Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Update: Kelly buzz..."The Thread" Hall of Fame bound.

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by tilly, Nov 10, 2017.

1. igabradley

igabradley GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Chattahoochee
    Yes. CBS and Bleacher Reports stated before this thread started the SEC was vetting Kelly for UF coach.

2. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Tilly...hope your dad will be okay. That's what's truly important.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. crl

crl GC Legend

Nov 8, 2008
    That is a very good point.

• Like Like x 1
  4. puntersarepeopletoo

puntersarepeopletoo All American

Oct 10, 2017
    Depends on what the concern is obviously. If Florida misses on Chip because we were overly concerned about something really small? It's going to be hard for Stricklin to excuse himself out of that decision. I understand if its a MAJOR concern. But again, if its something minor? Thats bad leadership by Stricklin IMO. Because as a program that is slowly moving into Tennessee levels of dumpster fire irrelevancy, you HAVE to take chances at this point. You should not move on from Chip over any minor concern.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. justkidding1

justkidding1 Junior

Nov 16, 2017
    All chip wants to do is football. So we probably good on that

6. puntersarepeopletoo

Oct 10, 2017
    UCLA

• Like Like x 1
  7. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 All American

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Here’s the key line from the CBS article: “Per 247Sports' Bruin Report Online, that big name is former Oregon coach Chip Kelly.”

Ok so now everyone go and actually read the 247 article ( https://247sports.com/college/ucla/...y-Pursuing-Chip-Kelly-as-Head-Coach-110752344 ), it’s 100% as speculative as anything posted about Kelly/UF the last week. No actual sources. No tweets from insiders. No friend of a friend told me. Just “sources say” and then a bunch of BS. So now because CBS lazily regurgitated speculation from another site along with some CBF writers tweets about how it would be an ideal hire (including one tweet that UCLA is trying to “get in line” for CK, which would mean someone else i.e. UF is in the lead) it’s game over? I think we can safely back off the ledge here.

If a real journalist actually has a direct source of information then I’ll start to worry, but even then it doesn’t mean we’re out of it. We may just have to pay more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. BenTrillGriffin

BenTrillGriffin All American

Oct 7, 2012
    Orlando
    Just FYI @tilly started this post 11/10. CBS and Bleacher Report reported the vetting of Kelly on 11/13.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. SailorGator

SailorGator Freshman

Sep 4, 2014
    he's from new hampshire. works two days a week at espn. never has been a "west coast guy". also a conservative.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. flipdaddy5

flipdaddy5 All American

Jan 3, 2015
    To me here is the silver lining in UCLA as a suitor, it hopefully puts major heat on SS and the UAA to get this damn thing autographed quickly and make it official.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. trufloridagator

trufloridagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The 247 update sounds positive from my Buddy. Won’t quote it obviously but TG continues to hear the details are close to being done and it may be imminent.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  12. puntersarepeopletoo

Oct 10, 2017
    This is also what I am hoping. I'm hoping that the second Stricklin saw or was texted the news of UCLA firing Mora he immediately got on the phone and started to make the calls that needed to be made and said "we need to get this done immediately"

13. flipdaddy5

flipdaddy5 All American

Jan 3, 2015
    Yes there's less distractions and I would think that LA would be a much bigger media market which he seems to not care for as hbc, and overall the best players are in Florida and the southeast conference.

• Like Like x 2
  14. magnafides

magnafides GC Hall of Fame

Aug 1, 2009
    South Florida
    Personally I believe that we are truly pretty far along in the contract talks. I'm not putting too much stock into an unsourced post on a UCLA-centric site -- maybe if there is significantly more smoke it'll be worth getting nervous about. Ultimately if Kelly ends up at UCLA it'll be because he wants to be there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. justkidding1

justkidding1 Junior

Nov 16, 2017
    Cool. A part of me is also optimistic about the leak of his agent visiting.

UCLA probably wouldn't leak that. Chips agent would if they wanted to force our hand.

That said, really don't have any clue how this will end but I have a feeling that things are going to move a little faster from here to the finish line.

And I vote Mullen if we miss on Chip and Frost. No Charlie, no norvell. Taggart if probably the only other one...just because if he turns out to be bad he will probably at least be like zook and leave a stacked roster behind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Thanks for the well wishes guys. Dad has had a tough time of late. Just a setback we hope.

• Friendly Friendly x 9
    • Like Like x 5
  17. AthensGator

AthensGator VIP Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Not so sure that matters much these days. I am employed in the northeast and i don't live there.

18. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    More definitive sourcing needs to start coming out tonight or its game over....CK dragging this out for no reason IMO

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

It's the most logical read. It's not like the Mora firing was unexpected. Agents leak all of the time in negotiations. Hopefully the pace picks up, as you said.

20. flat ronnie

flat ronnie All American

Oct 30, 2017
    This was posted on Reddit. Anyone have 247 access to confirm this:

"247 update:

Believe Florida is meeting with Chip today and they are going to sign on the deal.

He must have confirmed his earlier lead to report this.

Done deal"

• Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1