Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Yes, and One wonders how and where they got such good intelligence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    ot-posted several drone videos I recently took in the pub from scotland and iceland for those that never venture over to the pub. more to go but I have to downsize to be able to upload to flickr

• Like Like x 1
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    someone, Ukraine special forces???, snuck into one of Russians most closely guarded airfields and planted explosives to destroy two planes and a helicopter used by senior russian military leadership. Military is getting nervous when their own hoe airfield is succesfully targeted. too bad they didn't have some altimeter sensitive explosions set to explode when the plane was off the ground and full of senior leadership

Intelligence report: Mysterious sabotage in the heart of Russia causes panic (msn.com)
    According to Ukraine's Defense Intelligence (DIU), unknown saboteurs have destroyed two airplanes and a helicopter near Moscow, causing widespread panic among Russian military officials.

Deep within Russia, far from the ongoing conflict in Ukraine, lies the Chkalovsky Airfield. Located just 20 kilometers from Moscow, this military base is considered the heart of Russia.

4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Ukraine wins control over key Russian supply route on Bakhmut front (msn.com)

"We are now able to target one of their supply routes on the Bakhmut-Horlivka highway, which is located just three kilometers from the frontline. This falls within the effective range of our mortar units and UAVs."

Several other routes used by Russia to supply their troops in Bakhmut remain.

"These are routes leading from the occupied territories," Yevlash explained. Ukrainian troops are continuing to sever these logistical routes and will persist in doing so.

"Our objective is to cripple the Russian group in this direction and inflict maximum losses on them."

• Like Like x 1
  5. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Pope gets on board with support for Ukraine, demands countries follow through with promises of weapons for Ukraine. Says "we have to help them resolve things". Then he left it to his wartime consigliere to explain what he meant, and that guy said that the whole organization should either go to the mattresses for Ukraine, or make Russia an offer they can't refuse. When in Rome . . .

Pope says countries should not "play games" with Ukraine on arms aid

6. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Russia's foreign minister is surprised to learn that Russia has been kidnapping Ukraine's children. Then he suggests that Ukraine's parents come to Russia to pick up their children. What could go wrong there?

Ukrainian parents invited to ‘collect their children’ from Russia

In unrelated news, Putin thinks he may have found a source for new bodies (err, conscripts) for the Ukraine War.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    That’s one way to interpret it, I suppose. When I read a different article on the same topic of the Pope’s words, I sadly interpreted it as the ramblings of an old man who can’t remember that the stream of consciousness he releases today contradicts the one he had last week. That a spokesperson had to immediately come walk back the Pope’s words tells me everything I need to know about it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Russia's military strongholds in Kursk Oblast have been abandoned, as Russia is desperate for troops to fight on the front lines. Kursk Oblast is a province on the eastern border with Ukraine (north of Bakhmut). Russia spent the equivalent of $100 million to build the fake fortifications, confirmed to be empty and overgrown with bushes and weeds by partisans and aerial photography.

National Resistance Center: Russian strongholds in Kursk Oblast deserted

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Ramaswamy's positions on Ukraine have him being reduced to a high school student.

Sean Penn Calls Vivek Ramaswamy a ‘High School Student’ in Response to His Stance on the Ukraine War (Video)

• Like Like x 1
  10. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I know. Getting old is hell. I would not have guessed Sean Penn would say anything that would sound reasonable to me, either. :)

12. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Ukraine is working on severing Russia's logistical supply lines in the Bakhmut area.

We are severing Russian logistics routes on Bakhmut front – Ukraine's Eastern Group of Forces

• Like Like x 2
  13. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
  14. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    No, that’s not his point. It’s that our material support has risen to a level that me might as well be directly at war with Russia. And that is BS, of course. We had been supporting Ukraine with military aid and advice (at least in a meaningful way) since 2017. We never stated nor implied that we would do otherwise since the Russians invaded. We have escalated that support since February 2022 but not even remotely to the degree that Russia has escalated its barbarous war on the Ukrainian people. So Russian whining that “this tears it!” with long-range munitions (while they attack Odesa with long-range munitions) rings hollow.

But in a fair critique of this administration, what another lost opportunity to fairly mouth off to the Russians. When they make yet another empty threat at us, why not say out loud what we already know privately: “We know you’re afraid us. We read your mail. Pray you don’t cross a line that actually does bring us into direct conflict with you.”

16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not remotely. He's sharp. He was originally trying to leverage a relationship with the Moscow Patriarch. He worked that likely far longer that he should before realizing it was futile.

There is also the interrelated European migrant issue that is one of the key foreign policy issues of his papacy. Ukranian issues were being leveraged against his initiatives. Plus there is the far right electoral surge across the continent.

This is a complex issue for the Vatican

18. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    Being reported that in Ukraines attack on the Russian Naval HQ they killed the commander of the Black Sea fleet and most of the senior officers.

Fantastic news.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022

20. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA