Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    According to the Washington Post, many citizens of Ukraine are adopting a darker mood about the war with Russia, and national unity is beginning to fray. The change in sentiment comes as Kiev’s spring counteroffensive fails to retake significant territory despite surging casualties.

"Ukrainians, much in need of good news, are simply not getting any," the Washington Post reported Thursday. One Ukrainian, Alla Blyzniuk, interviewed by the outlet, said, "[before] people were united." Now, she described, a sense of collective "disappointment."

Ukrainians Begin To Despair As Bloody Counteroffensive Yields Small Gains | ZeroHedge

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I stumbled across this website that purports to help you bypass propaganda and misinformation. I haven’t vetted it, but throw it out here in case someone might find it useful. It seems like it has sources from both sides of the conflict, offering different perspectives.

How to Follow the Ukraine War

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  3. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    If Biden continues to double down on the lethal aid, not only is he going to have to answer for the wasted taxpayer dollars, but he's going to have to answer for the lives he's ruined. It's a humanitarian disaster what's happening over there with NATO pushing Ukraine to fight and their soldiers have a life expectancy of a few days. I was hopeful we would see an acknowledgement of this and peace talks commence, but it looks like Biden wants to keep sending billions over there to fight a losing war.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I don’t see a hint from Americans that the net effect of Biden’s proxy war is to kill and maim hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians and ruin their country. I best I hear things like, “Why are we sending another $24 billion to Ukraine when Maui is burning ?”

5. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Ukraine falling apart is not going to age well for Biden. Cut losses now, while you still can. I'm not going to be surprised if Biden does just that, but so far, it looks like he's doubling down. What I don't understand is this is exactly what American intelligence told him was going to happen. I don't get the setting yourself up for disaster play on Biden's part. It's either this is a culmination of a 10-year plan or there's something else in Ukraine we're not fully aware of at the moment.

6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Putin no longer has the reserves to protect the ruble. Expect the slide to continue as the sanctions continue to bite and CHina slows down and reduces oil imports from Russia.

Russian Ruble at Weakest Level Since Early Days of Ukraine War (msn.com)

Russia’s currency hit its weakest level in over a year, weighed down by Western sanctions and a wholesale reorientation of the economy toward supplying the war in Ukraine.

The ruble’s decline picked up pace in recent weeks, and on Monday the currency fell past 100 to the U.S. dollar for the first time since the weeks after Russia invaded Ukraine. So far this year, the ruble has lost almost 30% of its value against the dollar. Only a handful of currencies including the Turkish lira, Nigerian naira and Argentine peso are having a worse year.
    The Central Bank of Russia has attributed the ruble’s decline to the country’s deteriorating trade position. Russia’s current-account surplus, a broad measure of funds flowing into the economy, shrank to $25.2 billion in the first seven months of the year, an 85% fall compared with the same period last year, central bank data showed last week.

• Like Like x 3
  7. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    The virulently ant-Putin Mediazona, in conjunction with the BBC, claims to have corroborated 30,003 Russians killed as of Aug. 11.

They add, “but significantly higher” but do not explain why.

Curiously, they have never reported on Ukrainian deaths.

Russian casualties in Ukraine. Mediazona count, updated

8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    • Like Like x 3
  9. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
  10. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep. I remember when the British in 1943 wanted to hold hands with the Germans, do a Riverdance, and sing Kumbaya. That's fairly unusual when a country at war with another country expresses dislike for that country. It's almost unprecedented.

With the possible exception of every other war in history.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I find it helpful to locate a good Russian troll, and believe the exact opposite of everything he says.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    And that’s how you go off the rails and nurture mish-mash wet dream of Russia of evil, bumbling Russia brutalizing Ukrainians with shovels. It’s here in full view. You should be embarrassed that you’re not embarrassed.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I don’t think the level of hatred is reciprocated by the Russians, although that may be changing.

14. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, if you would quit grovelling at my feet, you would be less likely to get my feet stuck in your mouth.

15. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    The Russians are not in an existential war--the Ukrainians are. The vast majority of the war is not occurring on Russian soil, either. The Russians have lost very few civilians and very little infrastructure in the war, whereas Russia has been targeting Ukraine's hospitals, apartments, and schools. And the Russians have made a net gain in home appliances, thanks to the thievery of their marauding barbarian troops (while, by some coincidence, the Ukrainians have lost almost exactly the same number of appliances). By Russia's standards, this war is going pretty good for them, other than the fact they are losing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I have nothing to be embarrassed about. I was able to recognize a modern-day Hitler when he invaded another country without cause, and didn't immediately start blaming the victim of aggression, or every other third party I could think of. You failed to do so.

YOU are the one that most of the people on this site have on ignore, not me. Why do you think that is? Because your wisdom is unfathomable? Or your lack of wisdom is abominable, and your positions disgraceful? I don't think embarrassment is something you understand, or you would be more embarrassed by your posts. I know you hate the fact that I point out how Russia is losing this war. Maybe you should try therapy to deal with it.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Hello, McFly! Putin has known for some time now that this is a proxy war intended to see him deposed and his country weakened.

18. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
  19. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    It was not a war at all until Putin started it. What the war became AFTER Putin started it does not justify the war. Unless Putin fell off the proverbial turnip truck or was absolutely convinced that he would win in a few days, he had to realize that failure to win the war quickly would result in the West initiating a proxy war, just like we did in Afghanistan, and just like Russia did in the Korean War and the Vietnam War. What goes around, comes around.

And, yes, Russia needs to be weakened. They have had a bad habit of invading their neighbors in the last 15 years, and at some point, this behavior is unacceptable. Once Russia is properly weakened, they will stop invading their neighbors. Whether Putin himself is deposed or not may not make much difference, as long as Russia's military is destroyed and Ukraine's territory, including Crimea, is returned to Ukraine.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Russia's ruble is now worth less than a penny. And Russia's elites don't like it.

Russian ruble is now worth less than a penny, infuriating Vladimir Putin’s inner circle: ‘They’re laughing at us’

Well, we're not laughing with you. Sounds like Putin is running out of money in his war chest. Maybe now Putin will do something stupid like send S-400 SAM systems to India to raise some cash.

• Like Like x 1