Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Sunk costs point to WWIII in it to win it!

There are two classic propaganda narratives used by governments when it comes to keeping the public invested in any war campaign that does nothing to advance their national interests:

• First, there’s the “commitment” lie, which says that once you step in to support a war effort you then must stay exponentially committed, even if that war effort is exposed as pointless. Anytime the public pulls back from that war in a bid to reconsider what purpose it serves they are ridiculed for potentially “risking lives” and setting the stage for defeat. In other words, you must support the effort blindly. You’re not allowed to examine the conflict rationally, because who wants to be blamed for losing a war?

• Second, there’s the “domino effect” lie, which says that if you allow a particular “enemy” to win in one conflict, they will automatically be emboldened to invade other countries until they own the entire planet. It’s the same claim used to trick the American populace into supporting the war in Vietnam and it rarely turns out to be true. In fact, nations that engage in regional wars tend to be so weakened by the fighting that they don’t have the means to move on to another country even if they wanted to. Russia Is About To Overrun Ukraine's Defenses - Why Are There No Peace Negotiations? - Alt-Market.us

2. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Surely, you jest. If we let Ukraine go to neutral status, that will inevitably embolden Russia to invade Estonia and start WW3 with NATO.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Point Two in article.

4. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    So, you're already brushing up on your Russian?

5. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I expect to be speaking it tomorrow!

Aside: my wife and I hosted a Russian exchange student years ago. When sent him back when he tried to take over the neighborhood.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    I was thinking about going the Au Pair route.. you know about 20 years old...female... I'm sure the wife would be okay with it.

7. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    1740 dead Russian combatants is a good day. They need to build on that every day. I'm also coming around to the idea that more of this war needs to be brought to Russia itself. Taking out oil refineries is effective, but that is almost another economic sanction...raising the price of gasoline. Start taking out power stations and other infrastructure....only where there are military assets, of course.;) Let some large swaths of their civilian population sit in the dark without heat. If they are on board with their war criminal dictator's actions in Ukraine, they bear some responsibility for those war crimes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    1,740 Russian dead from the same source that reported that Russia was genociding Ukraine by firing multi-million dollar precision guided missiles at apartment buildings killing two people at a time.

9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    Of course, you never know how accurate those figures are. Ukraine exaggerates (not necessarily on purpose; I think they believe it) its estimates of enemy casualties. And the Russians deliberately and to a laughable degree minimize their reported casualties. A good rule of thumb is, halve what the Ukrainians say, triple what the Russians say, then pick a number right in between those two figures.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    LOL, our resident source of misinformation complaining about sources. That's rich, thanks for the chuckle.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    How to speak Ukrainian …

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Just a reminder that, between the two of us, I’m not the one who’s cheerleading for this …

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. vegasfox

vegasfox GC Legend

Feb 4, 2024
    Russia has the most respected diplomat in the world: Lavrov. America has a third-,rate morin for Sec. if State

14. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Nero fiddling while Ukraine burns …

15. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Mentally ill.

There is a very special place for you. You'll love it, no Siberian winters.

16. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Says the poster who laughs at an elderly woman separated from her family - by glass - in the twilight of her life.

Spare me your faux indignation.

17. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Jake Broe, a USAF veteran, is a well known YouTuber who closely follows and reports on the Ukraine War. He is donating his 40th birthday to the Ukraine war effort and is raising money to buy specially equipped trucks for their front line troops combat operations. His initial goal was $40,000 to buy two trucks. He has now raised over $757,000+, enough to buy 37 trucks.

He has done a lot to raise support for Ukraine since they were invaded and this deserves our support. You will be directly supporting the 46th Airmobile Brigrade.

I contributed when he first announced this and I'm encouraging you to do so, as well. Support Ukraine, help them kill Russian invaders and piss Dugger off. Win, Win and WIN.

Jake Broe – NAFO Birthday Party!

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. The indignation is not faux, it is very real. You are a waste of oxygen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Then hold your breath around me or just go away.