Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

US Core inflation level lowest in 3 years

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Sep 29, 2023.

1. Gatoragman

Gatoragman GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2008
    Strange that you live in utopia with all the unicorns and think this economy and everything about it is just hunky dory. By gosh just look at the graphs and the data.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The data is based on the real world, not a utopia. It is based on how customers actually spend their money and the price changes associated with this spending on average. So this is a nonsensical claim. Why don't you work on it and try again?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. Gatoragman

Jan 4, 2008
    Yes, and the border is closed and under control. And Biden is not suffering from any cognitive reduction. And Trump is Hitler. And the antisemitism we are seeing now at the most liberal colleges is all the right wingers that attend.
    But I'm nonsensical!
    Why don't you come on down out of that ivory tower and see what the rest of us deal with every day?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    That is not true. Feds did QE in 3 rounds between 2008 and finally stopping in 2014. It didn't happen again until 2020.

The supply chain at the level it happened was definitely unprecedented. It was a trifecta though. Large amount of money available, low rates, shortage of workers, ect...

Trump was not doing great with getting our spending under control but then 2020 happened and it went out of this world. Both Biden and Trump used the pandemic as a reason to send out money at a level we have not seen since WW2 presidents.

Blows me away that anyone disputes the extra money out there between 2020-2021 as not a big factor in inflation...

• Winner Winner x 4
  5. Gatoragman

Jan 4, 2008
    If you can't show it on graph, be prepared to be lambasted as uneducated or unwilling to just read the graphs, it tells you what you need to know, not reality you see in front of you!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So your answer is to list a bunch of random resentments that you have based on your media consumption to avoid actually examining data? Seems like an interesting defense mechanism. But what is the point of it?

But sure, I don't buy stuff, just sit around in an ivory tower and people bring me everything for free. You got it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  7. Gatoragman

Jan 4, 2008
    My resentments equal reality to most who don't live in the ivory towered echo chamber

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    It is interesting how you need everybody to feel your resentments. But, the reality is, many don't. You dismiss those people as living in an "ivory tower echo chamber."

And how are your resentments not a result of an echo chamber? Where do you get your information on the border to assess the situation? Do you regularly visit border control areas? Do you regularly engage in medical assessments on the President? So where are you getting your information from and explain how it isn't an echo chamber.

Heck, nobody has questioned your education on this thread, and, yet, your resentments tell you that we have. Why?

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Gatoragman

Jan 4, 2008
    You are correct that many of the conversations that you and I have had were not condescending from your part. We just disagree about much and that is ok. I probably shouldn't have had these replies directed at you as they were more directed at a lot of the other left leaners. You may not see it because you tend to agree with the premise of the argument from your side, but when you are from the right, the condescension from a lot of posters here is palpable. I get my news from a lot of sources, and I don't just read what they say I try to follow up with any video evidence so I can see it for myself. As far as Biden goes, that is fine if you think he hasn't had cognitive decline, but what he says, how he gets lost on stage, his falls, says different.

10. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    True. If you want people to take you seriously you need actual data, not anecdotal examples chosen to make things look as bad as possible.

11. littlebluelw

littlebluelw GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    upload_2023-11-15_10-52-3.png

Just paid $226 for our Thanksgiving beef tenderloin. It was $130 last year.

12. littlebluelw

Apr 3, 2007
    city doesnt need defending. see post 150. his quote 'hope you understand the math' is self explanatory as to his implication.

13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    that drought out west wiped out herds that ranchers couldn't afford to feed and the effect of losing that many younger steers is now hitting the market. That better be a good tenderloin.

• Like Like x 1
  14. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    It was A factor. Not THE factor. I'd say around a third of the impact, just like this study indicates, which is why i think the rate increases were draconian to stomp out 2.6% that would have waned on its own.

The answer, according to a new study by the St. Louis Fed, is that government stimulus was indeed responsible for some U.S. inflation. The authors found that 2.6 percentage points of the 7.9% 12-month inflation rate in February 2022 was due to stimulus.

Stimulus money boosted inflation by 2.6%—but it also likely prevented an even worse crisis, Fed study finds

15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I didn’t say QE was continual. I said interest rates were exceptionally low basically since all the way back to the Great Recession, and we had very low inflation despite that. Don’t you remember Trump wanted to fire Powell for daring to raise rates? Apparently he thought 2.25% fed funds rate was enough to sabotage the economy. Obviously the Pandemic sent things back all the way to ZIRP and beyond. But that was all necessary at the time.

Another poster beat me to the analysis of the “stimulus” money, but I think the top level is that all that “free money” was already spent through before inflation started accelerating toward peak. You said it yourself, all that stuff was 2020-2021. Inflation peaked in 2022 and early 2023. That tells me something else was the driving force. To the extent it contributed towards later inflation, it would be in the “household savings” category. IMO. But it could never be a sustainable driver of inflation because it was an expired policy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. littlebluelw

Apr 3, 2007
  17. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    1. There was a lot of excess savings built up due to the loose money and massive government stimulus, and it has taken a while for that to flow through the system

2. There is a momentum to inflation, not unlike physics. Once it starts, it gets momentum and it doesn’t quickly just stop. It becomes part of expectations and becomes part of the wage and price cycle. As successful as Volcker was 40 years ago inflation stayed in the 3-6% range until the mid 1990s.

3. Deficits are still running nearly 2 trillion a year with added spending which is probably contributing somewhat.

19. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    Got my Florida Blue renewal - 8.8% increase for 2024. United Health Care is up 13.3%.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

Got my renewal in the mail. I’m part of the city of Tampa medical insurance plan since I worked there. I have to pay 100% the plan cost or I can go my own way. Due to it being negotiated and a group plan it’s a little cheaper than a single plan with similar benefits.

What surprised me was the renewal is slightly cheaper for the same benefits. The difference is the current one is administered by Aetna. The 2024 plan will be switched over to Humana.

My thoughts are

I like Aetna and don’t know about Humana.

How can it be less with the same benefits unless I’m being fed a pile of dung or Humana agreed to a lesser cost to get the business?