Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Virginia county looking to restore confederate names to schools

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, May 9, 2024.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Would be the first anywhere.

Virginia school board to vote on restoring Confederate names

not sure what the end goal is, Shenandoah county is someplace I’m in a lot. It’s poor (relative to other parts of NOVA) mostly white, but seems like shooting cutting off your Jose to spite your face. Hope they are happy being lower on the income ladder than everyone else because no one will bring business there. Especially with the other neighboring options.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We need to respect the intent of the founding fathers of that era, like good ole Thaddeus

Stevens_thadee.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    America is great, people are barely willing to fund education for other people, but are willing to privately raise funds to change the name of schools to something more racist

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The Commonwealth is on fire!

The practice, known as a Fourth Amendment waiver, permits police to search a person, their home, or vehicle for a specified number of years after a conviction, even if they’ve completed their sentence of incarceration or parole, and regardless of proof they committed a crime. People living under the waiver cannot challenge the legality of anything police find during a search. Lengths of the waivers can stretch long beyond probationary periods—prosecutors have ordered some people to waive their Fourth Amendment rights for as long as 20 years, according to data obtained by Virginia advocacy group Justice Forward through public records requests and shared with Bolts.

Prosecutors say the waivers improve public safety. Colette McEachin, the commonwealth attorney for the city of Richmond since 2019, told Bolts the waivers are “very effective” in resolving cases and put people “on notice” once they’re released from incarceration. She also said the waivers prevent people from reacting violently to otherwise unlawful police searches. “They are aware that they’ve given up that right, because they had to sign an agreement that says that. Hopefully there will not be a dangerous situation where they are upset that law enforcement is searching them.”

So in essence, we will search them anyway, legally or illegally.

5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Why am I not surprised. Glenn Youngkin who ran for the governorship as a conventional Republican moderate conservative has transformed himself into a version of Trump lite after taking office. Maybe he's still running as a long shot for a place on Donald Trump's ticket. Keep in mind that in 2022 Youngkin the governor of Virginia flew to Arizona to campaign on behalf of Kari Lake.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  6. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Cool....Bring back Aunt Jemima....Pearl Milling Company is a stupid name.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Man must Virginians be proud

9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He’s the one who ran against Jennifer Wexton here in the VA 10 in the last cycle. He’s got a great personal story to tell, but not much else policy wise lines up with this district.
    I am sure with her retiring he thinks he has a shot this time around, so he’s out trying to be visible. He only lost by like 6 points maybe last time because they redistricted and brought more of rural loudoun and Fauqier into it. But it’s still not favorable for him. And comments like that aren’t gonna help.

10. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Isn't he running for U.S. Senate this time?

11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep, you’re right. Didn’t even know, kinda sad I had forgotten.

12. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I had to Google him so you're way ahead of me!

13. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    The new name could be,,,,

The Dishonorable Robert E Lee High School.

My wife and I attended Tampa Chamberlain high school. Was called the Chiefs when I went there. Why was that a bad name? My wife is 1/16 Cherokee Indian and is still pissed off about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Haha, are they not the chiefs anymore? I went to Gaither way back when. Chamberlain was our big rival.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chamberlain is now the Storm. Things change. Part of life. Unless you want Robert Parrish as your mascot, or top level Petty Officers, it's about natives. That was the mascot. It's right to change that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  16. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I went to Robinswood Middle School. Two of my cousins went to Robert E Lee Middle School one district over Both were called junior high schools then.

17. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gator Bait! while we are at it.

Song of the South has been dealt with harshly by Disney too.

Last edited: May 15, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Typical for dictator thinking democrats to believe it okay to change the names of the schools in the first place without consulting with and receiving the support of the citizens in the county or whatever they call counties in Virginia. Hells bells, it's the exact same thing Dictator Biden and his administration is doing in Washington DC.

A few of the dictator democrats got voted out or were somehow replaced with more reasonable people. The new board consulted with the citizens and held a vote. It couldn't have been more like a democracy, each opinion and each vote counted equally.

You dictator thinking democrats here don't have to like it, but it was handled correctly by the new board. It's a local event that has nothing to do with Glenn Youngkin or anyone running for other offices. The involved governor at the time when the names were changed was lay the baby on the table and then decide life or death of the baby Northam who sent letters to school boards requesting school names be changed.

These three historical figures honored by having names used for these two schools are part of the history of the state and the nation. If the citizens choose to keep their memory alive, good on them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    I didn’t realize end of 2023 they melted-down the statue of the ole war criminal

“It was at the center of a deadly white nationalist rally in 2017, when Neo-Nazis and white supremacists tried to stop the city's plans to remove the statue.

A furnace is ignited and heats to more than 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit in a side yard of the foundry. Workers feed pieces of the verdigris statue, including General Lee's saber, into a large vessel inside called a crucible.”

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-new...ee-melted-down-for-art-swords-into-plowshares

20. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020

It's a ridiculous progressive idea. I attended HB Plant HS and we were and are still the "Black Panthers". Go figure. :cool: