Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Hey Slay, noticed anything about the conflict since the weapons package was released?
    Suddenly Russian offenses are stopping in their tracks, and in several cases retreating.

In fact Ukraine is going on limited local offenses in certain areas.

Karkiv looks like it's going Kiev part deau.

Bases and Oil Refineries being hit in Crimea and Russia itself within that "boundary area".

The Russian Navy is ................ well being the Russian navy, Tin Cans just waiting to be sunk by incompetent
    leadership.

All Ukraine needs is a little help from their friends. 27-1/2 months in, Ukraine has demonstrated time and again they
    are more than up to the challange if provided enough weapons and shells. The Russian "myth" of invincability has been shattered
    beyond repair. Two + Years, Hundreds of Thopusands of casulties, thousands of destroyed armored units and artillery systems.

I am not a supporter of war at all, but I imagine even pro Russian supporters, give pause, to taking on NATO in a conventional
    conflict. They struggle mightily against 2nd and 3rd rate NATO weapons systems. Imagine professional Western armies with the latest gear?

I can't wait to see the F16s in Action and those are outdated now by Western standards.

Yep, ole Duggar and his crowd are just fawning all over themselves about the "mighty" Russian military. Stuck in place and dying by the thousands.

Lets add it up - Yes, Piss-tin has taken 20% of the country. The bill so far:
    How Many dead and wounded? The numbers seem staggering.
    How much equipment lost?
    How much treasure expended and how much energy income lost?
    Military Reputations ruined and military leadership made to look like green horn idiots.
    Attempted Coo by you know who.
    FINLAND in NATO, SWEDEN in NATO.

Poland and Germany ramping up Military capability big-time, as well as other NATO nations, military spending and preparedness no longer ignored but taken seriously.

Sure, Russia is not defeated, not by a long shot, but if the incoming American Administration continues to support NATO and the European nations continue to step up, this nightmare of Putinsis not going away.

• Like Like x 1
  2. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    More on how Ukraine was forced to fight this war with one hand tied behind its back, and how things are now looking up.

Kyiv’s wonder-weapons are decimating the Russian army (yahoo.com)

3. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    You may be especially excitable today. I didn’t say that Ukraine was out of missiles. Although it’s suppliers are bound to run short at some point.

4. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    This is what Putin’s up against …

5. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    I agree, the war has not gone well for Russia, AT ALL. But given the state of things, I doubt that Ukraine actually retakes control of most of that 20% that Russia still possesses.
    And if Russia does mobilize again, it will be hard for Ukraine to keep pace from a sheer manpower perspective.
    Lastly, Ukraine at this moment has only 6 months of guaranteed aid left - Trump won't send them ANYTHING if he wins.
    So despite how badly things have gone for Russia, relative to how we thought it would go, they still have a very realistic shot at winning this thing next year if a few things roll their way in the next cycle of elections.
    So there is still a lot of time for Russia to turn this around - and if they win in Ukraine, all of those losses will soon be forgotten as to the victor go the spoils.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I heard on the radio that Biden is signing a 10 year aid deal with Ukraine to circumvent Trump cutting off aid if he is elected.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    France looks to send 1990's-era Mirage 2000-5 fighter jets with MICA missiles to Ukraine.

France Is Sending Sophisticated Fighter Jets to Ukraine. Will They Crush Russian Air Dominance? (yahoo.com)

8. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    That would be amazing. I don't understand the laws around that though - I'm sure there would be some way for Trump to eff with it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    This is Biden’s safeguard against the possibility Trump will prevail upon Putin to ensure that Ukraine won’t have to open a wax museum commemorating the Last Ukrainian Male.

10. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Your illiteracy and reading comprehension seems especially out-of-control today, Lee Harvey. I never said that Ukraine was out of missiles, either. I simply said that they were short on missiles (as they were on most forms of needed ammunition), which is (or was) true.

11. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    10 years, eh? That sort of bucks the "Russia is on the precipice of defeat" narrative if Ukraine need another 10 years of aid.

12. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    I've looked back a few pages and I guess I'm confused. Who has said that Russia is on the precipice of defeat? Did I miss a post somewhere?

13. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    In which case my point stands and needn’t have been prattled about, Jack Ruby.

14. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Maybe I confused that with "Russia needs another mobilization to keep up" as they conquer village after village in Ukraine. I suppose in some far away galaxy it's possible that those two sentiments have totally opposite meanings, so forgive me.

15. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Not only is Kharkov not Kyiv 2.0, Kyiv wasn’t even true. But to Kharkov …

16. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    Ok - village after village? Let me know how far they have advanced and how much further they have to go and how many soldiers they've lost doing it, and then tell me they can make it all the way to Kyiv without further mobilization...

17. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Obviously, Putin is a much bigger loser than any of the European leaders (or Biden, for that matter). The important thing to come out of the Ukraine War is that history regards Putin and his worshippers (I'm looking at you, Lee Harvey) as the biggest losers of the 21st Century.

18. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Only five Abrams reported destroyed so far (as reported by credible sources). In fact, Ukraine has been busy fitting the remaining Abrams tanks with cope cages to defeat drones. So far, seven have been fitted.

It is unlikely that a couple dozen tanks would be a decisive factor in this war, regardless of how good they are (or how much better than the other side's tanks they are). So for Abrams tanks to be a "wonder weapon" for Ukraine, the U.S. would have to supply hundreds of them. It appears that they were sent as a token gesture to persuade Europe to send more of their Leopard tanks.

And again, to reiterate the failure of Russian tanks to compete with western tanks, about 5-6,000 Russian tanks have been destroyed compared to a few dozen western tanks. Eat it, Lee Harvey--your tanks suck.

The Bradleys were sent in significant numbers, and their performance has been close to being that of a "wonder weapon". Ukraine's troops believe it is much more survivable in a fight than the Russian equivalent, and that seems to be the case based on anecdotal stories.

US-made Abrams tanks are fighting a dangerous new kind of war, but Ukrainians are building unusual armor to help them survive it (yahoo.com)

19. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I don't actually read his posts, I think he links a lot of stuff from 'simpleton' or something like that with a pic of Putin. Seems like a great source. :)
    From your quote though I see he is addressing what Putin is up against. What Putin is up against is a population 3x smaller with a substantially smaller gdp, and Putin can't get the job done. What an incredible embarrassment for Russia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    In a perfect world, I would consider a short-term lease to limit liability.

But back to Ukraine.

• Funny Funny x 2