Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Russia's defecting helicopter pilot is singing like a bird, telling everything he knows about Russia's aircraft communications and airfields network.

The Russian pilot who defected to Ukraine with a Mi-8 helicopter is now providing key aviation intelligence to Ukraine, defense agency says

• Like Like x 2
  2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    That expression suggests you still think this game is being played by International Liberal rules instead of the Realist rules that are actually in play. Failure to prioritize interests over values in this game is precisely why we have lost Saudi Arabia at a time we needed them greatly to help cripple Russia’s critical hydrocarbon revenue and why we just paid Iran, a country that is supporting Russia militarily, $6B in tribute to release hostages they had no right to take in the first place. International Liberal ideals need to go back on the shelf for better days. Russia, China, and Iran have made that the case, not me. I would rather win the war, like FDR did, and feel a little bad that I compromised some values along the way, than lose the war and feel only a smudge of satisfaction that I played by a “better” set of rules than my opponents.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    By all accounts, they have.

4. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Which is why the coward likes to wave around nukes. He just completely dropped his pants to his ankles on this one. This is one of the great strategic blunders of all time.

5. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Yeah, but the Gripens were designed for and serve a distinct role that Sweden still values (and would be perfect for Ukraine). These things can land on decent roads/highways and, as I understand it, can be almost fully serviced by a couple of mobile vehicles. F16's are great, but American hardware also comes with a pretty extensive supply chain back to the US, requires more maintenance, longer runways, etc. Same reason, IMO, India was smart to go with the Rafale over the F16/F18 combo.

I've also heard they could switch gears once officially brought into NATO.

6. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    I would argue (as does Peter) that this is a "realist" deal. Plus, the 6B was theirs. We're just releasing it back to them. The Saudis were never going to play ball without ridiculous concessions. They've never been our friend (and vice versa) and are only "friendly" when they have a need (security) they want us to fill. Nevermind the billions they've supplied in funding for the worst of the worst of Islamic fascists (until it wasn't convenient anymore) while being the Corporate HQ for the worst form of Islam in the world. I pray for the day we can cast those SOBs off and let them die on the vine.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    It is … as long as we press the matter and don’t give him a strategic victory. I’m not interested in regime change. I don’t want to see Russia collapse in revolution. I don’t even want to see them humbled economically and militarily for decades to come. But I do demand that this ends in a way where Russia can’t claim some kind of victory to build on. It has to be absolutely clear to Russia, to China, to the peoples of the world, that Russia launched a war of conquest and lost.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    What's your take on Crimea? I still feel like it's a better scenario if Russia keeps it due to history, ethnicity, pride, etc. Ukraine is going to have enough on its hands trying to rebuild, do they really want to take on that and a likely insurgency from the mostly Russian population?

9. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    In over three and a half months we cannot confirm that Ukraine has been able to capture a pile of rubble known as Robotyne. But retaking Crimea looks like a strong possibility!

10. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
  11. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 2
  13. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Defeating the Russians is so easy that Ukrainian front line troops take a break every few days to enjoy a sauna.

Ukrainian soldiers are using camouflaged saunas on the front line to bathe and disinfect after weeks in the trenches

Looks like Russia didn't steal all the washing machines in Ukraine . . .

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    The attack on the submarine was the same type of attack that Elon Musk blocked last year. They apparently used missiles instead of drones and did not need the Starlink connection.

Ukraine just carried out the same kind of strike on Russia's navy that Elon Musk blocked, believing it could start a nuclear war

15. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    In addition to the submarine, a landing ship was destroyed.

New photo of Russia's Minsk landing ship proves it has been destroyed

16. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Our resident Baghdad Bob would suggest that this incident is pure propaganda for the gullible American masses. It is actually a strategic redeployment... turning the mighty Baltic Fleets' warships into operationally significant navigational hazards. LOL

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Germany comes through with a military aid package. They were almost timely with the de-mining tanks. Almost.

Germany sends new military aid package with 20 Marder infantry vehicles

18. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    The Danes are also feeling generous, announcing a military aid package of $830 million.

Denmark to send Ukraine $830 million military aid package

• Like Like x 1
  19. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I was thinking that the F-16's would be used temporarily by Sweden (for a few years), while they manufacture more Gripens. The longer runway requirement could be a problem in a country with elevation changes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Interesting that the "Code Pink" crowd is still complaining that nobody in NATO carries their weight, but conveniently ignore things like this or the simple fact that they're all spending 3% or more of their GDP on defense now. Among the many things they conveniently ignore.