Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Virginia county looking to restore confederate names to schools

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, May 9, 2024.

1. thelouisianagator

thelouisianagator Senior

Dec 24, 2023
    I'm sure most people in England in the 1700's wouldn't have considered the U.S. citizens patriots either. Doesn't mean they weren't. To most in England the U.S. citizens rising up against England and the monarchy were traitors. It's all perspective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    It is ironic how some of the same people that claim that morality is not relative then come here with the mother of all moral relativism on this topic alone. He can't be judged because of "the times" (i.e., other people believed those things too). It is infantilising. He was an educated adult. He was exposed to the morality of abolitionists, who were not some tiny minority at the time. It appears that he chose to kill to prevent that morality from taking hold. He maintained his control over slaves for his economic benefit. He did so while being of sound mind and with full knowledge of what he was doing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Then do not call yourself an American patriot. Your allegiances lie elsewhere ( CSA).

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I laugh t these people that think they have the right to tell us what we can and can't do about people in history. And if you don't do what they say you are not an American Patriot? LMFAO! Where do the communist open border people come from?

I'm sure they like the George Floyd statue... This drug dealing crack head is more hero than Robert E. Lee was to them and our country.

[​IMG]

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  5. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Actually, he was. Floyd didn't lead an armed rebellion against the United States. Lee was a traitor. But then again, armed insurrections against the US don't seem to concern you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    People may not realize that much of the idea of states rights came from the fact the colonies were essentially their own independent entities. There was much fighting between the founding fathers regarding the role of a central government s state rule, some didn’t want to sign the Declaration of independence because of this. In 1860 the US was barely 70 years old so it’s not crazy to see why some felt more allegiance to their home state over the US.
    Now almost 200 years later that idea for me is absurd, but I can understand why the felt that way from studying history.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Who is lamenting the CSA lost the war, I missed that post.

8. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    It seems to me you’re suggesting the Robert E Lee only took up arms vs the US because of his own financial self interests, from what I’ve read and seen that was hardly the case.

From your post should I assume you feel the same about all of the founding fathers who owned slaves? And anyone how owned slaves since that time?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    No, he kept slaves for his financial self interests. He fought for that system. And he did so against people who had a more moral position. He was not a child. He was not incapable of thought or morality.

Largely, yes, they were immoral. But here is the difference: we don't celebrate the Founding Fathers because they owned slaves and defended slavery. We celebrate them in spite of that.

Lee's major accomplishment was killing a bunch of people to preserve slavery.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    George Floyd and his statue say hello to your "patriots" types... :rolleyes::mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The American revolution was fought for independence from a monarchy.

The south rebelled in Civil War against a democracy so as to preserve the institution of slavery.

Apples vs. dogshit.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    While I generally agree with this, the Civil War definitely did include the element of whether states had certain rights.....

....such as to legally enslave other people and consider them property.

13. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Tali about wanting it both ways. Chanting USA while waving around the stars and bars. Gimme a break. :rolleyes:

14. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Whether or not they are lamenting the loss of the war by the CSA they do favor honoring the leaders of an insurrection against the lawful government of the United States.

15. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And they're too ignorant to realize the symbolism. Not surprising considering their Dear Leader loves the uneducated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    yes Floyd is preferable to a racist human trafficking leader who helped lead 10s of thousands of his followers to their death for a losing cause and he himself, a loser.

17. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Benedict Arnold High School?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Who is a racist trafficking leader? Are you inventing the strawman again?

19. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The whole "how it used to be" canard is absurd after about 30 seconds of consideration.

Trying to rationalize your actual current beliefs by sanitizing abhorrent past behavior, essentially.

The Lost Causers are pretty bad at it. I mean most of them can thoroughly explain how Moses was doing the right thing, and, oh, Yul Brenner couldn't support himself with that "but this is just how we do it, guys, mmm-kay?" thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    I'm not a history major by any stretch of the imagination but wasn't that one reason why the Articles of Confederation didn't work out, the power of a central government?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1