Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    I don't think anyone is disputing that. An A-10 loadout has about 18 seconds of firing time on the burp gun. That's what, 10 attack runs? I don't think the US has enough A-10s in our arsenal to take out a 40 mile convoy...

2. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    The site I found said they were later updated to a fixed 3900 rounds per minute.

3. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just get the fuel trucks, make the rest of the convoy sitting ducks when they run out of fuel.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    OT: I live close enough to Moody AFB and it's bombing range that I can hear the BRRRTTTT all the time. They constantly fly directly over my house on what seems to be a daily basis. Seems to be more activity in the past few days. I would definitely not want to be on the business end of those guys.

Not too long ago, one of them had to make an emergency wheels-up landing.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 4
  5. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    So around 30 seconds of BBRRTTTT. I'm surprised the Air Force paid anything to update that air frame. The Air Force brass hates the A-10 but they cannot get rid of it because the Army and Marine Corps love it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Caption that photo:

Good afternoon, sir - I'd like to report a death of a military pilot's career.

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    The close air support makes it invaluable to our overall military. Air Force should suck it up, everything can't be dog fighting and bombing missions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    A similar strategy will probably be employed using the Javelin missiles i.e. taking out enough vehicles to slow down or stop the convoy. There is also the real possibility that Russian vehicles may be forced to use roads because the ground is too soft to support heavy military vehicles like tanks, APCs, self-propelled artillery, etc. This article was written before the invasion and was based on speculation but what it suggested may be happening now in real time.
    Mud could complicate possible Russian plans for an invasion of Ukraine, US officials say

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    oops, I hope it was a landing gear malfunction, and not the pilot forgetting to put the gear down.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Blow the road up they're riding on first (and/or barricade it was whatever crap you can get on there, and light it up with molotov cocktails or other incindiaries...), would seem the logical first step.

Especially in light of this:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
  11. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Don’t have to. Take out the first 40 vehicles in the convoy and create a 1/4 mile of burning metal roadblock and you render the rest stationary Targets and effectively useless. Seems he is making it too easy of a target so he can tempt nato into an air strike then he justify the next escalation

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Yeah, he declared an in-flight emergency before approaching the runway.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

I wasn’t impressed with our Afghanistan withdrawal under Biden.

But realize he depended on his military advisers to set it up.

Yes, he’s ultimately responsible but limited in his knowledge of how that type of stuff works.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    How much of the a10’s continued support is politically motivated and living in the past? It was designed to support soldiers in Vietnam 50 yrs ago against an enemy much less capable than today. Is it obsolete and misallocation of resources?

15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  16. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    It was more than unimpressive, but we don't need to elaborate beyond that, here or now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    It is still one of the best fixed wing Close Air Support platforms in the inventory. In a low AA threat environment, it is probably the preferred fixed wing platform for most JTACs/FACs. The issue is that doesn't really have a role in the project combat environment of the future and the Air Force wants to spend the dollars allocated for the A-10 on platforms that have a role. The issue is that last couple conflicts we have been in, the A-10 was still extremely valuable and the Air Force was force to extend it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Your post overall is entirely reasonable.

But as far as this one line as to “what depths Americans will sink to”, i think the past 6+ years has proven you can’t give anyone this credit. Yes, some of them were actually “rootin for Putin” right at the start of this. They had no shame. Perhaps only changing tune because they now see Putin getting bogged down and having to basically commit atrocities, rather than rolling right in. Even the really sick ones have to at least pretend they aren’t ok with that. Yet I bet it doesn’t deter them one bit from trying to “hack” our democracy for one party rule. Setting up the table for our very own Putin (or Putin aligned criminal).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Well, this is a message board, and as such, folks can be really loose about what they post--I know I am. Huge margin of error, and we're in a sense, among friends, such that no matter how outlandish a post may be, sufficient familiarity with a poster, and the presumptive fact that they're a Gator, tends to lend a grain of salt with which everything is taken.

for e.g.:

Pretty sure you don't actually believe any of our fellow Gators would actually seek to 'hack' or democracy, and actually seek to have our own Putin, right?

;)

20. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    "But the official added that the Russian convoy has made “no appreciable movement” towards Kyiv, and soldiers are running out of food. The official said there is “no reason to doubt” reports that Russian soldiers are also punching holes in their own fuel tanks to stop their vehicles advancing."

Fox News' Jennifer Griffin contributed to this report.

Interesting report, I hope it is true.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2