Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. vegasfox

vegasfox GC Hall of Fame

Feb 4, 2024
    So we're heading towards 1,000,000 Ukrainians killed in this war that was instigated by the Biden administration. Ukrainians we're just a tool used to "degrade Russia." Who:s really more degraded, the US or Russia?

2. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    The U.S. is becoming isolated …

3. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Evil Putin refuses to be interviewed by young female reporter until she’s blinded …

4. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Zelenskyy stated today in an interview with the Guardian that Russia is advancing quickly on the northern front. Therefore, he's obviously part of the GRU now.

5. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Channels his KGB roots by asking her how long she's been in Moscow and what she has been up to since arriving in Moscow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Berlin lets Ukraine use German weapons against targets in Russia after the US also eases its stance

Moscow blustering about NATO being drawn into the war, but since things are actually going better for them on the front now, I doubt seriously they want to draw NATO any further into the conflict than they already are. But certainly, this hurts their ability to operate around Kharkiv, because they've just been calmly lining up and crossing the border. They can't do that as much any more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Just so I’m clear, you’re back to predicting Russian victory, right?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    In Ukraine? What defines a “Russian victory”? I don’t see a scenario where Crimea, Lugansk and Donetsk become part of Ukraine again.

9. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Russia making solid advances across the entire front line. The Ukrainians are on their heels everywhere. Russia have definitely switched to a more offensive strategy. I always feared what could happen if they entrench in the Donbas and fortify the hell out of it. Then, re-focus on offensive operations. It does appear that is taking place.

10. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    I've read recently that NATO no longer has enough air defense outside of Ukraine to protect the east from direct Russian attacks. Between that and the Estonian PM saying they have no plan B if Russia actually manages to defeat Ukraine, and i think you're starting to see more and more signs that at least a contingent of NATO, but especially in Europe, is starting to say the quiet part out-loud. That they can't allow Ukraine to lose. Russia has taken about 750 square KM in 2024, so at that rate, they still have time to dither, but you have to wonder if Russia starts to push into territory Ukraine reclaimed in the big counter (like Kherson, Kharkiv, etc.) if NATO and/or Europe will just sit there and let it happen. I wonder what the red line is.

11. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Russia warns of nuclear war with NATO after Ukraine's ATACMS strikes: 'We're not bluffing' (msn.com)

Dumbass Medvedev's latest nuclear threat:

Uh, yeah, it is. Medvedev may be too dumb to know what the score is, but Putin is not. Nuclear war is very bad for the planet, but it is existential for Russia. And the whole point of this war is not to end Russia as a civilization. If you want Ukraine to stop hitting inside of Russia, then leave Ukraine. The attacks will stop immediately.

12. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    It's debatable whether NATO would use nukes if the Russians dropped a couple of tactical nukes in east Ukraine. So, I don't think it's completely off the table and that we've made mistakes not listening to what other world leaders were saying in the past. Perhaps NATO drops a couple of their own tacticals in areas uninhabited just to make the point, but I am not convinced NATO would launch a true retaliatory attack under those circumstances and the Russians may be banking on that. Naturally, the retaliation would risk further escalation to the inevitable MAD.

13. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    We apparently leaned on china and India to get them to further discourage Russia from using nukes.

14. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    The use of tactical nukes would for sure bring nato into the war.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I get the impression that Putin is genuinely flummoxed that the West seems impervious to the knowledge that he’s sitting on top of the largest nuke arsenal in the world.

I suspect the West simply does not believe he will ever use them.

I for one hope they’re right. Especially since I keep hearing that there would never be tit-for-tat nukes, that it would be all or nothing.

16. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Russia getting serious …

17. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I agree that it was bad and inexcusable, but, no, you’re not going to be able tie a Russian victory six months or a year from now to that delay. Russia has already gotten whatever advantage they were going to get out of that delay, and frankly they either weren’t able to exploit it properly or they just failed to. We need to do the military thing here, which is focusing on how to defeat Russia from this point, not the political thing, which is focusing more on fixing the blame on someone else for why we can’t do our job now.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Utter nonsense about the six month delay giving the Russians a leg up. Weapons never stopped coming. The problem is that weapons don’t make a difference when you’re running out of people to use them.

20. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    One reason why the war has lasted longer than practically anyone predicted: takes a long time to kill a million people this way …