders. I don’t even think a negotiated peace where they keep Donbas and Crimea will be acceptable to us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    My advice is give it some time and ease up on the insults. The President finally saw reason on banning Russian energy. He may also see reason on returning to energy independence as a necessary war measure. I have empathy for him that there is an element of his party he has to placate on this issue. Maybe there is room for a grand compromise from all of us: The President allows the necessary measures for energy independence for us and independence from Russian energy for our allies; in return we make a substantial national investment in renewable energy in terms of research & development, tax incentives, and subsidies.

Speaking for self, my wife and I just bought an electric car, being delivered today. It cost me more than I want to pay for a car, but I see it (since I’m not allowed actually fight Russians) as something very minor my family can do to support.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Biden and the Democrats are done. Sunk by Manchin and Sinema (both should be thrown out of the party). Russia loving white supremacist nationalists will sweep the Dems from the House in huge numbers in 2022 and by 2024 the fight will be to see which Russian sympathizing fascist is going to goose-step into the White House.

Dems swung for the fences and in 2021 and missed. Now, their failures are going to cost this country dearly, starting with democracy.
    We, as Americans are going to have to pay for corporate America to move back to the US, or it does not happen. That does not really seem fair. You and I are paying for a HUGE part of that $20B Intel investment in Ohio, and all we get in return is more expensive computers or handheld devices. Who is going to sign up for more of that?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  5. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Yes food costs will increase. At the risk of sounding like an old fashioned old lady, start making stuff at home from scratch again. Buy club packs & vacuum seal the rest. Menu plan. Make a massive list to go once every other week instead of every other day to impulse buy. Plan purchases to coincide with sales/gift cards. Etc. I got an aerogarden and have saved $20/month already on herbs etc I normally get. Not a ton but it'll add up.

Will there be hits? Absolutely. Is it inconvenient? Yep. Is it needed? Absolutely. Blame Russia for this mess & while we're paying more, think on the poor average Russian who likely will go back to bread lines & major shortages with a major economic collapse they'll never recover from.

6. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    I would love a Tesla to be honest but live in an apartment complex & the car sleeps outside. I have a plug in my garage but the nearest charging station is at the college & usually full. I only fill up once a month anyway. However I will say I also have seen my share of Teslas stuck in the snow and I've had to plow through my fair share of drifts so that may not work for me.

7. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Actually, as has been stated over and over again, this is why posters lose credibility echoing Fox News here, the Keystone XL pipeline will hurt the US, not help. The Keystone pipeline has been in place and operating for over a decade. The Keystone XL is probably what you are referring to which was going to take oil AWAY from the Keystone pipeline, by-pass terminals in Oklahoma, and send it directly to ships in Louisiana to ship to Europe. The Keystone XL pipeline did nothing for the United States except cost jobs in Oklahoma, it made huge profits for a Canadian oil company though.

As for Venezuela and Iran, again, you are spouting out BS from TV that is simply not true. In fact, by engaging in negotiations with Iran and Venezuela and buying oil from them, it would further cut into the supply to China making it more costly for them. Currently $Billions in "sanctioned" oil is being sold under our noses and we know it, but cannot stop it. By negotiating to buy it, we limit the black market.

It is kind of sad that right wingers run around calling Biden stupid, when he has forgotten more about running a nation then most Republicans who are brainwashed by Fox will ever know.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I live in Southern California, which for the most part, is a source of continuous lamentations for me (We do what we must to keep the peace at home). But I must grudgingly admit that one benefit is I don’t generally worry about being stuck in the snow ;)

9. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Can’t think of a better time to go on a diet and start riding a bike. :)

At least I have a scooter that gets 58 mpg. (Suzuki Bergman 400cc)

My SUV is a four banger that gets close to 30mpg.

10. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Our being overly dependent on foreign oil has unacceptable consequences on US foreign diplomacy. Ie Wars. But also, too much pollution is bad. I Wish Biden came in with all-encompassing, including compromises, energy bill. Allow pipeline and some new drilling. But encourage renewables and additional mpg mandates overtime. We need more oil, but it’s unreasonable as a society to not also address unfettered demand.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wheat and many other grain prices will rise this year as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    People like me whose businesses or personal lives have been dramatically (and negatively) impacted by the failure of just in time inventory management the past two years.

