Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Btw, forgot to post this, but we spent more on rebuilding Afghanistan than on the Marshall Plan, for disastrous results:

Why the US Spent More on Afghanistan Than on the Marshall Plan

^^^this is the lens through which future *Marshall plan* like plans, will be analyzed, and we've already gotten a taste of such demand for accountability (DFA) during the war. That DFA will hardly subside when the urgency of war is no longer pressing.

The sale for rebuild will have to be made thoroughly and convincingly. It will absolutely NOT be automatic, based on prior *Marshall Plan* successes.

2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    Russia says US is responsible for deadly Ukrainian attack on Crimea

So Russia holds us “responsible” for a Ukrainian deep attack on Russian forces occupying Ukrainian territory, which was not remarkably different from attacks Russia regularly conducts on Kyiv, Kharkiv, etc. So I’m curious: since Russia hold us “responsible,” exactly what kind of “trouble” are we in with Russia? What are these masters of the art of war going to do us exactly?

3. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    &

Approx 6.5 million out of 44 million Ukies (14.7%)

Ukraine Refugee Crisis: Aid, Statistics and News | USA for UNHCR

vs

Approx 1 mil. Out of 144 million Ruskies (0.007%).

‘I no longer have a country’: Antiwar Russians who fled unlikely to return

Noting that the war is being waged in Ukraine and not Russia, and that Ukies have a lot more options.

Fwiw.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I appreciate your attempt to put coherent thoughts into a post, as misguided as you are. The truth is that Germany did not start WWII because of the onerous terms of the settlement of WWI. That is a myth that has been dispelled. By the late-20's, Germany had reduced payments to the other European countries, and stopped them in 1931, and the other countries did not say anything. By 1929, Germany's GDP was actually greater than it was in 1913. In other words, Germany had essentially fully recovered economically from WWI. So what created the conditions in Germany that gave rise to Hitler's rule? The Great Depression was not only a phenomena in the U.S.; it also affected our trading partners in Europe. Germany was hit especially hard (they were already in recession by the end of 1927). Fiscal mismanagement (they were afraid to spend money) had pushed Germany into deflation, because they were overly concerned about inflation. Hitler was in the right place at the right time to seize power in 1933 and convince people that he had the answers. The WWI settlement was just something that Hitler pushed on the German people to get them angry about the rest of Europe; it was largely an excuse.

The primary reason that the U.S. initiated the Marshall Plan in Germany is that we needed a healthy Germany to counter Russia. FDR was fairly blind to the dangers of Russia throughout the war, but Eisenhower, Truman, and others were not. In a sense, the world is very fortunate that FDR died just before the end of the war. The Marshall Plan had very little to do with the WWI settlement or any fear of Germany rising again and starting another war.

Maybe you could take notes on how long the U.S. has known that the Russians (Soviets) were not a trustworthy nation.

Economic history of Germany - Wikipedia.

How the Treaty of Versailles and German Guilt Led to World War II | HISTORY

Post-war Economies (Germany) | International Encyclopedia of the First World War (WW1)

We lost Afghanistan to the Taliban in the 1990's. They won our "war" with the Soviets for us, and we showed them no gratitude. George Bush, Sr., making the biggest mistake of his political life, chose not to spend any political or financial capital on rebuilding Afghanistan, even though the cities were destroyed and the people were starving. We literally spent nothing on the country (spending money 20 years later did not do any good). (The leader of Afghanistan for the first couple of years was a pro-American engineer named Mahmoud; he was killed by a journalist with a gun concealed in his camera, something the KGB were experts at assembling.) What do people turn to when they are starving and living in squalor? Religion. What religion was available to the Afghans? Islam. Who did they have in their country who was used to organizing violent attacks against an enemy? Osama bin Laden. Bin Laden decided that the U.S., with its lack of gratitude, empathy, or charity towards the Afghans in their hour of need, would make a nice new enemy.

We did not exit Afghanistan with our tails between our legs. We decided that we could not win a "war" against a group of fighters that did not follow the Geneva Conventions, that hid in caves, and that killed people who cooperated with the U.S. Your hero Trump created the plan for the U.S.'s "tail 'tween our legs' withdrawal, and Biden followed through with it. The U.S. made some major mistakes in Afghanistan throughout the years, including: providing ammunition to the enemy (through Pakistan); allowing Afghan spies to serve in U.S. Forward Operating Bases; allowing the Taliban to provide security to U.S. road-building and school-building projects in country; allowing Osama bin Laden and his deputies to escape Afghanistan by airplane in the first week of the war (to avoid killing Pakistani generals who were consulting with bin Laden); and not properly supplying F.O.B.'s with things like drinking water and ammunition.
    Starvation creates the necessary conditions for desperation, and desperation can often lead to violence. That happened in Afghanistan, and it happened again in Syria and Libya. In Afghanistan, it led to 9-11. There was a severe drought in the middle east the year of the Arab Spring, and people started starving and protesting. The government put down the protests, and the violence started. You never know what society will devolve to (or which parts of the world it would affect) when people start starving, but it is best for all concerned to not let the starvation happen in the first place. And that is one reason that Russia must not be allowed to win in Ukraine, as Ukraine is known as the world's breadbasket, and Russia is known for weaponizing anything that they can get their hands on.

