Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Hahahahahaha!!!!

Boy is that funny! Lol! LMAO!! EMOJI EMOJI EMOJI!!

BEST BOST EVER!

Ima have use that one... promise I'll give you credit...

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Seriously, your posts make no sense. Are you suggesting that the U.S. lured Russia into Ukraine or something? And the purpose was to make sure that Russia kept using the U.S. currency for oil trades? And Russia foolishly went along with it? And our goal before the war was to stab Russia? Or are you saying that all this is outdoor theater for the masses?

3. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Just like my suggestion that older aircraft doing well would not be the best thing for the USAF, or conversely, that a poor showing would be used as a selling point for newer ones... yeah, no sense.

Again, I'm holding my tongue.

= I'm purppsely declining to elaborate.

Make of that what you will.

4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Essay | Did Ukraine Miss an Early Chance to Negotiate Peace With Russia?

Interesting article in WSJ about the early peace talks that dissolved. A right wing narrative is that an equitable peace deal had been negotiated but the UK, via US influence, told Ukraine to pull the plug and continue the war.

Per the article it wasn’t that simple. Russia initially made a bunch of ridiculous demands. More palatable terms were explored but they were never really close to agreement. Then Ukraine and the world found out about Russian atrocities in a Ukrainian city as Russia retreated, killing, executing and torturing civilians, which enraged Ukrainians. Peace talks continued from afar, then Boris Johnson told Ukraine it is their call but the UK would back Ukraine with assistance if it wanted to continue fighting Russia.

Here is the article for those who are paywalled

https://archive.ph/pkSrc

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We did something similar during WWII at Normandy....Rupert paradummies.

What were Rupert parachute dummies?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    An act of kindness toward the other posters?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 4
  7. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    That does make a lot more sense than the pro-Russian narrative of “All Putin wanted was to show a little force then make the peace. But those warmongers in the West wouldn’t let him. Bless are the peacemakers like Putin!”

8. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I have already explained why your theory does not jive with the facts. Since those facts were not persuasive, consider this. For your theory to be plausible, the people advising the President — such as no-talent ass clown Jake Sullivan — would have to be proactive and strategic in their thinking, because the yield of a such a plan (replacement of aging but still functional planes with newer, more capable ones) would not be felt for months or even years. This Administration has not demonstrated an ability to do anything but react to Russia, slowly at that, and not to take any actions that would hurt in the short-term but have strategic value in the long-term by defeating Russia. They have not figured out how to turn on our war-time economy for maximizing production of food, petroleum, and munitions … but somehow they’re evil geniuses who have concocted a way to get Russia to destroy our old planes so we can build new ones. Seriously, that’s your theory?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    The Bradley has seemingly been extremely effective. I’ve been reading articles for months how well it’s performed. It’s fascinating as I remember during its production in late 80s the controversy regarding its cost and ineffectiveness.

We gave Ukraine older models and we literally have 1000s in inventory. And we’re working towards building a next gen AFV. Awful we can’t give them a 100 more but maga followers won’t let us help Ukraine defend themselves.

“The 25mm chain gun is "tearing apart Russian armored columns,"

“Even when one is hit, the crew has a high chance of survival, and Ukrainian troops can move around very easily in the vehicle, while at once having the notable firepower of the 25mm cannon, 7.62 mm coaxial machine gun plus two TOW anti-tank missile launchers.”

US Bradleys are killing it on Ukraine frontlines

Killing Russians By The Truckload Around Avdiivka, Ukraine’s M-2 Fighting Vehicles Are Showing How Russia Loses—And Ukraine Wins

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    I have a hunch that “ridiculous demands” were Russians long-standing concerns that the West pretended to understand while in the process of ignoring them.

11. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    “25mm machine gun tearing apart Russian armored columns.”

Source: some guy on Twitter’s google docs spreadsheets.

12. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I understand your position, respectfully disagree with it...and that's not my theory you caricatured at the end.

13. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    You know I agree that we should be doing a lot more for Ukraine, and I understand that the extreme right is a large part of the problem. But I don’t think insulting them is the answer (and I’m referring to the left wing, not you personally). It clearly isn’t working, and I just want the aid to flow. First, we have to find some healthy compromises on this border issue. Instead of whining that the issues are separate and being stubborn about negotiating, I say just give in a bit to peel off some the holdouts. You only need a simple majority. Second, the left has to address some of the right’s very valid concerns about oversight and corruption in Ukraine. Most of us who want Ukraine to succeed and Russia to fail can agree that all of the aid in the world isn’t going to matter if the lion’s share of it doesn’t get to the end user where it will be saving Ukrainians and killing Russians. This is another area where the left is the problem, because proper oversight means putting American personnel closer to harm’s way. You will have no shortage of volunteers climbing all over each other to get closer to the action. Those opposed need to set aside their hesitation in favor of the strategic goal.

PS — You are right about the Bradley. I’ve seen some of the footage they can’t show on TV. Satisfying and nauseating all at once. That AFV is definitely punching above its weight. I’ll be very interested to see what happens when the Abrams enters the fight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    There are plenty of articles, podcasts, 1st hand testimony, etc regarding their effectiveness. But yes I totally agree using bloggers on twitter is an unreliable source as China & Russia are known to promote false info.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    It’s why I refer to mainstream Western sources predominantly …

The Biden Administration Is Quietly Shifting Its Strategy in Ukraine

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Not so much about Russia losing anymore. Much less about Ukraine winning. Mostly now about how mean Russia is and why it has little justification in being so mean.

17. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    But we didn't strap any dummies to the outside of the planes, did we? If it doesn't look believable in some way, it's a waste of time. Parachute dummies are a good idea, especially for a night drop, as all the people can see on the ground are silhouettes.

18. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Then why don't you justify Russia's meanness. You failed before at this, but maybe you'll get lucky this time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Why would I do that ? I’ve never agreed that Russia is mean whereas, say, the US is not.

20. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    They also hit the ground firing blanks, which caused the Germans to deploy reserves against them, giving the real British paras a few extra minutes to get organized.

I have no problem with the Russians using dummies as tactical deception. Trying to make yourself appear stronger when you’re weak and weaker when you’re strong is as old as warfare.

• Like Like x 1