Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Update: Kelly buzz..."The Thread" Hall of Fame bound.

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by tilly, Nov 10, 2017.

1. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Quite the opposite. I have strange thoughts and sometimes they make their way to my keyboard. I was ligetimitally asking is there a straight man alive who doesn’t think she’s hot? Was actually wondering.

2. lakeland_gator

lakeland_gator Junior

Jan 23, 2014
    I don't know much about coaching and recruiting in CFB, but wasn't Geoff Collins our defensive coordinator in 2015 and 2016 when we were really good on defense? Wasn't Shannon the defensive coordinator this year, and then the interim head coach, when we've been horrible on defense? Hasn't Shannon supposedly been responsible for recruiting linebackers and South Florida and other defensive talent during the McElwain era? Shannon comes across as extremely professional and thoughtful during press conferences, so much so that I truly believed that we would come out and play really well against Missouri. Lord was I wrong. The proof is in the pudding. The results say that unfortunately Shannon is a subpar coach and recruiter. If Kelly doesn't want him, then he should be let go with some kind of dignity since he seems like such a stand-up guy.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. fierygator

fierygator GC Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    Apex, NC
    You can ink the deal now and have it not be effective until after the FSU game. Every play is an audition just as every play might be taken off to avoid injury with little to play for. Sure, bragging rights , pride, auditioning all come into play but who knows what we’ll get. The coaching search is a distraction for sure.

4. gatorr4life

gatorr4life -WE ARE THE BOYS- Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This thread shows you how hungry we are. Go gators

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. fierygator

fierygator GC Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    Apex, NC
    ^ I knew I was forgetting something while being glued to this thread the past few days. I need to eat.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. fierygator

fierygator GC Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    Apex, NC
    We’ve all seen the names Lupio, Day, and Helfrich tossed out as potential DC and OCs but if you could have any realistic hire who would you choose?

7. makattack

makattack GC Legend

Nov 17, 2017
    Ain't me!

8. sqgator

sqgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Checking in for those bouncing thingies.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. lakeland_gator

lakeland_gator Junior

Jan 23, 2014
    No offense but I just don't understand why you would be following this thread at all if that is your line of thinking.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Any realistic hire is a tough ask. There are some NFL guys I would kill to have as our DC if their coaching staff is fired this off-season. Issue is that it's probably not realistic to expect them to leave the NFL. I'd love to have Jim Leavitt, but he just joined Oregon last year. In that vein, realistically, I'd choose Tosh Lupoi as our DC. He's one of the best recruiters in the NCAA, and he's learning under some bright minds at Alabama.

As far as OC goes, Chip is the play-caller, so I'd prefer to have a guy who excels at recruiting and developing QBs. Tee Martin and Mario Cristobal are not QB guys, but they're outstanding recruiters. Ryan Day seems to be a QB guy, but I have no idea if he's a great recruiter.

11. makattack

makattack GC Legend

Nov 17, 2017
    Oh is that what you call them? [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. makattack

makattack GC Legend

Nov 17, 2017
    Ain't it cool to once again have a HC calling plays? And yet, we could still get a young, talented OC to train up. Pretty neat deal. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. 08Gatorbait

08Gatorbait Junior

Nov 27, 2013
    Tampa
    Honestly Day I'd be very okay with. Lupio is a monster freaking recruiter...so that works as well. I'd be very happy.

Here's a dark horse. Let's say Addazio gets fired at BC. Can anyone say Oline and recruiting coordinator?!?!?! Remember he sucked as an OC but my God that man could recruit and coach an offensive line. Pipe dream..I know ;/

Also Gene Chizik would be a good DC here. He certainly can recruit for Kelly as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I know I'll get killed for this, but if FSU comes out motivated and their defense plays up to anywhere near their capability, they might shut our offense out. I've been wrong many times before and in this case I hope I'm wrong again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 08Gatorbait

08Gatorbait Junior

Nov 27, 2013
    Tampa
    Yea...I didn't think about Cristobal. If just here and Kelly is runniing the offense, he would be amazing. New plan. Chizik and Cristobal!

• Like Like x 1
  16. 08Gatorbait

08Gatorbait Junior

Nov 27, 2013
    Tampa
    Honestly their defense is as bad as ours..so doubt it. They gave up over 30 to Boston College...because Boston College took their foot off the gas.

God this game will be ugly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gator_life_forever

gator_life_forever Freshman

Oct 30, 2017
    Might sound crazy but I'd like for the next coach to take a chance on someobe like Ed Reed as a coach. Reed was the assistant secondry coach for the Jets last year but was not retained with the new staff. I think someone like Reed would get players to UF without even recruiting them. I'm not saying bring him in as the DC but I'd bring him in as the DB coach for sure. He has said he wants to coach so why not bring him in. He could recruit south Florida for us. I' sure all the dbs down there want to be like him he's a hof player

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatorbate91

gatorbate91 GC Legend

Dec 15, 2014
    Peel that banana!! You had me at hello

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Then by all means he should be hired before the FSU game. The players will know he's their next coach and will play to impress him. They might even win the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. lakeland_gator

lakeland_gator Junior

Jan 23, 2014
    Honestly man, were you hammered when you wrote all of these posts attacking people? Did you have a tough day/week at work and are taking it out on others? There are skeptical posts, which are fair, and then there are your posts where you are essentially calling people liars, legacy seekers, publicity whores, and such things. You have no proof whatsoever of any bad motives on the part of Tilly, BTG, and others. Your posts are nasty and rude.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1