Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Trump is the same guy who made a deal to get out of Afghanistan but didn't want to pay the cost of seeing it carried out and endlessly delayed it. Its feasible to me you just see the similar thing from Trump as Biden/Harris in Israel ... endless talk of imminent deals or negotiations while arms sales continue on a bipartisan basis. Like maybe he's ok with taking hits from Ukraine being totally overrun and being seen as the guy who lost it (to gain what exactly?), but I assume you could play to his vanity on trying to get a "deal" where you look like the hero. Giving arms to Ukraine is just leverage for a better deal after all.

2. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    LOL at people who believe we have two parties. We only have two factions vying to serve the interests of the Military-Industrial Complex.

3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    putin buying meat for the slaughter from N Korea

Thousands of North Korean soldiers deployed to Ukraine (msn.com)

Thousands of North Korean soldiers are undergoing intense training with the aim of being deployed to Ukraine, according to a report by the American NGO Institute for the Study of War.

The organization indicates that Kim Jong Un's troops are expected to be sent to the front lines "by the end of 2024," providing a significant military advantage for Vladimir Putin.

While foreign mercenaries are already fighting alongside both armies, the deployment of North Korean troops would mark a turning point in the conflict's history, as it would be the first time a government officially sends its soldiers.

A source within Ukrainian intelligence informed the organization that "several thousand" soldiers are currently training in Russia.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    It's a huge difference because no American military members are in harms way or being reported killed every night.

Trump is a wholly owned puppet of Putin who wants to roll tanks into Europe. Letting Putin run unchecked will cause more war and more death outside of Ukraine.

5. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I understand that’s the necessary narrative in an election year, and I’m no more comfortable than you with the “great relations” he has with Putin, Orban, etc. But even if there’s a kernel of truth in the “Putin owns Trump” narrative, then it’s still true that the national security advisory group that he will necessarily have to surround himself with are not owned by Putin, and they recognize the danger of just letting Putin have what he wants so he doesn’t throw a tantrum. Can Trump overrule his NS team? Sure. But not without risking an embarrassing level of resignations right at the beginning of his second term and being unable to fill these roles with anyone remotely qualified.

In the unlikely event that Trump wins, what will happen is 1. he will find imposing his simplistic will on either Russia or the combined front of Ukraine and U.S. allies is not nearly as easy as he he thinks; 2. once he has access to the classified information the Biden Administration has denied him and his advisors, he will see of the two groups, Russia is the far more vulnerable and movable party; 3. his advisors are going to line up that pushing Russia harder represents the quicker end that Trump ultimately wants; 4. we will all be amazed how quickly the strongest supporters of giving Russia what they want turn their cloaks and see the genius in pushing Russia toward a face-saving defeat.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Sounds like Putin has opened the door for Western nations to likewise send volunteer expeditionary forces. So be it.

7. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Congrats on a post more delusional than the last. His NATSEC people are also going to be Putin puppets like Michael Flynn. He will not allow any contrarians around him this time.

He won't do one thing Putin doesn't want. He can't even bring himself to criticize anything Putin does out loud.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Chickenhawks never met a war they didn’t want to fight with other people.

9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Could be. That’s not my read. And unlike your good self I’ve met some of the people you’re dismissing as “Putin puppets.” I don’t like Trump. I don’t support Trump. But I have more respect than you do for the structural elements of this country that will rope him in to certain courses of action whether he likes it or not.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  10. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    If you desire peace in Ukraine you’re a Putin puppet.

11. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Of course the American government would rather other people die for its foreign policy objectives, but its still a war, one in which you certainly agree American weapons are critical to its indefinite sustainability.

12. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Or, by extension, only prolonging Ukraine’s agony.

13. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Most intelligent people know that Ukraine's primary agony will start after Russia takes over and they become vassals of Russia. No more free voting, no more saying what they are thinking, arbitrary arrests and imprisonment for having the wrong opinion, forced conscription into military duty and sent off to distant wars, foreign overlords gorging themselves on the profits of their natural resources, etc. Basically, no freedom and no hope. That is the agony that Ukraine is staring in the face. Dimwits may tell themselves that Russia will be gentle slave owners, but the rest of us know better. Ukrainians know about the torture centers, and know they will not go away if they lose this war. They do not want to become Ukrainestan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting story about how communist countries work, from my days in China as well as an article I read a while back. All Chinese people in any area know who belongs to the communist party and who doesn't. In some areas, party members wear little Chinese flag pins of a certain look on their lapel to let others know that they are in "the club". There is a real problem if someone organizes a friendly pick-up basketball game or some other competitive event. Everyone has to understand who the most important party member in the group playing is, or who the most important relative of the person playing is. The most important person cannot be allowed to lose the game. The other team must let them win no matter what. Sometimes a westerner joins one of these games without knowing the "cardinal rule", and his own teammates wind up tackling him before he makes a game-winning basket. It sounds crazy, but its true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Don't worry, if that happens Americans will be able to rationalize arming and/or aiding whatever resistance emerges and get the same feels of bleeding Russia to serve the interests of the US empire. Its not terrorism when its our proxies doing it.

16. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I doubt it. If the U.S. continues supplying weapons to Ukraine, assuming that Ukraine does lose the war, it will have to be through the CIA. And I don't know if the CIA even does that anymore. Right now, we are supplying weapons to an internationally recognized government, so we can do that openly, and in billion dollar quantities. The CIA would only be able to supply small weapons that are smuggled into the country. No more F-16's, no more Abrams tanks or Bradley fighting vehicles, no more HIMARS and artillery. And the CIA agents would be facing a likely death penalty if they got caught.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    so were you injured when they tackled you?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I'm pretty sure the CIA almost exclusively exists to run guns and drugs to fund various activities. Resistance groups dont need F-16s or tanks. They need small arms, explosives and handheld missiles. But if Ukraine isn't important enough to fund anti-Russian resistance/terrorism within its borders and all the risks that come with it, then why is it so important to send them even more expensive military hardware at the risk of an actual regional war? I'm sure neocons would salivate at the chance to have a Christian Chechnya in a low grade civil war within their orbit if it came to that.

19. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    I’m not as optimistic on a Harris win. (Of course discussed in other threads). If trump is potus and lets Putin brutalize Ukraine, he/maga-congress might only respond after public opinion builds for more aid. Per a recent poll below, support is higher than expected. If we stop our support and Russia again starts with atrocities the issue of military aid will come back into focus for our ADD populace. Hopefully not too late. Russian soldiers will be merciless after months of being battle hardened and seeing their comrades shredded in Putin’s meat assaults . And a lot of blame will be on Trump as he allowed his pal Putin to do it.

upload_2024-10-14_17-6-35.png

upload_2024-10-14_17-7-9.png

An increasing number of Americans think Ukraine is winning its war with Russia | YouGov

Last edited: Oct 14, 2024 at 9:26 PM
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    under the better late than never..better we learned these weaknesses with ukraine fighting than when we were fighting..

all part of the massive amount of real world intel and new world drone tactics/impacts that we are getting out of the war in Ukraine without loss of life. not to mention the tremendous amount of field testing and proof of impact of us weapons systems.

amazing the number of single point bottleneck in our supply chains. take out one and the whole chain is broken. lots of money now being spent in the midwest to increase artillery production and diversify to different plants

Army races to widen the bottlenecks of artillery shell production (msn.com)