Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Historically no it isn’t unusual, but not in their lifetimes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Have to go back to 1846. Some might argue 1814. Others 1864. But it was 1846.

Edit: In before anyone mentions Pancho Villa in 1916, I would argue that was banditry, not foreign troops.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    they could just close the valves in Ukraine. The fact that Russian gas is still flowing through Ukraine to Europe is dumbfounding to me

4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Russia Map Shows Over 130 Square Miles Now Under Ukraine's Control (msn.com)

Ukrainian forces have penetrated at least two Russian defense lines and a stronghold in their incursion into the Kursk region. This is according to the Washington, D.C., think tank Institute for the Study of War (ISW) whose map outlines the latest state of play.

Clashes erupted on Tuesday in the region bordering Ukraine's northeastern Sumy region. While anti-Kremlin militia groups have previously launched cross-border raids into the border region of Belgorod, this incursion involves multiple Ukrainian units, including reportedly its elite 22nd Mechanized Brigade and 82nd Air Assault Brigades.

The ISW said Wednesday that geolocated footage showed Ukrainian armored vehicles had advanced to positions just over six miles inside Russia's border, while Russian sources reported that 11 settlements had been captured.

Independent Russian news outlet Agentstvo posted its own map of the reported Ukrainian gains, which it said was almost identical to ISW map. "This area covers 350 sq km (130 square miles)" Agentstvo said—roughly the size of Philadelphia or Atlanta.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    So about an area twice the size of Gainesville in square miles.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    this stuck out to me. If they cut off the rail lines to supply Belgorod and capture 2 battalions...wow..good on them

reportedly taking the town of Sudzha, which is an important rail hub on the line that supplies Belgorod.

There is already the first "cauldron" in Suja: 2 battalions of the Russian army are surrounded, - russo-publics. According to preliminary information, these are the 17th Battalion of the 488th Regiment and the 31st Battalion of the 102nd Brigade.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    According to information from my acquaintances who take part in the operation to liberate the Kursk People's Republic, about 300 Russian soldiers were captured during the 2 days of the operation. The enemy is poorly motivated and has no combat experience. Surrender and you will return home alive!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">According to information from my acquaintances who take part in the operation to liberate the Kursk People&#39;s Republic, about 300 Russian soldiers were captured during the 2 days of the operation.<br><br>The enemy is poorly motivated and has no combat experience. Surrender and you will… <a href="x.com">pic.twitter.com/VfdiZBaQch</a></p>&mdash; Cloooud | (@GloOouD) <a href="">August 7, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Kinzinger with a sense of humor..I wish he would run for POTUS

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Russia should quickly cede their territory to Ukraine and negotiate to avoid needless bloodshed <a href="x.com">x.com</a></p>&mdash; Adam Kinzinger (Slava Ukraini) (@AdamKinzinger) <a href="">August 8, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes, historically. This has to be shocking and embarrassing for Putin and Russia. Having any foreign force on their territory in the present day.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    If true and Russia is ceding airspace and not challenging, that is big news. Wonder if Russia is worried that they would be embarrassed if they challenged the f-16's

Ukraine F-16s Spotted Over Russia Controlled Kherson: Report (msn.com)

Ukrainian F-16 fighter jets have been spotted along the frontline in the country's southern Kherson region, according to a Russia-installed official.

The fourth-generation jets, provided by the West in recent weeks, were seen over the Ukrainian settlement of Kakhovka in the past two days, Pavlo Filipchuk, the Russian-backed head of the southern district, said on Thursday.

• Like Like x 2
  11. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I haven't read too much about Ukraine's strike into Russia, but I would guess more of a raid than a permanent thing. That being said, it is embarrassing as hell and it brings this old cold war sailor great joy.

Steve Rosenberg: Ukraine's incursion shows Russia's war is not going to plan

Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine was conceived in the Kremlin as a short, sharp military operation.

The expectation was that it would take a matter of days, a few weeks maximum, for Russia to establish control over its neighbour.

That was nearly two-and-a-half years ago.

The war in Ukraine rages on. It has not gone at all as Moscow had intended.

But here’s the thing. Over the last 29 months, so often we’ve heard senior Russian officials claiming that the operation is going “according to plan.”

President Vladimir Putin last said that in May, despite everything that had happened in the preceding two years: the heavy Russian casualties on the battlefield, the destruction of multiple Russian warships in the Black Sea, drone attacks deep inside Russia (even on the Kremlin itself), the shelling of Russian towns and villages near the Ukrainian border, the mutiny by Wagner mercenary fighters who had marched on Moscow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Ukraine has gained more territory in Russia than Russia has in Ukraine in 2024. Hilarious.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    The goal is to instill fear in Russian citizens, but I don’t think it’s going to work. The glaringly obvious issue is how are you going to instill fear with a surprise attack when you can’t make this sort of progress in your own territory? Wouldn’t the obvious fear tactic be an operation like this liberating a swath of Ukrainian territory? I think Russians (with the help of the Kremlin mouthpieces no less) are simply going to spin this as a cowardly surprise attack by a country that can’t make headway on their own turf. It seems counterintuitive at best, imo.

14. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    You’re reaching, man. Forget whatever short-term political gain you think you’ll get if Ukraine collapses, and remember that Russia losing is literally in everyone’s interest except for their own, the Chinese, and a few other bit players no one cares for like Iran.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    How long would a raid last if it had to be self-sustaining? A couple of weeks? If Ukraine gets a supply line established and functional does that mean they intend to stay for a while. But i have seen no mention of such at this point.

16. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    I get that, I just don't think this is going to move the needle. It is what it is.

17. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Talking strictly military terms here, nothing specific about this particular operation. According to our military's definition, a raid is "a surprise attack against a position or installation for a specific purpose other than seizing and holding the terrain. It is conducted to destroy a position or installation, destroy or capture enemy soldiers or equipment, or free prisoners." There is no specified timeline. Some raids can last only a few hours, like the disastrous raid at Dieppe in 1942. Some can last weeks, like Nathan Bedford Forrest's raid into Kentucky in 1864. I think it all comes down to intent, which again we don't know yet. Everyone other than the highest authorities in Ukraine is merely speculating. Does Ukraine want to hold parts of Russia as a negotiating tool? I doubt it, but possible. Is Ukraine merely trying to get the Russians to redeploy significant forces to the area and plan to withdraw before being decisively engaged? More likely, but honestly no idea.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    • Like Like x 1
  19. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
  20. okeechobee