Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I unblocked people for the start for the football season. It is painful to read some of the nonsense put up by people who claim not to be pro Russia. The old term useful Idiots comes to mind. Was that Kruschev or Stalin who coined that term.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hopefully that replacement would be on a much shorter and less secure leash.

3. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Nothing confirms the accuracy of my words more than when a Democrat lays the "c'mon man" on my post and has only insults in retort.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    We will see. Do you have a prediction for when this "verge" translates into actual quitting? And is it before or after Odesa and Kharkiv inevitably fall to this unstoppable Russian juggernaut?

5. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Your error is in calling me a democrat. I have been a registered Republican in Florida for close to 25 years. Before that I lived in Georgia.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    You assume Putin cares about the value/costs of Russian solders/conscripts/prisoners which he does not.

7. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    I don't think Russia will take Odesa and Kharkiv. I think a ceasefire deal will be struck before it gets to that point. But if Ukraine holds out into 2025 and beyond, eventually those cities will fall to Russian hands. You believe that too, because you know Russia's ability to reproduce munitions far exceed Ukraine's and eventually Ukraine will wear down. And you know Washington won't continue cutting $100 billion checks every time Ukraine runs a little short. I think Ukraine will quit (via ceasefire) within the next 6 months, give or take.

8. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Does he care about their grieving widows? No, he clearly does not. Does he care as a military strategist knowing that you need soldiers to fight wars? Of course, he does. But yeah, I would agree he gives a damn not about the pain and suffering of ordinary Russians and therefore he is more likely to sacrifice more in that arena to achieve objective. That doesn't help Ukraine.

9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Six months. Got it. We have a winter Ukraine surrender coming and Russian civilization triumphant. I'll be sure to ask you for your China-takes-Taiwan prediction at that time.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Dude honestly, just stop making predictions. You are wrong far far far far more than you are right and we all have the receipts. You've thought Ukraine was on the verge of defeat for like the last 18 months now. Give it a rest.

Further, there is nothing cheap about fixing an electrical grid or energy infrastructure. In fact, many of the key parts and equipment are hard to make and acquire, hence why Ukraine is constantly asking for help, not just militarily but also in repairing infrastructure. If it was so easy to fix and replace, Russia wouldn't be wasting millions of dollars of long range munitions to destroy it - unless they're stupid. They would instead be focusing that firepower on fixed defensive positions. Russian attacks are also not designed to "cripple" a non-existent military supply chain - Ukraine gets almost all of their military equipment from allies - they barely make any of their own. If Russia wanted to cripple that supply chain they would be hitting roads, rail, food, etc. and they aren't - they focus their attacks almost entirely on energy.

I feel like at a certain point you are just being intentionally obtuse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    While I am with you, that society only seems to cater to despots and murderers. Talk about a country that loves "Self Flagellation", Russia is it.

13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    First f16 and pilot was lost during the recent missile bombardment.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...estroyed-crash-monday-wsj-reports-2024-08-29/
    YIV, Aug 29 (Reuters) - An F-16 fighter jet used by Ukraine crashed on Monday, Kyiv's military said, the first such loss reported since the long-awaited arrival of the U.S.-made planes in the country was confirmed this month.
    The jet came down and its pilot died while it was approaching a target during a Russian airstrike, the Ukrainian General Staff said on Thursday in a statement on Facebook.

14. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Well, yes

15. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ukraine is certainly winning one war: the war to damage Russia with cheap long-range drones while Russia tries to shoot them down with expensive missiles.

Ukraine's long-range drones using Western tech to hit Russia

16. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    I think she identifies as badass …

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  17. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Wrong again, Lee Harvey. The Kursk invasion was not a diversion for the Russian military (it probably did not have enough soldiers to do that). It was a diversion for the Russian people, and also a chance to disrupt some of Russia's logistics. Now they know the truth about the war (that it hasn't been going well for Russia, and Russian soil near the border is no longer safe for them), they know they cannot trust Putin's lies. A communist government is often built upon lies, and depends on the people's willingness to accept those lies. The Russian people might not be too happy with having their security threatened, in addition to watching their economy suffer. So far, the Kursk invasion has been very successful at humiliating Putin and distracting the Russian military leadership's top brass.

18. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    This what barbarians teach their children. The U.S. is a bit more civilized than Russia, in case you didn't know.

19. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    This is hilariously stupid, considering I've been saying here for a long time Russia's goal is not to annex the entirety of Ukraine. But even if it was, the point still stands. It's cheaper in the long run for the Russians to knock out Ukrainian infrastructure than it is to buy an army. Hell, I think even Hitler used 'strategic bombing' of cities he called lebensraum. You all are so clumsy when it comes to military strategy. Obviously knocking out Ukraine's communications and electrical grid benefits Russia on the front line. But lol, I never claimed Russia wants to annex the entire country. Just another example of the Biden/Harris lib reading what they want to read, instead of actually understanding. And I've never predicted imminent Ukrainian defeat. Reading your posts here, I don't think you really know what the hell you're talking about when it comes to war and conquest. Most generals, if they are being honest, will tell you Ukraine cannot win this war.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    How long have you been a general?

• Funny Funny x 2