Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    DOH! Russia plans on completing an order of S-400 SAM systems to India by sending two more units.

Russia supplying S-400 air defence systems to India on schedule - defence official

This should fund Russia's war for another week or so.

2. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    LOL someone had to refuel on propaganda to get it up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Major contrast in what children are being taught in Russia and Ukraine. Russian children are taught how to maintain rifles and operate drones, so they will be more useful when it comes to killing Russia's neighbors. Ukrainian children are being taught how to navigate minefields, because they need to know this to survive after they win the war. Apparently, Russia does not see a use for children that does not involve killing Russia's neighbors. Who does that remind me of? Adolf something-or-other . . .

While Russia's schoolchildren learn how to operate drones and clean guns, Ukraine's students will take classes on how to navigate treacherous minefields

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    More bad news for Russia's air force: Russia is rapidly depleting its air force planes through overuse. The concern is that by the time Ukraine gets F-16's, they won't have anything to shoot down. Russian planes are only good for 3,000 flight hours, and many of Russia's planes are approaching that number. They may or may not be capable of producing more planes, depending on quickly Putin runs out of cash.

Russia is quickly depleting its fleet of warplanes through overuse, and Ukraine deploying F-16s could worsen the situation: expert

5. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    They should teach their military first.

6. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    The problem for the military isn't a simple matter of navigating minefields. Its navigating minefields while being shot at, which is exponentially more difficult. Maybe you think you could do better?

• Like Like x 1
  7. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I’m still trying to figure out your position here. Sometime back I asked why so much love for Putin and the Russians, and you answered that you don’t love them. But every post is either supporting the Russians or denigrating the Ukrainians.

Are you rooting for a winner here? What do you want to see as an outcome?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Ukraine does have one thing to help them deal with minefields: thermal imaging on drones. Just after the sun goes down, the grass and vegetation cools off rapidly, but the mines continue to glow white hot on the thermal imaging sights.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  9. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    When my dad completed one of his B-17 missions in the east, a refinery in Romania I think, he flew on to the Soviet Union and landed at a base there to refuel before heading back to England. While there, the Germans attacked the field, dropping clusters of small bombs.

The next day the Russians brought out women prisoners, spaced them 10 yards or so apart, and ran chains between their legs. The women then had to walk together dragging the chains, hoping to set off any unexploded ordnance.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Actually, I don't think I could do better. But you can sign up to go fight. I'd rather seek peace.

11. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. littlebluelw

littlebluelw GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  13. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    I have never hated the Russians and I despise our foreign policy.

After over a half century of American hegemony, I’m on the edge of my seat watching a country, in Russia, standing up and saying no.

Secondarily, Russia is winning the war which purpose was to see Putin deposed and Russia weakened.

Wouldn’t you wake up angry, every morning, if the reverse was the case, that another country was doing this to us ?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2023
  14. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    From a former CIA …

From Russia’s perspective the military operation in Ukraine is not a war. War means destroying the enemy — physically, materially and politically. Despite the claims from Western propaganda, Russia has shied away from inflicting mass civilian casualties. Russia has not tried to destroy Western ISR platforms, Ukrainian government infrastructure or Ukrainian political officials. In short, Russia has only played a few of the military cards it holds. Going to war means you go all in.

Ukraine and its NATO allies hold a diametrically opposed view — this is a Russian war of aggression. In contrast to Russia, Ukraine has not only mobilized its population of military aged men, but it has dragooned youth under the age of 18 and men between the ages of 45 and 65 into uniform and sent the cannon fodder forward. Ukraine’s ability to sustain a war footing going forward is entirely dependent on money and weapons supplied by the United States and other NATO member states. Without foreign support Ukraine cannot continue to fight a modern industrial war.

15. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
  16. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thank you for your response. There are plenty of things in US foreign policy that I don’t like, but how is Russia a victim of our foreign policy? How is attacking Ukraine standing up to the US?

Even if one purpose of US involvement might be to depose Putin, he is the one who chose to invade Ukraine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Early on Biden, Blinken and Austin said the quiet part out loud: America’s long-standing aim of seeing Putin deposed and Russia weakened and that Ukraine was the method for accomplishing that.

If anything, this war is Putin saying “No, I don’t think I’m going to let you do that.”

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    I will note my separation here with dd. I certainly don't see Russia or Putin as victims at all. They are a world power trying to make their way, just like us. Several of their actions are quite objectionable and even unnecessary in some instances. How would we react if Russia tried to install a pro-Russian regime in Ottawa? My hope is that we'd stop it. So I can't fault the Russians for trying to hold Ukraine. That doesn't mean I agree with everything they do or see them as victims. They are spending the blood and weaponry to maintain a sphere in Ukraine. The main thing is it's not our problem and by doing what we're doing, we're actually going to make things worse for the United States. Time after time, the blowback and fallout from our foreign policy adventurism have been net negatives. Extremely costly net negatives.

20. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Putin as Wyatt Earp …