Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Link? I mean, anyone can just say anything in this thread as if it’s true. I even still see certain people holding to the desperate lie that the disorganized retreat from Kyiv under enemy pressure was a calculated deception operation. If someone can will themselves to believe that in the face of the evidence, then anyone can post just about anything.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    This just in from our own Baghdad Bob: Up is now down and russki hyper-inflation is a simply a ploy to trick the decadent West." LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Lost Cause is in the Air …

What were they thinking?!

How did the Imperial Masters of War ever persuade themselves that their money, weapons, several thousand mercenaries, and a large fraction of the male population of Ukraine could defeat Russia in a high-intensity industrial land war on its borders?!

Did they really believe NATO armaments, training, intelligence, surveillance, planning, command, and impotent economic sanctions would be sufficient to defeat a resurgent Russia in 2022 and beyond?

I think they almost certainly did. Hubris and its attendant delusions are staples of end-of-empire epochs.

Lost Cause Is in the Air

4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Ukraine in maps: Tracking the war with Russia
    Analysts at the US-based Institute for the Study of War (ISW) say the advances near Robotyne and Urozhaine are "likely tactically significant because of the structure of Russian defensive lines" and note that Russian forces have dedicated significant effort to hold the settlements.

The ISW says the Ukraine's recent advances north and north east of Robotyne may allow Ukrainian forces to begin operating in the areas behind the densest minefields - although it adds it has no way to assess the width of the minefields.

Ukraine’s Powerful 82nd Brigade, Once Held In Reserve, Has Finally Joined The Counteroffensive

The Ukrainian air assault forces finally have deployed their most powerful unit. The 2,000-person 82nd Air Assault Brigade, which is stacked with Marder and Stryker fighting vehicles and Challenger 2 tanks, rolled into action around Robotyne, in southern Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia Oblast, apparently in the last few days.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Thank for posting this . One of the greatest lies ever told is that the Versailles Treaty’s “onerous terms” caused Germany’s inflation. It is just not true, as you said, but birthed one of the most dangerous propaganda lies ever told.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
  6. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
  7. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    • Like Like x 1
  8. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
  9. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    The virulently anti-Putin Mediazona, in conjunction with the BBC, can only corroborate 30k Russian dead.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
  11. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
  12. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    I think the retreat was tied to the peace deal they were working on, which timeline wise is well-documented. Also well-documented Zelenskyy was on board with the peace proposal. So it makes sense Russia would need to retreat to show they’re going to honor the deal, before Ukraine makes any movements to dismantle defensive positions. Also, it’s well-documented Russia knew they were going after to lose a lot of men before the invasion. Hard for me to believe they thought they were going to take Kyiv with 40,000 troops, when they had thousands of medics and blood trucks ready and waiting at the border. They’ve sacrificed multiples of that number of troops just to hold the line in the southeast.

I suppose you could argue the Russians thought there would be almost no fight from the Ukrainians, but that doesn’t really line up with the fact the Russians trained on the border for a year. And that the Russians were already familiar with the willingness of Ukraine to defend its turf with the 2014 incursion in the Donbas. Russian-backed separatists lost quite a few men during that episode. Why would Moscow think a march towards the capital wouldn’t involve massive losses after seeing what took place in 2014? I can believe Moscow would have taken Kyiv if the Ukrainians did indeed lay down, but I don’t think it can be argued they expected to capture a contested Kyiv with 40,000 soldiers and a year of pre-warning on the attack. I can’t believe any military minded person would believe that, unless they’ve been lied to.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    I suppose you could argue the Russians thought there would be almost no fight from the Ukrainians, but that doesn’t really line up with the fact the Russians trained on the border for a year. And that the Russians were already familiar with the willingness of Ukraine to defend its turf with the 2014 incursion in the Donbas. Russian-backed separatists lost quite a few men during that episode. Why would Moscow think a march towards the capital wouldn’t involve massive losses after seeing what took place in 2014? I can believe Moscow would have taken Kyiv if the Ukrainians did indeed lay down, but I don’t think it can be argued they expected to capture a contested Kyiv with 40,000 soldiers and a year of pre-warning on the attack. I can’t believe any military minded person would believe that, unless they’ve been lied to.[/QUOTE]

More just in from our new russki Baghdad Bob: The glorious Soviet space program announces the unmitigated success of the lastest Lunar Smasher impact on the Moon. The decadent West mistakenly surmised it was to be an attempted landing when, in order to completely quiet the incorrect theory that Russian optics, targeting and acquisition abilities had been diminished, it was proven a direct violent hit upon the Lunar surface was accomplished. It was admitted, however, that smaller and or maneuverable targets could prove to be more problematic.

14. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

The easy answer is that Putin & Company completely misassessed the US/NATO/EU response.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
  16. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Why? We aren't buying any more F-16's, are we?

17. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The problem last year was that Germany continued to buy oil from Russia at European prices. And it wasn't just for Germany. The Germans turned around and sold Russian oil (or oil products) to Britain and likely other countries. Germany was not willing to sacrifice its economy for Ukraine. By the end of the year, they had built storage tanks and facilities to process natural gas from the U.S., and stopped buying Russian oil. That's when the real destruction of the Russian economy began. They continued to sell oil, but to China and India at minimal prices. This has caused the Russian government to gradually run out of money and start to experience inflation.

I'm sure you knew all of that, but were not courageous enough to admit it. Time to grow up and move on from 2022.

18. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Perhaps Congress is stupid enough to agree with lobbyists that try to convince them that more F35s are needed to replace the F16s being “given” to Ukraine.

19. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Why is that stupid?