Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The real advantage is in weapons accuracy. The missiles and guided bombs we have given Ukraine are not able to be controlled as accurately from a Russian airframe, which is mostly what Ukraine has now. With the F-16, the weapons will be used at full accuracy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Russia is not able to capitalize on its limited successes because it is not capable of correctly using armored vehicles to move its infantry. They lose so many soldiers in their poorly armored vehicles, which are large enough targets, that they prefer to send troops out without the armored vehicles, which slows them down and leaves them vulnerable to gunfire. The poor mobility allows Ukrainian troops to retreat and set up new defensive positions without losing many soldiers in the process.

Russia probably can't capitalize on a recent victory because it's so bad at using its armored vehicles, experts say (yahoo.com)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Headline seems misleading since I don't think this Russian TV personality has an official capacity, but I wonder if the Kremlin is seriously considering anything like this.

Russia threatens to take US' military bases in NATO territory

A prominent Russian broadcaster said 'American occupation troops should be withdrawn from Europe' during a furious rant live on state television.

In a clip shared on X by Eastern European media outlet Nexta, Solovyov said Moscow should capture American bases in Germany, Italy and Portugal.

He said during Evening with Vladimir Solovyov: "I believe that all American occupation troops should be withdrawn from Europe, and Russian military bases should be located deep from the territory of the Russian Federation.

"For example, it is perfectly possible to occupy part of the military bases that have been prepared by the Americans in Western Europe. Ramstein could be our base.

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Good luck with that, Vladimir.

5. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    reading rumors that f-16's are already in action and responsible for the 8 russian jets recently downed (last 3 weeks)

there has been a big uptick in russian jet losses and now long range precision strikes. combine that with recent use by russia of long range precision cruise missiles aimed at western Ukranian airfield.....things that make you go hmmm. dutch leader said 4 days ago that they could be delivered any day and I suspect that he is being conservative

Ukraine F-16 Speculation Mounts as Russia Loses 8 Fighter Jets in 3 Weeks (newsweek.com)
    "This aircraft is integrated into the NATO command and control system, and that is the danger," one prominent Russian military blogger said on Tuesday.

Although not officially announced, it is not impossible that Ukraine has received at least an initial batch of F-16s. In mid-October, Ukraine debuted its ATACMS missiles in eye-catching assaults on Russian airbases that wiped out a slew of Russian helicopters. The attacks are thought to have caught Moscow by surprise, with the weapons confirmed after Ukraine first fired the missiles.

The same could be true of the long-awaited fast jets, and could offer Ukraine a much-needed advantage as the frontlines stagnate in the biting winter months.

7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My cool Christmas gift. A keychain charm with a piece of a Russian T72 destroyed during the Battle of Kyiv

My picture doesn't fit so I found the link. Very clever packaging says "Made in Russia. Recycled in Ukraine."

Screenshot fits Screenshot_20231227-231924-628.png

Ukrainian Brutal Military Keychain

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 7
  8. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That makes some sense.

9. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Ukrainians with the following conditions are now eligible for conscription. But Russia is floundering …

10. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
  11. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022

12. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Smdh

13. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    You too, huh ?

14. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    I don’t think so. We have not kept secret the data of any of our equipment in combat against the Russians. I can’t think of a reason we would stop now. Russia has interest in saying, “Waaaah! The only reason our second-rate Air Force is taking so many losses lately is the unfair new [third-tier] NATO equipment being hurled against us!” But the U.S. has no interest that I can see in hiding F16 air-to-air victories if they were happening.

15. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I can see us hiding F-16 losses when they fall flaming from the skies.

On the other hand, I can see Ukraine using them sparingly and away from the frontlines.

16. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Nonsense. The more 16's get shot down from the sky, the more justified the USAF is in investing in replacements like the 22 and 35.

If anything, they'll be down playing their effectiveness--as appears to be happening now.

MIC wants the old shit to fail as spectacularly as possible.

Failure is a commercial for newer, better, more expensive projects.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    The Russian landing ship Novocherkassk was only slightly damaged by the Ukrainian cruise missile attack, according to the Russians. It is still usable as a limited mobility training vessel, and it was not sunk. Only about 85% of the ship is below water. The ship was used to transport troops and equipment from one battle area to another, along with ferrying missiles in from Iran, apparently.

Full Devastation From Cruise Missile Attack On Russian Ship Comes Into View

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    first ones weren't coming from US. Think it was Netherlands scheduled to deliver the first batch

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
  19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    • Like Like x 1
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Russia's Air Superiority Is About to End (msn.com)

A U.S. source told Newsweek on Wednesday that it was likely Ukraine had received the first of the promised F-16s. Ukraine's air force did not respond to a written Newsweek comment request but issued a denial in a statement posted to social media.

Ukraine's foreign minister, Dmytro Kuleba, said in mid-October that F-16s could arrive in the first half of 2024. This was reiterated by Ukraine's air force earlier this week. There have been indications that Russia is worried about the imminent arrival of the F-16s. Moscow has started preparations to move its Black Sea bases further eastward away from Ukraine, "a clear indication of the danger posed by the impending arrival of F-16 fighters," Mertens previously said.
    F-16s will be able to leverage HARM (or high-speed anti-radiation) missiles much more effectively than Kyiv can do with its Soviet-era jets. The F-16s can use real-time feeds for more accurate targeting. This "will massively improve the lethality of these missiles," Mertens predicted. It will also mean Ukraine can more effectively tackle Russia's air defenses.

Similar things could be said of the AIM-120 AMRAAMs (or Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missiles) and Harpoon missiles around the Black Sea area. "The combination of the F-16 and the Harpoon could give Ukraine sufficient anti-ship striking power to drive the Russian surface fleet from the Black Sea if they manage to get sufficient local air superiority to strike deep enough," Mertens said.

• Informative Informative x 1