I usually do not spell out my arguments in great detail, as I assume the reader can figure out a few things on their own, but this one time, I will make an exception. I assume that you will consider yourself educated on this matter, and not get hysterical and angry.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    And as I understand it, a goodly portion of the reported one million that left Russia, at the beginning of the conflict, have quietly come slinking back.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    It's worth very little. Citing refugee figures means that you are including elderly people, who are very unlikely to do much good in a war. Since the war is largely being fought in Ukraine, almost all of the elderly refugees from the war will be Ukrainian.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    As I understand it, a goodly portion of propaganda peddlers who left this website, when proven wrong about various issues, have quietly come slinking back (and are telling more lies).

Nice job of avoiding any quotation of a reputable source, Lee Harvey. I think we can assume that you made up this "fact" or are repeating a rumor from a Kremlin blogger.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Unconfirmed, but wow if true.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    1. I didn't say Germany started WWII due to conditions from WWI--I said the conditions in the wake of WWI permitted/ facilitated the 3rd Reich to take hold and flourish. Obviously if their economy remained screwed as under the Wmar Rep, they would never have been able to build up the forces they waged WWII with.
    Germany's GDP leading up to WWII, is meaningless. That's like pointing to the Soviet nuclear build up, and saying that was due to their economy being in the shitter during WWII;

2. I said part of the plan was to prevent western Europe from going Soviet commie--so yeah, whatever to your links saying what I already said.

3. Re. Afghanistan--you can't possibly be serious. Our lack of rebuild effort did not drive them to Islam--Afghanistan had been Islamic going back to the turn of the 11th century. They've been all in on Mohammed for longer than the US, communism, and protestants combined, have existed. Don't lay that shit on us. (Note--the mojahideen with whom we worked, there before us, were Islamic).

4. Why do you think the Soviets sought to invade Afghanistan in the first place? It was the poply seed and the opium trade it feeds--not it's industrial base, strategic location, fertility of its mountain (lol!).... nope. The drug trade, the money it represented, and the corrosive effect its deployment on western adversaries it could yield (NOTE: AS THE CHICOMS ARE DOING TO US WITH FENTY, THROUGH OUR SOUTHERN BORDER). We can't control our on drug trade, or our neighbor's cartels, but by pissing billions of dollars we don't have into Afghanistan, you suppose we could control Afghanistan's???

[Repeat unicorn rancher refrain here].

5. Finally, wrt to Afghanistan, you dismiss the abject failure of our attempt at nation building in Afghanistan beginning 2008 and ending [NM the circumstances--pointless to quibble over though we disgree about them, bc the only salient point is that the net result = ABJECT FAILURE) in '21...and point to when we didn't bother pissing in the wind in the 90's, as to why we ought to in Ukraine... Bro. work on your basic logic.

(You kinda have to negotiate the failure of 2008-21 efforts in Afghanistan, b4 invoking the failure of non efforts b4 that ('90's), as somehow being a compelling precedent).

I'll address your fundamentally flawed analysis of Ukraine in next post, based on your *funny* reply to mine.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    6.5 million ppl, and you figure they were mostly elderly. Because elder folks are more inclined to uproot????

....to avoid war and conscription????

Elderly are more likely than the educated class to leave, to seek better employment opportunities than sticking around in a collapsing economy while bombs are dropping all about??? Sure....no brain drain. I just made that shit up. It was just senile elderly types what bailed...

Lol! You harbor an even more colorful unicorn view of the elderly than you do of Ukraine's future...

Btw, I believe it was the NYT (perhaps WSJ), ran a story on its cover just today, about the shear volume of war age men dodging the draft in Ukraine.

Perhaps it's Ukraine's definition of 'war age' as up to 60 years old, that has you thinking of the elderly, as basically John Rambo in Last Blood...

(Which would be about as accurate to truth).

Last edited: Jun 24, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Here you go, Jack Ruby …

Mapping The World's Refugee Population | ZeroHedge

12. cron78

cron78 GC Legend

Feb 25, 2022
    What is that pic? Surely Russia wouldn’t have such a permanent looking tracking station in Crimea. What would be the advantage of such a facility not being in Russia?

13. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Crimea is Russia.

Aside: it was out of use for years but recently put under space command, whatever that means.

14. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Fact Check: by all appearances

15. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022

16. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Just responding to this one statement, and as already posted above, the myth of the “harsh terms” causing Germany bankruptcy as a State was nothing more than Nazi propaganda. There was no factual, reality predicate to the claim. Hitler was forever angry Germany surrendered, and couples with the worldwide depression, he used the negotiated terms as a pretext to rile German citizens into ferocious nationalism.

17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. cron78

cron78 GC Legend

Feb 25, 2022
    Oh. I was considering it as occupied Ukraine. I might need to brush up on my Crimean history.

19. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Russian media has a few darlings that like to go on the air demanding Emperor Putin, fire a few tacticle nukes Ukraine and NATO's way.
    I know their faces but the names are unspellable for me.

I always have to SMH when Russia bitches about Ukranian drones striking inside of Russia. This while 20 - 25% of Ukraine has been completely destroyed
    not to mention the everyday Russian missles hitting civilian buildings and power infrastructure.

But, hey, this is an immensely successful war according to the Kremlin. Seems to have drug out longer than that estimated 4 - 6 weeks though.