Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Vast Majority of Americans Support Photo ID and proof of Citizenship to vote

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by TheGator, Oct 24, 2024 at 3:31 PM.

1. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fees for photo IDs range from $10-$50 by state. People could live 50+ miles from the nearest government office and not have access to transportation. It's not a big deal for 90% of people but 10% is 15 million voters.

It's solving a problem that doesn't exist. The punishment for voter fraud is one of the most extreme from a risk/reward standpoint.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Okay. Specifically, what is BS? Explain to this "dumb" liberal what is incorrect, my illiberal friend.

3. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I have no general objection to requiring ID to vote, but there's a reason for skepticism in terms of the motives and how it's implemented. Anybody remember this?

In Alabama, a long history of suppressing Black votes continues

Decades later, the Voting Rights Act of 1965 required Alabama, along with several other states, to seek clearance before any voting laws and rules could be considered. The law was credited with blocking Alabama from passing more than 100 proposed changes to voting laws or rules that the Justice Department concluded were discriminatory against people of color.

But in 2013, that ended. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Shelby County, Alabama v. Holder that pre-clearance was unconstitutional. Immediately, the state and local governments began to impose barriers that disproportionately suppressed the Black vote, including establishing a voter ID requirement, shuttering driver’s license offices and polling places, and purging voter rolls.

In 2015, shortly after the Shelby County ruling, then-Gov. Robert Bentley closed 31 motor vehicle offices for budgetary reasons. A state study concluded the closures disproportionately impacted Black communities. Of the 11 Alabama counties that had a majority-minority population, eight — about 73% — had a motor vehicle office closed. Of the remaining 56 counties with majority-white populations, 41% saw a closure.

The state responded by reopening some offices with limited hours, but access remains a problem in some Black counties, Carroll said. For example, in Wilcox County, which is 71% Black and has a median income of a little more than $27,000, the single motor vehicle office that the state reopened doesn’t have a website where residents could find out the hours it was open.

4. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    My wife and kids needed a certified copy of their birth certificates to get a US passport.
    Note they all were born here and have never traveled outside the US and all have DLs in Florida.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I could never nor would I vote by mail in Florida. My sig doesn’t look anything like it did when I registered 38 years ago..;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    I vote by mail in most of the minor elections and surrender my mail ballot and vote in person for the big ones. This was my first major election using VBM and it was no big whoop.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Naturalization papers or a birth certificate serve as proof of citizenship for voting as well as passports. Fortunately!

My mom was an orphan in Europe during WWII and her certificate is long lost. If GA had insisted on a birth certificate, we would have been thrust into an unimaginable bureaucratic hell.

8. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    great, lets start using Gallop Polls to pass laws.

With continued mass-shootings with Assault Weapons I imagine this only moved more to common sense vs a "own the libs and encourage proliferation of AR15s." .....

Majority in U.S. Continues to Favor Stricter Gun Laws

Abortion would still be legal...

Where Do Americans Stand on Abortion?

And more support for Ukraine....

More Americans Say U.S. Is Not Helping Ukraine Enough

9. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Then make state issued ID cards free.

I've been registered to vote starting in Alachua county in 1986, Pinellas county in 1990 and then Hillsborough County from 1993 to the present, but I do not recall ever having to show any documents to confirm that I am a U.S. Citizen. What do people want to require potential voters to have?

10. magnetofsnatch

magnetofsnatch Rudy Ray Moore’s Idol Premium Member

Apr 10, 2020
    North Florida
    Over a 4 year period a person couldn’t save up $10-$50 bucks? Find a way to get to a govt office? Just more extreme excuses for something so painfully simple it’s laughable.

10% of Americans? Do you read your own bullshit?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. magnetofsnatch

magnetofsnatch Rudy Ray Moore’s Idol Premium Member

Apr 10, 2020
    North Florida
    More than 97% of Americans own a cell phone. Can find a way to have one of those but it’s too onerous to get a photo ID? Makes sense.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    It's a bullshit question full of assumptions.

13. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If fraud isn't a problem, then why make it harder on people? If there's a cost and inconvenience then it's going to discourage people to vote.

We should be talking about ways to make it easier so that even more people vote.

14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Why do you think there are at least 15 states that require no ID to vote?

15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    So the other 3% are somehow insignif? What about the 10% who actually do not own a smart phone? It's only 10% right?