Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ukraine may have accidentally bumped off Russian Chief of General Staff Valery Gerasimov in Crimea. They seem to think he was in the target area, but cannot confirm if he was killed or not. It's hard to say if this is good or not, as Russian military leadership has been dreadful during this war, and replacing the top boss might lead to an accidental discovery of someone with talent for military decision-making. Gerasimov was wounded on May 1 of last year.

HUR cannot confirm Gerasimov's elimination in recent Ukrainian attack on occupied Crimea

• Like Like x 1
  2. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Biden is responsible for maintaining pressure on Congress, and making addresses to the nation to persuade them of the case for aid to Ukraine. When his State Dept. makes statements like this, it looks like Biden is throwing his hands up and giving up. He's the president. No matter how foolish or idiotic Congress gets, he needs to keep fighting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Which *argument* are you referring to here?

The one I didn't make b/c I declined to elaborate, which does not require specialized military knowledge, or the *opinion* I hold, wrt the the F-16's potential impact on future R&D aircraft projects?

No need to answer. The question is rhetorical, and I'm not really interested in your opinions about mine.

Feel free to return to your blue and yeller pom poms...

4. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Only if the President secretly wants to wrap this up and lay political blame at the Republicans feet. And I am not asserting that is the case (and hope it isn’t). I was responding to an earlier post that the State Department was quietly washing its hands of Ukraine.

5. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I agree there’s nothing you can do about politicians like the one you quoted. Just like there’s nothing you can do about the far-left politicians who would not agree to ramp up petroleum production even if you could demonstrate how this would cripple Russia’s economy worse than any other sanctions have to date. Negotiations, for the issue at hand, need to be centered on peeling off the reasonable people who truly value Ukraine (above the political BS of wanting to hurt the President) but view the situation at the border as being an alligator closer to the boat.

6. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  7. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Nobody at the rudder for a week ?

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  8. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Russian troops are afraid of the Bradley Fighting Vehicle, according to Ukraine. The armor will survive a hit by a Russian grad rocket, and the 25mm chain gun is lethal on armored columns. (Wait till they start going up against the Abrams.) The Bradley is also good at knocking tanks out of service, with one dispatching two T-72 tanks with its TOW missiles. They also claim that the visibility at night is even better than it is during the day.

A total of 186 Bradleys were sent to Ukraine, and 63 have been destroyed, damaged or captured (many will be returned to service after being repaired).

Russian soldiers fear going up against the US Bradley infantry fighting vehicle

I say, send more Bradleys over there.

• Like Like x 3
  9. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    You do know that modern ships are steered by someone at "the wheel", don't you? If someone is manning the rudder, they're doing it wrong.

That's o.k., we know that there's nobody at the rudder when you make juvenile, pointless posts.

And for crying out loud, stay out of Bass Pro Shop aquariums! No one was amused.

Alabama man accused of stripping, jumping naked into Bass Pro Shop aquarium: Reports

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 3
  10. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Dec. 26, 2023
    Jan. 1, 2024
    According to you (on Post 22550, Dec. 26, 2023), there were 38,000 Russians killed in Ukraine, according to Mediazona. Then, less than a week later, you quote the same outlet as saying there were 37,000 Russians killed in Ukraine. So, in only one week, Putin managed to revive 1,000 dead Russians. Well, either that, or you are just making up numbers as you go along or your sources are incompetent.

11. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Now for some serious news: Russia has apprehended the person responsible for torching an Su-34 fighter jet at Chelyabinsk Airbase. It is a 16-year-old Russian boy. Now there are rumors of gangs of 13-year-olds prowling about outside of Russian bases, and the Russian military is terrified. Putin is upset that, after all the trouble he's gone to in order to raise a nation of murderous barbarians, they respond with vandalism on Putin's military equipment. Where is the gratitude?

Russian media: 16-year-old Russian arrested for allegedly torching Su-34 jet at Chelyabinsk airbase

This kid is going places . . .

Maybe Putin will name a torture center after him.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
  12. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Brits claim that the Russian army is well on its way towards becoming a low quality, high quantity military. They are on schedule to lose 500k troops by the end of 2024.

Russia is on course to lose 500,000 troops by end of 2024, after turning its forces into a 'low quality, high quantity mass army,' says UK intel

Also, there is a reference to Russia using human (meat) wave tactics . . . Hmmm, where have I heard that before?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
  13. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Russia has lost so many of its air defense systems that it can no longer effectively defend Crimea from missiles and drones. Ukraine is attacking at will.

Ukrainian missiles and UAVs bypass Russian air defence and hit targets in Crimea – ISW

It is a shame that the Cowards of Congress have chosen to abandon Ukraine while Ukraine had a chance of winning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Ukraine destroys a key railroad bridge outside Mariupol. Russia is constructing a new railway to supply Mariupol from Russia. Russia's air defense systems were not able to intercept the missiles used to destroy the bridge, but did manage to give away their positions to Ukraine while trying. Logistics keeps getting harder for the Russians.

Ukrainian forces destroy key Russian bridge near Mariupol

• Like Like x 1
  15. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Somebody is using drones to spy on Ukrainians training in Germany. Hmmm, I wonder who that could be?

I'm actually surprised that the Germans do not have the technology to track down the people running these drones and arrest them.

Drones spotted over military training grounds in Germany where Ukrainians train

16. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Such a waste …

17. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022

18. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    like I said upthread, they must have killed someone important that preceded the massive missile barrages that followed shortly thereafter

19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    seems like they have been shaping the battlefield such that the f-16's would be able to get deeper penetration when they arrived. damn shame theya ren't there already to take advantage of the situation

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, your propaganda posts are a waste on many levels: waste of time for those reading them, waste of effort for those who fabricate them.