Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Urban Klavzar

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by core545, Jun 16, 2024.

1. core545

core545 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    • Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    As best as I can tell - bringing in an Urban = championships.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  3. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Looks like a baller. Curious what his measurements are?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    love it. my guess is he's probably 6'1 but gets separation, is quick and has a quick release on his shot too

• Like Like x 1
  5. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    He's really good, and played at a high level from a young age. Would love him starting at PG for us.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rzinger

rzinger Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    I would guess his assist stat isn't great, but then it doesn't need to be.

7. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    How? Where? You can’t realistically sit Clayton, Martin, or Richard for him. Unless you mean winter 2025.

8. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    Nope, I meant this upcoming season. I happen to think we need a PG in the starting lineup, but I recognize I am in the minority. And I did catch that the article calls him "insurance" in the backcourt...but a player of his caliber won't be coming to UF to ride the bench.

Just my view....

As far as minutes...As of now, I don't really agree with this board about Clayton getting many minutes at PG (but I could be wrong, of course). And Golden said Martin won't really be playing PG (I am paraphrasing, the quote has been posted before)....so I see available minutes at the point.

• Like Like x 2
  9. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    There are only 5 players on the court. He can’t start over the other guys.

10. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    I'll amend and say "starter minutes" instead of starter. Again, my belief is that Clayton won't play as much PG as this board believes, and of course neither will Martin. I believe there are relevant PG minutes to be had...But maybe I am wrong about that; TFG won't return my calls this summer. : )

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Ok. Starter minutes makes more sense. I think he’ll be fighting with Aberdeen for those minutes though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    Agree to disagree. If that were the case, then why recruit Urban at all? Urban can hoop ya'll...

As per the article:

"Make no mistake about it, Klavzar is no “prospect” or development project, he is someone who could play in the SEC tomorrow and contribute at a high level"

Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Depth, and competition. Best man wins the minutes. I just don’t see him being brought in to start over our leading scorer or possibly our biggest transfer acquisition in Martin. He can’t really compete with Richard because we can’t realistically roll out Clayton, Martin and Urban in the starting lineup. It’s process of elimination. Aberdeen is the incumbent and likely either our sixth or seventh man, depending on Haugh and Alexis.

You have to imagine the starters would tentatively be:

Martin
    Clayton Jr
    Richard
    Condon
    Chineylu

Martin is almost certainly going to be the PG. I think he can handle it just fine.

14. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    TG specifically said that is not the case. Yeah, I can see where your opinion is coming from if you have Martin pegged as logging most of the PG minutes....But that's not happening as of this moment unless Golden has a change of heart.

15. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We don't have much guard depth right now. It's mainly Clayton, Martin and Aberdeen and if one goes down, we'd be in big trouble. There's room for another 20 minute guard IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Unless Clayton runs point... which I could see happening, but seemed wasn't the most efficient use of his skill set based upon last year's results. But if it isn't Clayton or Martin running point, then what we are saying is that Richard comes off the bench, and we start Three guards at . If Richard starts, then we have four "shorter" players (6'0", 6'2", 6'3", 6'4") and a 6'11 PF in in Condon as our starting 5. I don't see how this makes sense considering Haugh's performance/potential, and the additions of Alexis and Chineylu.

So... you can tell me what TFG said, but I don't see a scenario where Urban is our main PG, and certainly not our starting PG unless other people leave or get benched. Then you factor in 6'5" Junior Denzel Aberdeen who has shown great improvement and capability to come up big.

The Celtics are winning with Jrue Holiday, who is not an elite offensive or passing PG. He is a very solid and dependable PG, who is good defensively. He's not a Zyon Pullin type of PG. You don't need that to win. Martin, Clayton, and Richard can handle it by committee just fine, and Denzel, Urban, can be the second unit.

17. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010

Yes, the logjam of minutes is confusing. Something has to give. I have an opinion on which way that goes, but don't like to speculate publicly like that on this board.

Let's take 10 steps back and keep it simple: Why is TG recruiting someone from across the world, that is already a pro (and was at 14), that is fully capable of being an upper tier PG in the SEC?

To sit the bench? I just don't believe that to be true....But, I could be completely wrong. We'll see.

Either way, would love him on the team!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    I think we go for the best players we possibly can, regardless of who we think is going to start or who gets whatever minutes. He's a pure PG that has done well at a relatively high level, why not add a pure PG to the mix. We might find that our combo guards assuming ball handling duties are much better suited to play off the ball or are too turnover prone, why not use one of our 2 remaining scholarships on a guy like this? I think it's very smart. Best thing that could happen is he starts, worst thing that could happen is he's a spark off the bench. His 3pt and FT % are both pretty phenomenal and can create his own shot off the dribble

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If last season is the template for Todd Golden he wants a PG that can probe and dish or take the shot if left open. Off guards that can shoot spot up. Big guys back cut for lay-ups or get in position for offensive boards. Also big guys set high screens and roll. No low post offense. Too slow.

• Like Like x 2
  20. rball1313

rball1313 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think we’re going to remember how good Pullin was in protecting the ball, taking it deep into the lane, dishing it out,….with very limited turnovers. I’d go to war with Clayton any day,..a warrior,…but maybe not a PG?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2