Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Update: Kelly buzz..."The Thread" Hall of Fame bound.

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by tilly, Nov 10, 2017.

1. puntersarepeopletoo

puntersarepeopletoo All American

Oct 10, 2017
    There are a lot of lazy narratives and lazy posts from Florida fans and outsiders regarding Chip that I don't really understand.

Let's look at some of them.

One. Recruiting. Just because Chips mentioned his dislike of recruiting has no correlation to his actual recruiting.

Chips 3 full classes before leaving, per 247, ranked 12th, 12th and 14th.

That's pretty damn good for Oregon.

Don't think so? Need further context for that?

OK.

State of Oregon has 6 four-star recruits

State of Florida has 52 four-star recruits

Yes, sure, Kelly has to recruit against more powerhouse programs in the SE (UGA, FSU, UM, Bama primarily) vs his primary pain in the ass school in the NW was....Washington and USC? But there are a number of years in recruiting where UGA, Bama, FSU, UM and Florida all finished in the top 10. And as long as Chip hires a strong staff, I'm not concerned about his overblown recruiting concerns. That Oregon team that played Ohio State in the national title game, result be damned, that was mostly a team composed of Chip Kelly recruits.

So basically, Chips recruiting classes all finished in the top 15 and he recruited a team that went to the national title game. So be gone lazy damn narrative about Chips recruiting ability.

Chip in the NFL was a failure.

Don't care much for this. I think Chips time in the NFL actually made him a better coach. For once, Philly went 10-6 twice under him. 7-9 in year 3 after Chip overhauled the team (I realize Philly fans hated Chip but the point is, 7-9 isn't awful with what the Eagles had on their roster). Chip turned Nick Foles into a legitimate MVP candidate. In year 2, Mark Sanchez posted the best numbers of his career regarding QBR and QB Rating. MARK SANCHEZ AND NICK FOLES WERE ACTUAL COMPETENT QBS UNDER CHIP KELLY. Repeat that 100 times if need be. A dude whose most famous play was running into an offensive linemens ass was a QB that was actually above average under Chip. His time at SF? We going to judge Chip harshly because he won 2 games with the least talented roster in the NFL? I always laugh at the "Kap was trash" narrative that is absolutely false. 16 TDs, 4 INTs in 11 starts for Kap. How is that bad? He finished 23rd in the NFL in 2016 in QBR. Above Cam Newton FWIW. Oh, and further context, Kaps #1 WR was basically a guy who would be a WR4 for a majority of the NFL in Jeremy Kerly. Kerly had 115 targets in 2016. That is what Chip was working with on offense.

CHIP IS AN ASSHOLE.

Who cares? Seriously, who the hell cares? Why are Florida fans obsessed with Chips personality. You dudes trying to date Chip? Take him home so you can Netflix and chill?

Go through the top 25 poll and list out all the coaches who look like they are legitimate fun. I pretty much end at Dabo Sweeney. He's the only guy who I would WANT to get drunk with. Saban? Meyer? Hell go to the NFL and look at bill belichick, your best coaches normally are complete introverted assholes who want nothing to do with wasting their time speaking to clueless fans/boosters or answering the same shitty 10 questions a day from uncreative beat writers.

If Chip can coach, and he has proven he can in both the NFL and in college, why do we care about his personality?

I'll end with this, I like Frost. I wanted Chip more.

Look at the roster here right now. This team is currently not capable of running an aggressive read-option scheme. At all. Far from it. Mike Kent is arguably the worst S&C coordinator in the country and there is no way we can run Chips offense. Look at the QB depth chart here? It's bad. Corral could change that, but hes a true freshman, lets not put all our eggs in the basket of a true freshman who does NOT run a read-option offense. Sure, Toney could move to QB, but until it does I am only judging the QBs on this roster based off who is actually playing QB.

The fact that Chip Kelly got competent play out of Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez tells me that maybe he can save Franks, maybe he gets a career year out of LDR, maybe Corral starts from day 1 and gives us Fromm level play. But what I know is that the time Chip spent in the NFL forced him to adjust. When the NFL shut his read-option down Chip had to figure out how to call games more traditionally and he did it. It wasn't elite, but it worked.

Now he comes to Florida and plays in a conference that continues to get worse?

I'm sorry. But if you hate this hire there is a strong chance that you know very, very, very little about the game of football. You've grown so obsessed with Scott Frost and his grand old 2 years of head coaching experience that Stricklin is taking a chance on a guy with prior NCAA issues probably in part BECAUSE CHIP HAS 8 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE. You're probably the same guy who cursed out Foley for hiring Zook, Muschamp and Mac because of their experience yet you're mad Stricklin is bagging a free agent coach with 8 years because you wanted the guy in Frost with 2?

That's my rant.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 7
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Just visited Canes and Bama MB'S
    To say they are worried about this hire is a understatement!:cool:

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. gatorbate91

gatorbate91 GC Legend

Dec 15, 2014
    What's this notion that stricknine has to be on the plane to Conn anyway. Just pick him up and come on back. Easy peasy.

4. Jayhovah

Jayhovah Premium Member

May 15, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  5. puntersarepeopletoo

puntersarepeopletoo All American

Oct 10, 2017
    I just had to get it off my chest because im reading a lot of silly garbage right now. most of it that is completely unfounded in any kind of fact or reality/

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. 21

21 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 24, 2007
    Best post of this thread

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL

That doesn't look like a guy who's stressed out negotiating with Jimmy Sexton. More like a guy who already got the deal done!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. flat ronnie

flat ronnie All American

Oct 30, 2017
    More people talk (and are wrong) the more I think this is not done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SailorGator

SailorGator Freshman

Sep 4, 2014
    i've been preaching the same thing since this search started. it's baffling how people think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pasco08

Pasco08 All American

Sep 5, 2013
    Dade City FL
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. upstategator

upstategator GC Legend

Nov 1, 2017
    4.5 seems low...no?

12. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Excellent body language. No labored gait.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Charge your battery or you will miss this going to 150 pages!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Eggy21

Eggy21 GC Legend

Dec 8, 2010
    Westerly, RI
    He's still making NFL money from SF.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Pasco08

Pasco08 All American

Sep 5, 2013
    Dade City FL
    Not from my phone pulled the screenshot from a Gators FB group

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. camp1

camp1 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Except he is getting 5 more from SF for the next 3 years.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I hope it's true that Kelly came to us and that SOS and SS said "so tell me your plan and convince me you're the man."

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Clearwater, FL
    The part of this that doesn't quite make sense to me, if they're going to pick him up, is that Kelly lives in Manchester, NH, which would have it's own regional airport or is considerably closer to Boston than Hartford.

That is unless Kelly is either coming from or heading to Bristol, CT for ESPN studio duties.

19. LonedawgUF

LonedawgUF VIP Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Oviedo, FL
    My favorite part about Kelly, when asked about his offense he said he ran what his personnel could run. If he had the players to run the power I, he would run the Power I. This tells me its not a system he coaches. It tells me he knows how to put players in positions to be successful and score points. That is the reason I would rather have Kelly than Frost.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Not at all, that is about what he is worth.

Win a few SEC titles and a Natty or 2 and it will go up.

• Winner Winner x 3