Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Hall of Fame

Dec 31, 2016
    When it comes to you now it matters? It should matter in all aspects of human interaction sadly we are seeing it does not and further more we are witnessing nations that find this acceptable behavior.

2. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    That's been my take all along file the charge, freeze the assets and prove the crime.

3. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Actually I'd said as much before. Including Trump. So yes. Let them prove it didn't come from bribes or laundering. Because let's be real, relationships with Putin aren't exactly knitting clubs.

4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Assets are long gone by then and you lose any ability to compel them at discovery

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    UN needs to establish a corridor. If Russia chooses to fire on UN troops evacuating civilians then it's time to dance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It’s not about me individually. The distinction between a U.S. individual and a foreign entity matters. The distinction between domestic constitutional rights vs. foreign affairs (internationally sanctioned individuals) matters.

We generally allow foreigners full property rights in this county, that doesn’t mean we ought to be a haven for money launderers anymore than the Caymen’s or Cyprus ought to be. Property rights != a black box for organized crime or for state actors.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    My sentiments exactly everyone from Clinton, to President Biden, to President Trump or anyone else - file a charge and prove it. If you cannot take the basic steps from the perspective of law we are doomed when it comes to legal recourse.

8. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    I'm not saying we should be a haven for money laundering and you know that full well and you can include the state of Delaware in that analysis. I am talking about basic property rights. Imagine your assets being seized by a foreign country. Good luck complaining to the US about it. A product doesn't ship without payment up front.

9. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    That potentail is always there but innocent until proven guilty trumps all other claims concerning personal property rights with exception such as emminent domain. Even then property owners must be compensated for their property.

10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    TooHot poster going to bat hard for Russian oligarch “property rights” I did not have on my bingo card.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  11. carpeveritas

Dec 31, 2016
    Wrong it is everyone's property rights and if you fail to see that so be it.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    not interested in US troops engaging in any Kenetic operations. Give them all the weapons they want but hard no American soldiers, sailors , airmen, Marines in any ‘ dance’

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    I’ve heard below regarding Putin from multiple leaders and those who worked in Russian diplomacy. Below is why it’s a concern to install a “no fly zone”. Which is euphemism for US/NATO jets, Russian jets and SAMs destroying each other. I.e. US vs Russia war in Ukraine skies.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Is there a limit to the number or a means test to the method by which they slauughter innocent women, children, elderly that would justify UN involvement on humanitarikn grounds? Should we permit him to build gas houses like we did hitler?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  16. obgator

obgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    First they came for the Russian oligarchs…

• Funny Funny x 5
  17. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    I am not reading the whole thread. Don’t have time
    But it seems that we(us and half the world) are not engaging Russia over
    1. Fear of what might happen
    2. Wanting someone else to do so.

Because of this lack of true action we (US and half the world) have taken other measures. Sanctions. To the point of sanctioning and “freezing” assets of Russian millionaires who have not technically done any wrong other than support the leader of their country.
    Is this the just of it?
    Personally, I hate reacting or not reacting out of fear. Millions of lives are in danger. America likes to act like the world leader. America wants the world to follow our lead on human rights and green technologies. America wants to be on a pedestal of moral excellence. But now we won’t get our hands dirty to protect the weak? Because Europe won’t? No thanks.
    But if that is the stance we take do we really want to be freezing assets of billionaires so that they will pressure Putin? How far away are we from holding someone close to Putin for ransom until he backs off?
    I do not believe in doing whatever it takes in the name of defeating evil. That just leads to you doing evil. I do believe in doing everything with in your power to legally and morally stop evil.
    Let me be clear. I’m not passing judgement. We all have to draw our lines where we can. If it was my child/wife that was hurt or kidnapped I have zero doubt I would personally blur those lines… but as a nation, I think we should try to make the moral legal stance our line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    From CNN live...
    "Eight civilians dead after shelling hits district, says Mayor of Kyiv district

From CNN staff

Eight civilians were killed in the midst of an evacuation in Irpin — a district west of Kyiv that saw intense shelling on Sunday — the mayor of Irpin Oleksandr Markushyn said in a statement on Telegram Sunday. Markushyn said Russians opened fire during an evacuation across a bridge.

"A family died," he said, "in front of my eyes two small children and two adults died."

Video from the scene showed civilians moving through the checkpoint before an explosion occurred at a crossroads that appeared to be caused by a shell or mortar. "

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Tiktok suspending services in Russia, and American Express has joined Visa & Mastercard.

There's also continued criticism of both Coca-Cola & McDonalds for not acting.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    They're also low on food for workers... from CNN live

"Russian forces have switched off some mobile networks and internet at Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant, IAEA says

From CNN staff

Russian forces have switched off some mobile networks and the internet at Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, according to Rafael Mariano Grossi, the director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

In a statement, the IAEA said that this meant that “reliable information from the site cannot be obtained through the normal channels of communication.”"