Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    A little resistance …

2. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    You can ignore the troll. Have you ever looked at the sources he quotes? He thinks some random moron with a Twitter account is a source.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Still pissing up that tree, are you?

4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Ukrainian strike devastates central Russian ammunition depot in Voronezh (msn.com)

As a result of an operation conducted by the Main Directorate of Intelligence of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine, a large ammunition depot belonging to the Russian "West" group, located near the city of Ostrogorsk in the Voronezh region, was destroyed.

According to the Defence Express service, the attack on the depot occurred on August 24 and resulted in a detonation. The depot stored approximately 5,000 US tons of ammunition, including artillery shells, tank rounds, anti-aircraft missiles, and small arms ammunition.

• Like Like x 3
  5. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    For some of these Russian women, this invasion is giving them the opportunity to see real men for the first time.

If you are quoting Twitter as the source of your information, you are in real trouble credibility-wise. It is the home of more unsubstantiated nonsense than I thought possible.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. enviroGator

enviroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    That is pretty funny... but the Wild Wild West days of Wikipedia are pretty much over. Most of what you find there now days is well sourced and the content gets reviewed before it goes live.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Drudge Report has an article saying the Ukrainian’s have opened a second front in their counter invasion. Perhaps Putin’s original lie about the threat of Ukraine is coming true.

9. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Institute for the Study of War

Just map update - always good to check. There are some rumors out there that Ukraine has invaded Belgorod, but no real details right now.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The fish rots from the head

11. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Yeah, Russia is doing great. It's proud citizens are answering the call (if by proud citizens we mean murderers that are released to fight and and then rape/murder again).
    Class act, the putin pumpers must be proud.

Russian woman's killer released for second time to fight in Ukraine

A Russian murderer who was released from prison to fight in the war in Ukraine, only to then kill an elderly woman, has been released a second time to return to the front, according to relatives of the woman.
    “Grandma’s killer has escaped punishment for his crime – again – and has gone to fight in the war,” Anna Pekareva, the granddaughter of Yulia Byuskikh, told the BBC.
    In April this year, 29-year-old Rossomakhin was found guilty of Yulia’s rape and murder and sentenced to 22 years in a high-security prison, later increased to 23 years. The court noted that the killing "involved extreme brutality".

But Anna says the prison governor has now notified the family that Rossomakhin was released on 19 August – just one week after the start of his sentence.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I know, but a few of the posters on here seem to pay attention to him, and them seem to possibly be salvageable as far as understanding why this war is important to the U.S. and the free world.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Ukraine's F-16's have received some U.S. Air Force updates to help them counter the threat from Russian electronic warfare.

A US Air Force squadron tinkered with the electronic warfare systems on Ukraine's new F-16s so they could fight evolving Russian threats

• Like Like x 4
  14. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    A new chapter begins. It is official: F-16's have now been used in offensive combat over Russia. Doesn't sound like any of them have been shot down. It does sound like they were a part of a massive attack on Russian infrastructure. Hooray for Ukraine!

Ukrainian pilots fly F-16 warplanes in combat for first time in fight against Russia

• Like Like x 8
  15. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I was involved in putting in 5 miles of JP-8 Jet Fuel Containment pipe lines at Eglin AFB when the F-16's were first line fighters.
    (Mid/late 90's) Eglin had and still has a Tactical Wing stationed there.

Got to watch them take off and land all day long, every day, worked in the hydrant fuel pits too. Got to rap with the pilots all the time
    and the mechanics.

Eglin converted from using fuel trucks from tanks to direct pipe lines, right up to the tarmac / fueling pits.
    They had an amazing SS swiveling device they could plug right into the F-16s / other aircraft from the Hydrant Pits.

It was near my parents home near Crestview. Home office for me was in Chicago and I "volunteered" for the duty (LOL)
    Worked that project for two years. It was awesome.

Not only that, I worked by A-10's, and coolest of all, the 747 with the Space Shuttle landed and hung out a few days.
    My construction trailer was closest to where they parked the shuttle.

Off subject but I love our F-16s and hope they kick Ski ASS!

• Like Like x 9
  16. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Hope we get some FLIR footage soon. Air-to-ground or air-to-air. I'll take either.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. cron78

cron78 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2022
    I’ll call your off topic and raise you one. I’ve taken one flight out of VPS, which shares a runway with Elgin AFB. Our commercial flight taxied out to take off when the captain came on the intercom to tell us we had to yield to an Air Force user. We sat at the end of the taxiway and waited about two minutes before a pair of F-16s zipped by in front of us landing. It was pretty cool. Now back to your regularly scheduled entertainment.

• Like Like x 2
  18. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Did the SS swivel device have a pair of elbows connected to each other that swiveled at the connection?

19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    better late than never but damn, this story should have been written a year ago

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    tick, tick, tick...

Fear of attack on Crimean Bridge driving exodus, Zelenskyy's representative in Crimea says (msn.com)

Chystikov noted that the Russian occupation administration fears the potential destruction of the Crimean Bridge, stemming in part from statements by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and Ukrainian military leadership. The local population is also aware of these concerns and has started fleeing the peninsula, Chystikov said.

“People are experiencing issues with the Crimean Bridge: we see this in the number of traffic jams we’ve observed over the past two weeks — specifically toward Taman from Kerch,” said Chystikov.

He pointed out that, previously, traffic jams were artificially created due to inspections before the Crimean Bridge, giving the impression of a large number of vacationers heading to Crimea.“Now we see that, throughout the day, 600 to 1,000 vehicles are stuck in traffic jams heading toward the Russian Federation,” Shystikov added.

“And this has been going on for more than two weeks. So, based on this, we understand that they realize [the possibility of the bridge being destroyed]. Additionally, I’ve been seeing information on Telegram channels for three days now about a significant amount of material gathered in Odesa that could strike the Crimean Bridge. Therefore, an attack from Ukraine is expected in the coming days.”

• Like Like x 2