Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Update for Movie suggestions

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Orange_and_Bluke, Apr 14, 2023.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Not a movie. The Curse (showtime/paramount+). Wow. Only seen 1 ep. Already calling it. Masterpiece!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    This is fun if you like movies about "gypsies" putting curses on people - think Thinner.

Drag Me to Hell (2009) ⭐ 6.6 | Horror

A loan officer who evicts an old woman from her home finds herself the recipient of a supernatural curse. Desperate, she turns to a seer to try and save her soul, while evil forces work to push her to a breaking point.

3. mrhansduck

Nov 23, 2021
    Rented this new release last night. Exactly what you'd expect. Nothing earth-shattering but recommend if you're in the mood for some revenge action.

Muzzle (2023) ⭐ 5.4 | Action, Crime, Thriller

After his dog is killed in Skid Row, Jake Rosser plummets deep into a sinister underworld to uncover the truth about who may be responsible.

4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Anything with Nathan Fielder is a masterpiece

5. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I didnt find anything confusing, just far fetched even for a run of the mill slasher movie... I wouldnt call it a horror since the only thing scary was the price of my wife's popcorn.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    according to a coworker, the movie is better to understand if you're familiar with the video game. I had never heard of the video game before. I thought it would be a horror movie since the previews kind of implied that but knew I would be disappointed right at the beginning when I saw it was only rated PG-13.

7. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    My nerves were on edge the whole time watching this movie, so I don’t want to watch it everyday, but I love this movie. Great acting and a perfect setup leading that chilling final reel.

I didn’t hear the problems with the music either, but it seems clear to me that such a dude would certainly make up problems if he couldn’t find any real ones to increase motivation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Ok, here goes. Regrettably, yes I did watch it with my wife. Each Halloween I’m allowed to subject her to “fright week” where I curate a list of horror films that seem entertaining or thoughtful. The problem is that I hate knowing almost anything about films before I watch them. I get most of my impressions from rotten tomatoes consensuses, eg “Smart, darkly humorous, and above all scary, Barbarian offers a chilling and consistently unpredictable thrill ride for horror fans.”, so I occasionally misfire on film acceptability. As happened here. :emoji_sweat_smile:

As for the movie, it did not hide its feminist intentions, which was ok. The “main” movie guy is no doubt a person that really exists, except for the most extreme actions he takes. I liked the woman, and I liked the more conventional beginning in the Airbnb. Then the second stage of the film brought us the, um, new characters, which I’m not as sold on in retrospect. The scares were good, but these characters don’t seem to line up with reality as much. And much of the action was pretty messed up. I definitely felt for the “daughter”, I’ll call her. Definitely an unexpected plot, I’ll give it that!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    You nailed it.
    It was very entertaining for me and I really liked how it was broken up into two segments.
    And I really got a kick out of the final scene with that song choice…”be my baby”. LOL
    However, I never, never would have recommended it as a flick to watch with the wife. My bad on that.
    I fear I may have lost trust.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh no, you definitely didn’t recommend it as one to watch with the wife. You just recommended broadly. The wife part was all on me. She did get over it in a few days. Lol.

We also watched M3GAN which was not bad, rather entertaining. And The Old Dark House, which I liked, but you have to ok with really old movies. Zombie For Sale was pretty good, but it’s Korean, so you’ve got to be ok with subtitles. And we watched Let the Right One In, which is one of my faves (also subtitles).

11. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. mrhansduck

Nov 23, 2021
    I watched Barbarian tonight based on y’all’s posts. Will think about it a bit before reading reviews but definitely liked it.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Awesome. I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mrhansduck

Nov 23, 2021
    Okay, few thoughts in the spoiler link!

I thought it was very, very good from the writing and casting to the acting.

I've thought through and read about some of the more obvious themes to include gender (Tess says early on that women have to be cautious and men do not); sexual abuse (its consequences and how men who don't see themselves as bad often rationalize it); gentrification/white flight (made evident by the flashback); policing issues (the victims wanting and needing police help but the police not believing Tess and also having higher, more immediate priorities). There's probably also some commentary about modern consumerism and peoples' attenuated connections to a set place and trusted networks of people (e.g., the rental agency being strikingly indifferent about whether there might be holdover tenants still at the property). So all that was great and fun to dissect.

It's not uncommon for me with horror movies to wonder when they seem to be purposefully vague about whether there's something supernatural or super-human going on or not. The villains here (other than the accused actor) were portrayed as real people: the perverted old man and his children. We're told that these people were the result of many years of incest upon incest. That's all disturbing enough, of course. But how did the "mother" have the super-human strength to rip an adult man's arm completely off? It's just not humanly possible. Are we to take that as some sort of genetic mutation? A supernatural element in play, which was launched the pure evil of what had occurred? Are we supposed to just chalk up her super human strength to artistic license and not worry about that distinction too much?

The titles of the VHS tapes were probably the most chilling part to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    If you can fall off a water tower and survive in this world, maybe severed limbs can be deadly weapons

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Good thoughts. And I definitely feel your thoughts with the tapes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mrhansduck

Nov 23, 2021
    I started this last night. Was sad to learn they're not letting us binge it, lol. Pretty solid start for me.

18. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Godzilla fans will be happy soon.

19. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    Yes awesomely cringe worthy. Also I just re-upped Netflix and binged “Bodies”. I can’t begin to describe it in detail but it’s about the same murder in the same place in London in 1890, 1941, 2023, and 2053. Time travel is involved. I watched one episode while pleasantly high and had to rewatch the next day. You have to pay close attention.

This thread should be expanded to TV series. It’s where the best story telling is taking place.

20. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not if they don’t have Apple TV