Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    • Like Like x 2
  2. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Question for the military folks: Turkey's drones have been a huge help. I'm sure the US has plenty & more advanced drones...can't the US send some of those over too?

3. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    I think the US needs to be careful here. We need to support Ukraine as much as we can without doing so much that Putin starts calling them our puppets.

4. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    YES!!! Go get 'em!

"President Zelensky says first wave of foreign fighters has arrived to assist Ukraine

From CNN's Lindsay Isaac

The first foreign fighters have arrived in Ukraine to help defend the country against the Russian invasion, according to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

“Ukraine is already greeting foreign volunteers. (The) first 16,000 are already on their way to protect freedom and life for us, and for all,” he said in a video address posted on Facebook Thursday.

The Ukrainian government has called for people around the world to join the fight against Russia."

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    True but with the US/others sending equipment, I was wondering why we couldn't send drones. Is it training? Or that we don't want a drone in Russian hands if the shoot it down?

6. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I know of any number of US citizens who are constantly preparing for and promoting war. They should hurry on over to Ukraine, where the action is. I am quite serious about this. Certain segments of our population are of a militant mindset, and wait impatiently for the outbreak of a US civil war.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    But which side would they be on?

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    From CNN live

"Lavrov claimed — without evidence — that the Ukrainian side had deliberately delayed their arrival, and suggested that the Ukraine is a puppet state of the United States."

They also claimed Ukranians are late/delaying and that they arrived last night & were kept waiting. That meeting was always set for today so more garbage.

So in reply to the post a few above this one, they're already claiming Ukraine is a US puppet, so might as well send more stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    There's folks on both sides who are always prepped, but have seen plenty of people, yes some claiming they'd voted for Trump but said this was wrong & they felt they had to help fight the Russians, packing their stuff & headed out. Documenting dealing with the embassy, their airport stops, and finally arriving at the border.

Also a good number of nurses trying to find out if they can go even though they wouldn't be fighting.

These are from not just Americans, but British, Irish, Canadian, etc.

But yes I'm sure there are those rooting for Putin that may be inclined to go & just not document it.

10. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We can but as others have said, we have tread carefully here. Just because we haven't put troops in Ukraine doesn't mean we can outfit them with our arsenal. Well, we can because it still requires labor and manpower to operate. We already sent hundreds of shoulder stingers and a ton of other things. I think cruise missiles have not been deployed in Ukraine.

11. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Careful, I got an earful for suggesting certain posters who long for more US action/intervention go get their gun and fight. :)

12. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There's precedent for that. Back during the Cuban Missile Crisis, we tested a nuke in the Pacific that almost had Russia push the button. Really bad timing and no one questioned it. I think if I were part of that test, I would have asked my superiors, "Hey Brian, do you think this is a good idea to test a nuke when we are on the brink of nuclear war?" It could have been seen as saber rattling.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I wonder why. Seems like a match made in heaven to me. A BYOG event in Ukraine. Crowd-sourced war has arrived.

15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Maybe they've filled their quota of drone pilots, keyboard warriors and officer attaches (coffee getters). Only jobs as frontline infantry left.

16. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I have stated it but will do so once more. Yes, I am willing to risk general war, because in my estimation that is now where this is going, one way or another. I also believe we can take steps to mitigate the risk of general war while providing more direct military effect for the Ukrainians.

As to our strategic interests, in my opinion this situation raises a greater threat to our interests than did the Balkan wars of the 1990s. The main strategic justification (as opposed to humanitarian appeal) was the refugee crisis. This war threatens to dwarf the Balkans and ISIS combined in terms of displaced peoples. The population of Ukraine is enormous, and its primary export is foodstuffs. Watch the food crisis unfold next when no one is working those fields (it’s going to take Russia some time to bring in, er, volunteers to take over the farming, and even when they do I kind of doubt that food goes west). Finally, we are looking at years of frozen conflict ahead if we do nothing now. That means dramatic increases in military expenditure, fuel costs, etc. Well, either that, or appeasing Russia’s next few demands after Ukraine falls … and it will fall without direct support.

So that, I hope, summarizes the why of my support for limited intervention now. The how is a separate matter, but I won’t get into it again until there’s more widespread support for the why.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Volkswagen joins Ford in halting production & deliveries, Jaguar, Volvo, and Land Rover deliveries halted too.

Formula 1 has also pulled out the Russian Grand Prix (?) which is apparently a big deal in racing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    The revolution will be televised.

20. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    There is a young F1 driver who is actually the son of a Russian oligarch. The oligarch’s company is one of the main sponsors of the team (basically paying $$$ for the kids seat in formula1, which is how that sport works nowadays). It’s a last place car anyway, but the team dropped the sponsorship so the driver will probably be forced out too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1