Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Update: Kelly buzz..."The Thread" Hall of Fame bound.

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by tilly, Nov 10, 2017.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

It's all relative. I remember Christmas as a teenager playing volleyball on Siesta Key. Felt like Christmas to me at the time. But now having spent half my life up here in NC, I enjoy the seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  2. strulock

strulock Junior

Sep 2, 2017
    Lebm fiddy

3. it just started raining here in Lake placid... high tomorrow is 62... low 50's in the morning... for much of this coming week, the won't touch 60 for the high... great huntin weather!!!

4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Eleven fifty.

5. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Sure is. We seem to have missed most of the snow here in the Triangle area. It has stayed to the west of us so far, but still rainy and cold. Thank goodness my daughter's band pulled out of the Cary Christmas parade today!

• Like Like x 1
  6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It's going down to 30 tonight in Palatka. That's not counting the wind chill factor and the stink from the pulp and paper mill.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. fierygator

fierygator GC Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    Apex, NC
    Which high school?

8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

It probably lasts longer

9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

that’s because they’re real :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

you live in Palatka?

11. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Yep. And don't tell anybody, but there's a Confederate statue in front of the courthouse.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Interesting - I started an exchange a while back about how odd it is that a town in such a great location continues to just sit with zero development. In Florida, bullshit little developer towns spring up in locations that offer damn little beyond heat and scrub trees - all the while Palatka just sits there on the banks of the St. John’s River and ...... just sits there half boarded up.

I honestly don’t get it. Is that the way y’all in Palatka prefer it to stay?

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    There was an article about it in the Washington Post back in August. Reprinted in the St. Augustine Record:

http://staugustine.com/news/florida...-so-dying-city-palatka-determined-save-itself

14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

15. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I think Palatka was included in Hillary's basket of deplorables.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You’d think a money hungry developer could do wonders with that waterfront

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Coco, I'm sure your town is a fine place.
    But, how many new student arrivals in Gainesville through the years have asked "what's that smell?" The paper mills in Palatka was the inevitable answer. When the wind was right, that unmistakable putrescence of something having died in a bucket of sulfur and rotten eggs left a lasting impression of Palatka on a person such that they might avoid the place forever. I have passed through Palatka a few times recently and it smelled almost normal. Have they closed the mills or cleaned them up somehow? If the mills have indeed been cleaned up, the city council might consider changing the name of the place. I can smell the place circa 1975 just by typing "Palatka".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I think the smell actually is pretty well gone. I'm sure there's some new technology out at the mill, though I haven't been out there in ages. (I worked summers there during college.) But in the old days it was funny to think about some young couple on the road, driving by Palatka, sensing that smell and not knowing about the mill. They look at each other and say, "It wasn't me." Then they each think the other one's lying.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Green Hope!

20. fierygator

fierygator GC Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    Apex, NC
    Was the same for me growing and heading to see my grandparents in Panama City. When I could smell the paper mill I knew we were close.