Want to build a warehouse or a shopping center (my particular business)? It's a year + for steel or roofing tile, with no price quote that's valid for more than 24-48 hours.
    Need a new refrigerator or dishwasher because yours has failed? It's 4-10 months for many higher end models in nice homes today.
    Your car failed and you need a new one? Sorry, it's 6 months for a new one or you can fight with the 40 other people who want the handful of cars sitting on the lot today.

That's who.

13. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    From CNN live

"German federal prosecutor launches probe into Ukraine war crimes

From CNN's Nadine Schmidt

Germany's federal prosecutor has opened a so-called ''structural investigation'' into suspected war crimes committed by Russian troops since the invasion of Ukraine, the prosecutor's office told CNN on Tuesday.

''The Federal Prosecutor's Office has opened a so-called structural investigation in connection with the international armed conflict between Russia and Ukraine," a statement sent to CNN said. ''There are concrete indications that war crimes may have already been committed, in particular war crimes involving the use of prohibited methods of warfare against Ukrainian civilians as well as civilian objects," the statement said.
    In the past Germany has repeatedly prosecuted atrocities committed abroad, including the war crimes in Syria. In January, a German court sentenced a former Syrian army colonel to life in prison, in the first-ever torture trial against President Bashar al-Assad's regime. "

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I don't think the Keystone expansion would have pumped oil until at least 2023 if not early 2024 so it wouldn't have made an ounce of difference today. And it comes from Canada so its still an import that doesn't make us any more energy independent. It does come from a friendly source, but it's still not home grown.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Time to fire up all these closed/abandoned steel/other manufacturing plants that are literally sitting around here, closed due to sending stuff overseas, etc. Heading towards the falls it's just building after building still standing but being leased out for storage or not being used at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It's a virtual certainty considering that both Russia and Ukraine are major exporters. While most American businesses and households will suffer as the result of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, US grain farmers will benefit from a windfall probably on par with that experienced by US energy producers.
    Wheat prices hit record highs as war halts exports from Ukraine and Russia

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    One does wonder what happens to the resolve, western unity, and sanctions after January 2025 if the gop is in control of the senate, house, and white house. (particularly if Trump gets back in---reminder : he didn't have a chance in 2016 either :rolleyes:)

18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am not saying this is the wrong decision, only that it isn’t the only one.
    For example, this war is now looking like it will be longer and more protracted than expected. There is a legitimate argument to be made that keeping the pressure high enough that it will rot Russia from the inside, but not severe enough to make them stop and get out of jail on it quicker benefits us more in the long run. Is that good for Ukraine? No, they would essentially be the ones that took the brunt of the workload in eventually destroying Russia, like Afghanistan did in the 80’s Which is why I said moral compass decisions are relevant.
    Also keep in mind, Russia has said that should their oil exports be cut off that they would consider cutting off gas to Western Europe, which would all but force a larger war. Now maybe they don’t follow through and are bluffing, but is that better than the status quo? Bill Ackman said we are already at war, whether we realize it or not. And I am not sure he’s wrong.

Not speaking of you with this, but just feel like some people are looking at this like “we need to be tough, we need to show Putin”, so everyone ponies up the next “tough” thing we can do, without understanding the larger geopolitical picture. There are real consequences to some of these actions. If people truly understand them and are willing to live with the consequences, then so be it. But not sure they are. Which was the point of my first post.

19. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    All true, but since this is likely to be a long struggle (again, barring a miracle), 2023 looks pretty good right now. To be frank, 2025 looks good right now. And, as you suggest, buying Canadian oil is infinitely better than buying Russian, Venezuelan, Iranian, or even Saudi oil. I think there is broad consensus on that.

20. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Good for them...from CNN live:

"EU plans to slash Russian gas imports by two-thirds this year and aims to phase out dependence before 2030

From CNN’s Chris Liakos and Mark Thompson

The European Union has outlined plans to eliminate its dependence on Russian energy.

Speaking on Tuesday, it says it will cut Russian gas imports by two-thirds this year, and eliminate its overall need for Russian oil and gas “well before 2030.”

The EU said in a press release it plans to eliminate its dependence on Russian gas by “diversifying gas supplies, via higher LNG and pipeline imports from non-Russian suppliers, and larger volumes of biomethane and renewable hydrogen production and imports; and, reducing faster the use of fossil fuels in our homes, buildings, industry, and power system, by boosting energy efficiency, increasing renewables and electrification, and addressing infrastructure bottlenecks.”"

I think the pain will suck for everyone for a while but Europe is finally seeing it's need to wean off Russia. That's going to be a big hit for Putin because of the income stream. What a shame /sarcasm

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1