Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I’m before his tripe, “History began for you on Feb 24, 2022”, or similar inanity.

Edit: I’m too late (see post 28734)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    We don’t hate Russians. We loathe their leader and the propagandists.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. enviroGator

enviroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    In the immortal words of the great patriot Jesse Wails, "dieing is no way to make a living son."

4. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    This post invites lots of pushback. For starters, Russians solidly support Putin. So be honest and declare your hatred for the Russian people for loving Putin.

5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Well I reckon so...my kids still hate hearing that

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When is the last time that Israel expanded its territory into other countries through violence? How many square miles have they taken? I can only recall a few in the Golan Heights a LONG time ago after Syria attacked them from those heights. Israel has invaded Gaza and Lebanon, but not without provocation. (Then they withdrew.) Do you not agree that they have a right to defend themselves? You seem to think that Israel has invaded ten countries and kept every bit of additional territory that they could get their hands on. You should probably think before you speak.

I don't think it's likely that we engage in a terrorist action against Russia though Ukraine if Russia takes over the country. We would likely wind up waiting for Russia's next economic collapse (while we continue sanctions if we can get Europe to continue them). When Russia does collapse again, we would support Ukraine's bid for freedom at that time. It happened 34 years ago, and could easily happen again.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    100% false. Us higher education is the best in the world and major research universities have had huge benefits for people from every country. The us military has create a safety net for maritime trade across the world and has essentially ended major piracy. And that’s just the simple stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    You don't think our intentions are better than Russia's? You think that after Russia is defeated (assuming they will be), we will point a gun at Zelenskyy's head and demand his mineral wealth and the profits from his farmland? Did we take Iraq's oil? Because I don't remember that happening.

Or are you ignorant enough to believe that Russia will not steal Ukraine's mineral wealth and weaponize their farmland to get what they want from starving countries? Which part of humanity does that benefit? Yeah, Moscow--how about that?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2024 at 8:27 PM
  9. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Only an imbecile believes that Russians solidly support Putin. If Russians did even moderately support Putin, Put would not have to have one half-way decent political rival killed in prison, while selecting two hopeless losers to run against in his "election".

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    To clarify … my comment about universities was related to the extent to which they intertwine with the ‘military industrial complex’ and the defense industry.

11. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Their intentions are the same as ours … their self-interest and imperial aims. I suppose we all think our own self-interest is the best as we are all the protagonists of our own reality and the heroes of our own story, but that’s kinda why the word is so shitty!

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  12. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007

Yes, of course there’s another option—Ukraine surrendering territory, cities, and citizens to the invader. While this may offer short-term peace, it’s unsustainable in the long run. Citizens likely wouldn’t be allowed to leave occupied areas, leading to violence similar to Crimea. And God help the children in those regions. Appeasing dictators like Putin would encourage further territorial aggression globally. Why assume Russia would stop? The broader consequence could be greater instability in Europe and the world if they see us giving in to Putin. Will Putin next attack Baltics? Further aggression in Georgia? Disruption in Poland? China becomes more embolden and aggressive? Long-term strategy matters, and stopping aid to Ukraine due to political dysfunction only increases the odds of such issues becoming reality.

And from only a dollars standpoint as that’s the only point maga gets - hypothetically- if one US military product could guarantee a diminished Russian army to where it is now, with zero lost US lives, what would we pay? $200B?, $300B, more? And much of the aid we provide now is older equipment including Vietnam era. And it’s not like we’re setting those dollars on fire. It’s all US equipment so those dollars are going into our workers pockets. So strictly from a dollars standpoint, supporting Ukraine weakens 1 of our 2 primary adversaries with a decent roi. And Btw, every single one of us loathe having to send $$ because of a murderous tyrant.

But, because of magas dysfunction and inability to gov, their delay of equipment for 8 months might have locked some of this in.

Lastly, dismissing others as “uneducated” because of differing opinions is ironic when simply echoing Trump’s positions, including “art of the deal”.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2024 at 9:01 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Wow... you almost made it through an entire post without mentioning Trump.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    so all research on anything related to weapons should stop?

15. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Again, how much oil did the U.S. take from Iraq? Answer . the . question .

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  16. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Apparently, Russia's coordination of equipment movements and placement of dragon's teeth is getting Russians killed. Just when you think that Russia's army can't get any more inept, they find a new way to get themselves killed.

Russian troops are crashing into their own anti-tank barriers and dying, pro-Putin hardliners say

17. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Definitely

18. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    On a side note advent health has done something similar in DeLand. There is a cut through that goes from a residential area and bypasses a traffic light cutting through some professional buildings tht advent has recently acquired. No new signage, no new anything but advent has dropped 6 massive hunks of concrete blocking the entrances to this cut through. I think they have some liability here if someone destroys their car and their health ramming these things.

19. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    You're right. I don't want you anywhere near government.

You understand it's a super thin line between energy research, propulsion, theoretical physics, and weapons research, right? Where do you draw the line?

And of course, just because the US stops it doesn't mean everyone else stops. So when the US is being bombarded from space, I guess everything will be OK in your book...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Outlaw Jose Wales,
    Dying ain't much of a living.

• Agree Agree x 1